Tarzan and His Mate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tarzan and His Mate Reviews

Antonius Block
½ May 28, 2017
'Tarzan and His Mate' is certainly better than the first film in the series, 'Tarzan the Ape Man' from two years earlier, bringing back Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan who are well cast and have good chemistry, adding more action, and (ahem) having O'Sullivan prance around in more revealing clothing (or lack thereof). How great is it that in the 1990s, the famous nude swimming scene, previously censored because of pressure from conservative religious groups, was found and restored - though O'Sullivan had a body double, Olympic athlete Josephine McKim. I have to say though, it is O'Sullivan's sex appeal that is the main reason to watch this film.

There are still plenty of moments that will induce groans, including the racist treatment of the natives, two explorers in search of ivory and wanting to take Jane back to civilization bestowing on her gowns and perfumes, and various antics of Cheetah the chimp, including having a smoke. Tarzan saves Jane repeatedly from various wild animals, some of which works, really showing off Weissmuller's athleticism, but some of which is just filler. In one scene that made me smile, Tarzan is clearly aroused by her, sniffing and pawing at her in front of the two explorers, and then picking her up to take her off to presumably have his way with her, ending her night with them early. Get the picture? It's a mixed bag. If you find that the first half of the movie drags (despite some casual topless native woman in some early shots), I would say stick with it. There is enough here to make it worth watching, and the battle scene toward the end is pretty good.
February 8, 2017
Loved it, to my surprise! Loved Jane in particular - I did not know they allowed such scanty clothing on a woman on screen - it seems if they cover they belly button all is ok)! Fast and exciting action. Had to keep watching to the end!
November 10, 2016
Comparing my viewing experience to Danny Peary's, reading his Cult Movies, I had a lot more trouble suspending my logic. He isn't wrong, though, to be bowled over by the eroticism in the movie. I was totally shocked by the outfits and nakedness. (Oh, THAT Hayes Code.) Totally enjoyed the sexy mates - and their thorough involvement with each other. I'd agree with Peary that part of the fascination is that it's Jane's story. I was a bit taken aback when he said that flipping Tarzan from a sophisticated educated man to a wordless, simple, feely guy made it possible for Jane to be his equal! But I see where he was going with it, and I agree they come off as equals.
July 11, 2016
Love these old Tarzan movies with Johnny Weissmuller and these early ones are the best. We used to watch them on Tarzan Theater on TV back in Pittsburgh in the late 50s and early 60s. They are corny and formulaic, but lots of fun. And Weissmuller really did swim that fast--they did not speed up the filming--he was and eight time gold metal Olympic swimmer.
April 3, 2015
It gets the star for SFX and hot bodies.
October 19, 2014
a good sequel to Tarzan the ape man(1932) almost as good as the first one.
October 17, 2014
Not one for the conservationist, as Tarzan goes around killing every animal that even glances at his wife Jane in this one, the rest of the time it's all about ivory hunters with plenty of very real-life looking tusks on show sadly detached from their owner. Johnny Weissmuller's second outing as the man of the jungle is decidedly average, but to be fair most of these films were.
September 17, 2014
Terror! Tension! Trapeze! Gams!
½ January 21, 2014
The Adventures of Tarzan and Jane--A good follow-up to the excellent original!!
December 5, 2013
The size of the plot may have matched the size of the loin cloth but it still engages the audience.
June 1, 2013
The Best Tarzan film ever made. Maureen O'Sullivan is far sexier in a loincloth than Bo Derek nekkid. One of the best adventure films ever made. Touching and timeless.
February 25, 2013
Kinda sappy but surprisingly good! Of course, the swimming scene that caused so much controversy ended up being the most beautiful and artistic scene of the whole film.
September 14, 2012
Great Movie.

When you think Tarzan & Jane you think Johnny Weissmuller & Maureen O'Sullivan
August 30, 2012
The best of the MGM Tarzan movies, which means it is the best Tarzan movie. It is fitting that it is considered the best movie even though this is the second of the Weissmuller / O'Sullivan movies since many think that the second book in the Tarzan series, "The Return of Tarzan" is the best in the series. While many think the Tarzan movies are kid movies, this one has alot of adult content, including a skinny-dipping scene, and was one of the main movies for the Hays Code. It follows the typical Tarzan plot; follow Tarzan and Jane around for awhile, enter in bad white hunters, Tarzan gets hurt and Jane abducted, Tarzan rescues Jane with help of animals. This one is different because it is pre-code, the scenes are graphic, and the story is treated for adults and not dumbed down for kids.
August 5, 2012
Probably the best of the MGM Tarzan films with some very exciting scenes, particularly the lion attack finale. The film also includes a surprising amount pre-production code of naughtiness , with Mia Farrow's mom in some pretty racy outfits as Jane and Tarzan and his "mate" sharing a bed, not to mention the skinny dipping scene. It's all pretty tame by today's standards, but it's not what you typically see in classic Hollywood films.
August 3, 2012
picks up where the first one ended and one of the few sequels 2 be as good as or better than the first pic.
May 4, 2012
So Im pretty sure this is the original, Tarzan and Jane. I hated that movie! But Im definitely interested on how this is.
March 23, 2012
This movie made me fall in love with Tarzan. Controversial swimming scene not included.
September 4, 2011
Definitely better than the first entry, this Tarzan movie has a lot to offer. It successfully adds on to the creations of the first film while bettering them in most every way. In some ways it is more of the same, but it has just enough new things that really make this film stand out.