Tarzan Escapes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tarzan Escapes Reviews

½ May 28, 2016
I'm more fascinated by the behind-the-senses aspects of this film, which is that the original cut of the film was deemed to violent and intense for audiences and was extensively recut and reshot, eliminating scenes such as an attack on Tarzan by vampire bats and other graphically violent moments. However, the film that remains is still quite good by Tarzan standards. Johnny Weissmuller returns at Tarzan and Maureen O'Sullivan is back as Jane. In this film a group of great white hunters want to put Tarzan on display for profit and entertainment. Tarzan does not like being captured and therefore, as the title suggests, must escape. The film is credited as being directed by Richard Thorpe, but John Farrow reshot much of the original film directed by James C. McKay . Farrow would later marry star O'Sullivan, who's daughter Mia Farrow wold become a movie star herself. George B. Seitz and William A. Wellman also reportedly worked on this film as well.
May 17, 2016
the last of the 'good' tarzans plus I've seee Spanish movie poster Tarzan Escapo! which I thought was way cooler than US version.
½ February 20, 2015
We get to see a large slice of Tarzan's normal home life in this film in the series and it's not that different to the western world despite being in the jungle. Jane's prim and proper wife as well as posh speaking demeanour is the dominant force here and it could not look more out of place in the middle of nature at its most wild. The story itself is pretty bland.
½ January 19, 2014
Johnny Weissmuller is the preeminent Tarzan--Fastpaced and violent!!
December 26, 2013
I enjoyed this Tarzan adventure as is surely one of Weissmullers best efforts and youi can tell the special fx crew at the time tried to pull out all the stops.
March 23, 2012
Tarzan is still King of the Jungle with this sequel. Weissmuller's stunts blow your mind.
March 13, 2011
½ November 28, 2010
3rd Tarzan film fell victim to the censors. The initial cut of Tarzan Escapes proved to blood curdling for preview audiences. MGM fired the original director, and replaced him with a second, who reshot and recut the entire movie. When MGM screened this cut, the film's violence still proved to be too potent. MGM fired the second director, and replaced him with a 3rd and a 4th. The film's first half displays the potential of this picture as do some moments in its choppy second half, which is a mish-mash of used and unused footage from earlier pictures. A decent curio that could've been great.
November 17, 2010
Viihdyttävä Tarzan-seikkailu.
June 14, 2010
The third Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan movie is one of the worst. This was a rehash of the first two movies. Sometimes they used the same of leftover footage. The plot of the movie is that Jane's cousins come to Africa to find her and bring her back to clam her inheritance. They hire a evil safari guide to take them to Tarzan. He brings a steel cage to capture Tarzan and bring him back to civilization. In order to get there they have to get past a tribe of evil black natives. All the African natives in Tarzan movies are either fearful porters used as human pack animals or savage hostiles killing everyone they come in contact with. When they find Tarzan and Jane, they are living in a tree house with an elephant powered elevator and a dining table with dishes and utensils. When they tell Jane why they came, Tarzan turns into a pussy whipped wimp. At some point Tarzan lets himself get locked in the steel cage. Everyone gets captured by the evil natives and Tarzan is freed by a couple of elephants. Tarzan rescues Jane with an elephant stampede. When I was a kid they showed all these Tarzan movies on Saturday afternoon TV and I watched all of them. I don't remember this one, probably because everything in this movie is a repeat of the first two movies. The only time Tarzan fights a wild animal is when he fights a crocodile to save a fawn. But it was just the same fight they filmed for Tarzan and His Mate. Then at the end of the movie Jane's cousins decide, "Oh, you don't have to come back to England. We just need your signature."
March 11, 2010
16! Count 'em, 16 deaths in this one, including a number of grisley killings. I read they had to reshoot a lot of the killings because they were too nasty for the time, buit what's left is fairly eye-opening.
The constant action and violence and lack of men in bad ape suits make this pretty watchable, though there is an extended section where we see how Tarzan and Jane have equipped their treehouse with all the modern convieniences that kind of plays like an episode of the Flintstones.
Weissmuller swims of course, wrestles crocodiles and lions while Sullivan is precious and gives the story its heart. Cheetah gets laughs but at this point has not turned into a cartoon yet.
½ December 20, 2009
I love these old classic Tarzan flicks.
July 27, 2009
It just wouldn't be summer without watching some good old-fashioned, colonialist, racist, anti-lion adventure movies. But really? Killer iguanas swimming in lava pits?
December 11, 2008
Tarzan is domesticated and even cries, Jane wears an expertly-sewn, body-covering dress, lots of action footage is recycled from the first two movies, monkey humor is everywhere, all the violence happens off screen, the most terrifying creatures are harmless looking iguanas, and the only nudity is some native children's backsides. The Hays Code has hit Tarzan hard. What a shame. Script by Cyril Hume.
October 6, 2008
A good follow-up to the first Weissmuller/Tarzan film. The jungle love heats up, the cute critters get cuter, and man, are those native henchmen ever expendable. Every time you see a caravan treking over any mountain or cliff, you can be sure that someone is going to plunge to their death.
½ May 30, 2008
I love these old classic Tarzan flicks.
½ February 10, 2008
6.5/10. Not the best of the Johnny Weismuller Tarzan films, but it is still a very entertaining movie. Good production, some fine camerawork. Enjoyable with a fine cast. Reasonably suspenseful.
January 28, 2008
Tarzen is the ideal man in these films - beautiful and will only limited language skills. They used to make my summer holidays
½ January 25, 2008
What might have been. This could have been one of the best Tarzan movies of all time, except that there had to have been several cuts made because the movie was deemed to scary. Weissmuller and O'Sullivan were on top of their game as Tarzan and Jane. I really got a kick out of the supporting character, Rawlins. Maybe it was me, but Cheetah seemed really malicious or jealous of Tarzan. Oh well still an pretty good movie though.