Taxidermia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Taxidermia Reviews

October 19, 2016
The surreal approach to story telling is astounding.
August 12, 2016
I didn't even understand anything, but could still follow the story and script 100%. It was a brilliant, yet super artsy film. Weird, but such a good movie. I just have a dark sense of humour.
½ April 26, 2016
Very much inspired in its grotesque nature, Taxidermia compiles three equally abhorrably related stories that are powerfully directed as well as written to shock with plenty of value behind.
February 14, 2016
Even though I could not speak the language, it was a really good movie. Actualy this movie is pretty artistic. It was what you called brilliant in being absolutely weird. I know it could be wierder, but this movie had a good ammount of weird. I injoyed the artistic humour, and some scenes made me laugh. Especially the horny soldier scenes. The acting was good, as for the script, the story was good, just cant understand the words. It was not really a disgusting movie, unless you have high sympathy, or a weak soul
½ August 25, 2015
There's a difference between body horror and gross-out. The former is intended to unsettle the mind, the latter, the digestive system. This film is the latter.
½ August 5, 2015
Truly the most bizarre over the top movie I have ever seen. Makes The Cook the Thief and her Lover look like a walk in the park. A great small window into a satire of communism. Not for the faint of heart.
½ May 27, 2015
Is a movie horrofic, out is disgusting, I mean, achieves its goal. has three points turns what extend does the plot.
½ March 29, 2015
I have a Hungarian friend who always complained that the cardboard cutouts of the speed-trap policemen in Hungary were short and fat compared to their Austrian superman-esque counterparts. I never forgot this accusation of negative self-perception and I wonder if that was the basis of this film. This is about three generations of a family who's main character is a speed eating champion and lives in a world where being thin is to be weak. The first part of the film concerns his conception which is totally messed up and pretty disturbing but very funny. The middle, about his career and love-life, also some of the most twisted filmmaking ever, and finally about his relationship with his thin son who is a taxidermist. The end part is a little slow but well worth the wait for the ending. Despite being disturbing, funny, and bizarre, the whole film is made very stylishly with some excellent direction. This film should be a lot more famous than it is. I guess this is down to the fact that it's in the Hungarian language, which, by the way, is one of the most interesting languages I have ever come across, with loads of hilarious phrases and put-downs. I found this to be extremely original but a Hungarian friend was not of the same opinion. aparently there a lot of films like this from Hungary, which I will now be searching for.
February 22, 2015
Every visual and camera movement is art, the dark humor and twisted material is just enough to make you uncomfortable. The ending sequence is fantastic. This movie is an allegory to how simple minded most of the human race can be. With the final character showing what repression does to oneself. I've watched this once and it is disturbing without using horror like editing and quick camera movements. I could see this movie being a Stanley Kubrick film if he was alive and wanted to do this movie.
December 29, 2014
Hard to watch a lot of the time but also intriguing. Not sure the film ended with any specific point which was frustrating considering the mental stamina it took to watch.
July 28, 2014
great understandings messages of cryptic wisdom's beautifully directed obscurely prophetic
July 2, 2014
Seized my attention before realising I was being skull-fucked. Repeatedly.
May 26, 2014
Not for everyone; Not for most. Graphic content, amazing movie. However, there is one pedophilic scene that nearly had me shut the whole thing down. Glad I kept watching, though I could have done without that one, single, scene. Taxidermia is in my top ten of the genre. Unforgettable.
½ May 9, 2014
A good film indeed, however too bizarre for me and it made me sick way too many times to rate it higher; interesting ending definitely hard to watch without puking...
½ April 2, 2014
Disgusting yet beautiful, "Taxidermia" is a stunningly original and audacious work--Putting the Gory in the Allegory, or Vices Versa Vices!!
March 27, 2014
MMMMM I don't know...
October 24, 2013
Grotesquely, bizarre an exquisite!
October 12, 2013
Pálfi has crafted a defiant, mystifying gem of body horror that may be, literally, too much for some to stomach. But deep contemplative undercurrents make it impossible to look away from. Indeed, there are things that just cannot be mounted.
½ September 27, 2013
This movie was a real discovery of the Hungarian culture and habits even if it was very absurd in some parts such as the ending.