Tea and Sympathy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tea and Sympathy Reviews

July 28, 2014
A true masterpiece from start to finish.
April 25, 2012
Amazing. Beautifully directed. It's a shame the play had to be chopped up just to be accepted as a film project.
½ January 23, 2011
This 1950s version of "Boys Don't Cry" is finely filmed by Vincente Minnelli and well acted by the leads, but to a modern audience it comes off rather campy and rather melodramatic.
June 22, 2010
vu la fin au "Cinéma de Minuit" sur France 3 ce dimanche 20 juin 2010 vers 1h du matin !
May 16, 2010
Vincente Minelli (Liza's father and husband of Judy Garland) is a very interesting director. Best known for Gigi and the Bandwagon his lesser known films such as this one and "Some came running" whilst still solidly within the hollywood paradigm hint at exploration of difficult subjects such as gender confusion and in some came running, loving "fallen women."
April 8, 2010
Tea and Sympathy (1956) -- [6.5] -- Vincente Minnelli sheds a bright light on gender politics in this story of a bullied teenager who finds solace with his housemaster's wife. It is fascinating to watch a film deal with mysogyny and homophobia at a time when these words were barely in our collective vocabulary. It's even more remarkable that this film, made during the height of rigid gender codes, asks the audience to identify with a male protagonist whose sexuality is constantly being questioned or assaulted. While I admire the movie's intentions, many of the scenes come off overwrought or a tad campy. Deborah Kerr does a fine job playing the housemaster's wife and John Kerr (no relation, I hope) does an admirable job as the harrassed boy. Both roles are surprisingly complex and vulnerable for a flick from the '50s. The movie's opening and closing theme music was later reworked by Elvis Presley into the song, "Can't Help Falling in Love."
½ September 2, 2009
Really good movie! I'm not good with 1950s movies usually... but this one was really good. I'm glad I didn't change the channel. lol That poor boy had it rough. And he had the best hair in movie. How dare his father suggest he get a crew cut!? Damn conformists. Stop bullying the cool people to make yourself feel better. I should smack you. I liked the ending. : ) Pretty darn good.
September 1, 2009
Wow. This was probably the best VM could do in 1957.
½ August 15, 2009
I'm ambivalent, on the one hand a thoughtful look at gender stereotypes, on the other, seems to be saying that all you need is the right woman to make an "all-right guy." Still, I can't watch the "Walking Scene" without thinking of Robin Williams and Nathan Lane in _The Birdcage_.
½ August 15, 2009
great subtext-more interesting 2 figure out whats going on underneath
½ February 6, 2009
Exquisitely cast and acted. A beautiful story as well, and Minnelli does a wonderful job directing.
½ January 11, 2009
I recorded this movie off TCM a long time ago and finally watched it after around six months. I have always liked Deborah Kerr, and also John Kerr from South Pacific. The movie started off like a corny old movie but I stuck with it and after a half hour or so realized I was really enjoying it, and by the end felt I had just watched a really great movie. You know, like the ones they just don't make anymore. The underlying storyline was really well done and can relate to any era, i.e. the machismo jock culture versus the tender man with a little bit of the feminine side, but a man no less. If you like great old movies, this is really a hidden jem and I thoroughly recommend it.
October 27, 2008
A very beautiful and touching portrayal of the interaction between an isolated boy and a neglected wife. A very well-written drama.
½ October 18, 2008
Excellent drama with another great performance by Deborah Kerr! Vincente Minnelli does a fine job with the tension and drama. Definitely a winner!
June 19, 2008
Revisited my aging VHS copy of this 1956 classic: Tea & Sympathy offers a prescient analysis of bullying, the violence of enforced gender codes, and rituals of homosocial normativity (enforced male merriment). At the same time that it oddly confronts the homophobia enmeshed in gender policing head-on, it also constantly elides its own nascent queer politics. The voice of conscience throughout, Laura‚??s sometimes proto-feminist / sometimes Mrs. Robinson-esque character is ultimately forced to retract/ repent her radical actions in a moralizing epistolary that closes the film. The protagonist, Tom (John Kerr) redeems himself by becoming a published author of a tell-all memoir.

Camp Quotables:
"But there are bittersweet memories, and they can be pleasant." Laura (Deborah Kerr)

"Years from now, when you talk about this--and you will--be kind." Laura (Deborah Kerr)
May 29, 2008
I hadn't seen this for years and didn't find it very convincing this time. I'm sure the stage play works much better.
August 31, 2007
Very well performed, except I didn't like the ending.
½ July 4, 2007
Definitely an amazing movie. I myself shouldn't see this movie, simply because it hits too close to home on more than one moment. I'm a little disappointed with the ending, but I have my own way of reading it. All in all, an amazing and cinematographically beautiful movie.
June 29, 2007