Teachers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teachers Reviews

August 29, 2015
Yeah, this is no 80's classic, but it's still a pretty nice film. Interesting look at the day to day dilemmas in education.
½ April 13, 2015
Too foolish to be taken seriously as it so wanted us too.
½ July 26, 2014
(First and only viewing - 5/11/2010)
½ October 11, 2013
When this first came out critics gave this film a lot of hate. Fast forward a couple decades later I wonder if they would feel the same way. This is exactly how most schools are these days. The last thing schools care about is education for our children. This film captures the politics of school perfectly!
August 19, 2012
An extended after-school special
½ February 22, 2012
A truly enjoyable and more than a little frightening satire about our failing school system; a subject that has become a lot more topical in recent years.
January 15, 2012
A decent seriocomic 80's flick.
½ March 18, 2011
An interesting piece of nostalgia from the 1980's.
January 16, 2011
This is the worst portrayal of a high school I've ever seen, and none of the actors were good either, which was surprising since there are many good actors in the movie, but I really didn't like this movie.
November 17, 2010
I hated high school. Sure I loved the parties but as far as the education process went I loathed it. I may have had 2 or 3 good teachers but the entire experience was a bunch of bull shit. Im sure by end the faculty that I dealt w/ had enough of me. High school wasn't as bad & people weren't so disenchanted as they are in Teachers though. A good cast in Nick Nolte, Judd Hirch, Richard Mulligan, Ralph Macchio & Crispin Glover but they're better then the material. It's a strange mix of comedy & drama that sometimes comes off neither funny or sympathetic. It starts off well enough but loses its footing along the way & a bit of my interest. It's better done in Fast Times @ Ridgemont High. Not bad but the soundtrax is better especially the 38 Special & Ian Hunter
½ November 16, 2010
A typical and forgettable school film.
½ November 12, 2010
September 20, 2010
Teachers is a so-close kind of movie, and while I ultimately think the good outweighs the bad, this could have been really great.

Instead, Hiller isn't sure what to do with the material. At times this is a full on slapstick comedy (Richard Mulligan's mentally unstable history teacher dressed up as various historical figures), and at other times it's a flatout tragedy (school shootings). Hiller shoots everything through a safe lens, which makes the lesser parts of the script stand out and feel cliched.

But there are good scenes, and good discussions about the nature of education. The material is involving, and Nolte's performance is strong, if a little muted.
August 29, 2010
- "Is that student bleeding?"
- "Yes, we're taking care of it."

Tag-line: "They fall asleep in class. Throw ink on each other. Never come in Mondays. And they're just the teachers."

Worth checking out.
½ June 29, 2010
some biting social commentary about the state of the education system back in the early 80s. the subtext behind it all is baby-boomer fears of their children after their children embrace their irreverence for their elders. the best example of it is when lara dern's character says to nolte's character "i think we know what's better for us than the teachers, you know?" - this attitude is a direct result of their parents' generation. the so-called revolutions of the 60s are what lead to the undermining of parental and teacher authority in america - and it's only gotten worse.

i looked the commentary in this film and i liked nolte's performance.
June 6, 2010
This is my kind of dark comedy. Surprising with all the stars in this movie it's one of those movies that flown off the radar in the 80s, forgotten in the 90s and one I am surprised I could find now on DVD. It's a dark comedy that does more about shedding light on the kind of shit that goes on in school that Fast Times hints at but makes more funny than makes sense of it. While at times it is predictable, it's the message makes up for all of it.
½ May 12, 2010
Arthur Hiller, in tackling the public school system, was trying to make a biting film satire ala Network, and The Hospital. He ends up with so so success.

Nolte plays burnt out teacher at inner city school who's convinced he can no longer make a difference. Nick's fellow teachers ( Judd Hirsch, Lee Grant ) are too embroiled in office politics and strategizing an impending strike, to even remotely care about educating our youth.

Nolte finds a renewed calling though two students who show potential. One, a surprise, is the main bully of the school, played by Daniel-San himself, Ralph Macchio, who only month's before in the Karate Kid, played a weakling dweeb getting his ass handed to him by the Kobra Kai.

In this movie, Macchio, is supposedly the epitome of youth rebellion, talking smack to his superiors, prompting terror in his fellow cowering classmates, pulling fire alarms, all the while dressed in a fedora and trench coat

Nolte's renewed idealism, gets tested as he votes not to go on strike, and his fellow faculty play hardball by blackmailing him with rumors of teacher / student illicit relations.

Does Nolte stand by his ideals, or tow the company line.? Hiller tries to hammer this theme home, and at the same time by featuring insane outrageousness, by having lame stuff happen, such as an escaped mental patient showing up, unvetted, as new substitute ; having faculty whine sessions, years before Office Space made it hip, and worst of all, having the lovely Jobeth Williams, embarrass herself by going topless in a school hallway, as a symbol of fighting the system. Not sure how running around nekid helps the kids learn. But it sure made a few of them pay attention for the first time.
April 30, 2010
overall Teachers is a good movie, that could have been great. The main problem is the director/screenwriter or both could never decide what kind of movie they wanted to make. drama or comedy, commercial or subversive, teen film or serious melodrama. the acting is evry good. Nick Nolte and judd Hirsch are excellent as always, as well as Morgan freeman as the school attorney.Don't discount Ralph Macchio or Crispin Glover. Both are in top form. A pleasurable movie that could have been much more
April 15, 2010
Not many people like this film but I do. Richard Mulligan is fun to watch.