Teaching Mrs. Tingle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teaching Mrs. Tingle Reviews

July 13, 2016
With a twisted performance from Helen Mirren, it's a nail-biting black-comedy thriller with a terrific ending.
July 4, 2015
Stay Away, Read The Book Killing Mr. Griffen....
September 21, 2014
Let's face it. Kevin Williamson is never again going to reach the master status he achieved with "Scream". However, I can't believe all the bad reviews centered around his directorial debut "Teaching Mrs. Tingle". It doesn't have the same wit or thrills that "Scream" had, and it tends to be a bit predictable. But all three of the teens are likeable, and Helen Mirren is deliciously devilish as Mrs. Tingle.
½ August 31, 2014
suffered all the way through this stupid movie just to watch the Jo character and helen Mirren only to have the last minute sliced off at the end. But then I thought, eh, WHO CARES?
June 18, 2014
It's a potentially witty and clever story of the teacher we all love to hate that isn't thought of too much, but is mildly entertaining and laughable black comedy if you don't take it seriously as it's intended.
March 28, 2014
While this is one of my guilty pleasures, primarily because Helen Mirren gives a wickedly over-the-top performance, I can admit that it's kind of terrible. I can't help but wonder what the end result would have been if Williamson got to make the movie he set out to make...because this can't possibly be it. Maybe there will be a Director's Cut someday.
November 24, 2013
Katie Holmes, Marisa Coughlan and Barry Watson try to implicate one of their hardball teachers so she can't tell on them for cheating on one of the tests. However, things do not work as planned and things spiral out of control quickly. My biggest problem with the film is as it goes on, everything becomes less and less believable and the actions of the main characters don't make much sense. Interesting to see a young pre-Tom-Cruise Kaite, but otherwise, this film is largely a dud.
September 26, 2013
Funny and really entertaining with good acting and direction.
August 21, 2013
Extremely unrealistic but still a fun script, characters, and a great performance from Helen Mirren as the villain.
July 21, 2013
A run-of-the-mill comedy kidnapping movie featuring high schoolers taking on their mean teacher. The acting is decent; the story is forgettable. Nothing stood out here. Worth a watch on a really slow night, if for nothing else but Katie Holmes' cuteness.
May 24, 2013
This movie did not age well; I remember liking this a lot more years ago. Of course we could say that I had horrible taste in movies when I was 16.
½ May 5, 2013
Teaching Mrs. Tingle (1999) -- [5.0] -- Screenwriter Kevin Williamson made his directorial debut with this surprisingly mediocre horror flick. Helen Mirren musters some wicked charm as the title character, but the trio of teen characters played by Katie Holmes, Marisa Coughlan, and Barry Watson are surprisingly flat, especially when you consider Williamson's prior work on "Scream" and "Dawson's Creek." Michael McKean, Jeffrey Tambor, Molly Ringwald, and Vivica A. Fox appear in small, thankless roles.
April 22, 2013
Sure, there are a few ridiculous scenes, and a few moments that probably wouldn't play out like that in real life, but Teaching Mrs. Tingle is almost always pretty entertaining.
April 1, 2013
Gave it a re-watch for the first time since the VHS days, and it's an entertaining enough watch, though the high points for me are definitely little Katie Holmes being cute and Helen Mirren being an icy bitch from the word go. Love her.

Worth a rental or cable viewing.
March 18, 2013
darkly funny and silly
½ March 16, 2013
Late 90's comedy thriller in the hey day of Scream and I know what you did last summer and this one just got lost in the shuffle. It's forgettable but it's enjoyable just to watch. There's not much of plot and it's kinda boring at times then funny.
½ March 16, 2013
This was another Williamson film in the SCREAM wake, mostly thought that it would be a horror film cause it was originally called KILLING MRS. TINGLE, but Columbine kind of changed that. But it's more a Dark Comedy.

Holmes doesn't have much range. She's almost always playing Joey Potter from Dawson's Creek. No difference here, only she gets a tad tramp as the film goes on. Watson is just a pretty boy role. Boring.

The real meat in this cast comes from Mirren as Tingle. She is such an evil bitch. The way she tries to play them all against each other is evil. Her scene where she destroys them all when they are doing their History projects, just a mean lady.
And Coughlan is so very good here. I have always felt Hollywood forgot about her. I've only seen her in a handful of movies and she's always so good. I thought she would be huge after this movie, but alas it never happened.

Fox is a mere cameo in one scene, and Ringwald is so funny in her few scenes.

But the end of the movie seems too easy, as they did kidnap a teacher. Seems like no one cared?
½ March 3, 2013
The title gives it away.
½ February 28, 2013
Teaching Mrs Tingle had the potential for deviant, dark, satire... but doesn't really make any effort to lunge forward. Not to say that it's a terrible movie.... it just feels like act three was lopped off. It lacks any form of gratifying conclusion or purpose. Shame really, cuz Mirren is kind of fun as Tingle .
½ February 27, 2013
Horrible execution!!I honestly do not feel as if this film would neither happen realistically or even remotely end the way it did.