Teaching Mrs. Tingle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Teaching Mrs. Tingle Reviews

February 17, 2013
Decent script. Kevin Williamson was a good writer.
January 8, 2013
I was drawn to the film Teaching Mrs. Tingle for one main reason. It was the directorial debut of famed 90s screenwriter Kevin Williamson who is known for writing the scripts for the first two Scream movies (as well as the fourth), I Know What You Did Last Summer, and the severely underrated sci-fi film The Faculty. In Teaching Mrs. Tingle, Williamson tells a tale of a girl named Leigh-Ann who tries her hardest to become the valedictorian of her graduating class in order to gain a scholarship and go to college. However, there's one thing standing in her way. Her History teacher Mrs. Tingle hates her guts. After Leigh-Ann gets in a misunderstanding with Mrs. Tingle about whether she was cheating or not, her and her two friends (Luke and Jo) try to convince her that it was a mistake. One thing leads to another and they're holding her captive until they can get her to relieve Leigh-Ann of the wild allogations. This plot may seem cool for anyone who's had a crummy teacher in their years in high school, but this film is executed pretty badly. For one thing, Williamson is best known for his meta-scripts that pay homage to the genre of the film that he's writing for (i.e. He references horror films and horror rules in Scream). Since this film is more of a dramedy, he can't really do anything of that nature. Sure, he throws in a few references to films like The Exorcist, but they just don't work. Also not working for the script is that it doesn't know what film it wants to be. At first it starts out like Dawson's Creek with teenage drama and angst, but later goes into a comedic territory. Plus, it sometimes hits a wanna-be thriller genre. If I had to say anything good about this film, it would be for Helen Mirren for her excellent portrayal of Mrs. Tingle. She's able to make the character an unbelievable bitch and she's fun to watch everytime she opens her mouth. Other than that, Teaching Mrs. Tingle is just a failed attempt by a great screenwriter. Hopefully, he'll stick to making meta-scripts next time since that's what he's really talented at.
½ January 7, 2013
Marisa Coughlan and Helen Mirren put on a show, but the rest is like acting class.
½ January 5, 2013
Thinnest premise ever?
½ December 19, 2012
Teaching Mrs. Tingle is funny, smart and full of unpredictable twists and turns.
December 7, 2012
Miss Banks: That was Mrs. Tingle. She's sick with the flu. She sounded really bad.
Principal Potter: She hasn't been sick since-In fact, I don't think she's ever been sick.
Miss Banks: Do you think it's serious?
Principal Potter: God I hope so.
[Both chuckle]

Leanne is in a dire situation when she needs to be valedictorian to get her scholarship to Harvard. The only class she is worse in is history, taught by Mrs. Tingle, and the teacher hates her. When an attempt to get ahead in Mrs. Tingle's class goes awry, mayhem ensues and friendships, loyalties and trust are tested by the teacher's intricate mind-games.

Helen Mirren: Mrs. Eve Tingle

Katie Holmes: Leigh Ann Watson

Jeffrey Tambor: Coach 'Spanky' Wenchell

Barry Watson: Luke Churner

Marisa Coughlan: Jo Lynn Jordan

Also by the guy who did the Scream trilogy. Which you can see traits lifted from.

"Teaching Mrs. Tingle" may not be one of the greatest movies to grace the big screen, but it is not the worst either.

The movie is a fantasy/revenge story, yet a real world scenario, at its core. We've all had a person like Mrs. Tingle (teacher or not) that seemed like that their sole purpose in life was to make our lives miserable as possible. This movie explores the option of what could happen if we took the opportunity to get back at that person.

Provides laughs and some scorching lines from Mirren. It's a dark comedy which you will enjoy if you want a fun movie.

While this movie is not without its flaws, (acting has shallow points at times, the pop-culture references that are becoming cliches of their own, etc) this film is quite warm and comical...that is if you are not looking for the best picture of the year or something deep and turbulent.
December 2, 2012
all i have to say is chick flick
November 21, 2012
Teenage flick with adult content and yet they play it safe.
½ November 16, 2012
There's nothing funny in it but fun to watch and some kind of a mystery must be solved.
November 15, 2012
On my list of the top ten worst movies of '99.
½ November 6, 2012
Nice movie, Barry Watson is soooooooooo hot :)
½ October 26, 2012
Yes, this may have had a bunch of 90s teen stars, but that doesn't mean it wasn't also a good teen movie. The characters are relate-able, although the situation isn't. This movie has a good balance between thrills and laughs, I liked it.
½ August 3, 2012
Enjoyable late 90's Dark comedy from the writer or the Scream franchise. Helen MIrren gives a great performance as the Teacher from Hell Mrs, Tingle and Katie Holems is a likable lead. Worth watching if you are a fan of these types of films.
½ July 26, 2012
starts out good then falls apart
July 25, 2012
I consider this more suspense
July 9, 2012
Completely unbelievable and silly. Just odd and with no redeeming value. Who talked Helen Mirren into this?
½ July 3, 2012
Mrs tingle , everyone has or has had a teacher like this.. I thought it was an alright movie.. I enjoyed it because it was different. Cast worked perfectly with this film.
½ June 19, 2012
ok wicked movie i liked it!!
½ June 19, 2012
The premise is great, but the length of the movie is missing comedy and suspense. Nothing more than a rainy day movie.