Fah talai jone (Tears of the Black Tiger) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fah talai jone (Tears of the Black Tiger) Reviews

July 18, 2013
Dam Bai and Mahesuan are real persons in history of Thailand. They have become known for "robbing from the rich and giving to the poor" .Dam is highly skilled shooting. Now dam is a monk in bangkok.
½ February 25, 2013
The thin line between stylish and cheesy...
½ December 5, 2012
Cliche & over-the-top but mostly in right ways
Cinema-Maniac
November 24, 2012
I've only seen Thailand martial movies and only one out the dozens I have seen was any good. So I chose to explore Thai cinema outside of the Martial Art genre, which failed to change my outlook on Thai cinema. Tears of the Black Tiger is certainly one of the better Thai films I've seen, but its many references to classic westerns keep reminding of other superior films I could be watching.

Tear of the Black Tiger is a parody as well as a homage to the Western and the romantic tearjerker. The plot here is so-so, its simply there and goes by without much to give us. The movie dialogue is more corny than a Spanish soap opera. It uses many of the cliches of the western genre which it pokes fun of, but becomes cliche itself for using to much of them. Contains over the top violence; like a man flipping in the air after being shot with a pistol in the mouth. Surprisingly the violence here uses tons of blood whenever someone is killed. The acting is good though ultimately underwhelming due to the lack of screen time some of the actors get. This is a classic case of style over substance. Most of the efforts went into the unique and sometime odd color scheme of the visuals. Some of the shootouts even if over the top were fun to watch. As a fan of the western genre I enjoyed the film offering, but it gets caught up in reminding us of past influential films and failing to give the audiences something new in the process.

Tears of the Black Tiger takes inspiration from superior films and fails to capture the same essence as its influences. It's good if you want to past the time, just do not go into this expecting anything as from the genre usual standards.
½ July 30, 2012
Between a 6/10 and 7/10, a parody of and winking homage to the history of Thai melodrama, Wisit Sasanatieng's uproarious filmmaking debut exuberantly combines pop and kitsch with a wholesome belief in the thrills of bad art.
July 29, 2012
If it had more humour it would be a full-blown parody. Apart from the deliberately colourful set designs, cinematography and method of acting, this is a pretty conventional storyline. It's all lost on me as I don't have any nostalgia for that sort of genre.
June 26, 2012
A jaw dropping experience. A gorgeous color scheme, old fashioned melodrama and gory violence combine to form a fabulous oriental western.
March 27, 2012
great movie style and sustance
½ January 16, 2012
Doom is an appropriate name for the Gump-like main character. Westerns are great when they have machine-guns, this one has rockets and a midget too! The 50's aesthetics are beautiful, but it is too long and melodramatic.
September 11, 2011
This is the second film I've seen from this Thai director and it's really something. An outlaw and governor's daughter meet as kids and grew to love each other but fate keeps them apart. This mixes an ultra-violent Sam Peckinpah-esque Western with a romantic soap operatic plot and for me, it didn't always quite gel but when it did, it was quite brilliant. The film is filled with bright colors (even the blood) in its cinematography and design.
½ August 6, 2011
For the colours alone, any fan of film owes this flick a viewing. Surreal backdrops inter-spliced with over-the-top action sequences, blanketed amid a tragic love story. Frantic dialogue in spots made reading the subs arduous, however, eventually I just turned them off and enjoyed the cinematography (the dubbed version, shock! Was horrible).
July 25, 2011
Western Thaïlandais haut en couleur, drôle, rôôôôôôômaaaaantique et surtout g (C)nial jusqu'au bout des sourcils.
July 18, 2011
Bought but not yet watched
April 9, 2011
Candy colored cowboys! Fun movie with gorgeous visuals and over the top violence.
March 21, 2011
TEARS OF THE BLACK TIGER is a spaghetti Western/romantic melodrama with a unique Thai approach. Featuring vibrant visual colors, spot-on actors, stylish old-school filmmaking techniques and storytelling, and strong gore in the amazing action sequences lets BLACK TIGER to be an entirely original and vibrantly colorful romantic, violent Western.

The colors in BLACK TIGER are pop-off-the-screen gorgeous and emphasize moments of dramatic intensity and soft intimacy. For example, a backdrop of two sun-like halos encircle the heads of the two characters in an early quick-draw showdown. The dialogue (read in subtitles) is well-rendered and fits right into the characters'personalities and the film's storyline.

The storyline, by the way, is a conjunction of many a Western and romantic melodrama. Only that the story is told in a fragmented fashion, beginning with the events toward the climax and then follows with the beginning of the entire story.

The beginning of the entire story focuses on the close friendship between Dom and Rumpoey. Early on, we see signs of Dom's fierce fighting from self-defense and sharp shooting eye. An encounter with bullies on two rowboats leads to trouble for Dom and Rumpoey, as they stay past their curfew and Rumpoey is badly injured. This incident leads to Rumpoey leaving the village. Over time, as in all classic love stories, the longing love for these two characters blossoms.

When Dom and Rumpoey are older, Dom has become an outlaw in an infamous gang headed by the leader, Fai, in order to avenge a close one's death. Rumpoey is supposed to marry the new Police Captain, whose goal is to take down the gang Black Tiger's a part of. That's the jist of the story. The rest is up to you to find out.

The actors who play young and older Dom and Rumpoey, the Police Captain, Dom/Black Tiger's pal, Fai, and the parents of the two protagonists are suitable for their roles and their requirements. The actor playing Dom/Black Tiger has the equivalent magnetism and strong acting approach of Clint Eastwood's early Sergio Leone efforts, and the actress playing Rumpoey shows the equivalent sense of sadness and longing as Vivien Leigh (Scarlett from GONE WITH THE WIND, no kidding) for her lover.

The amazing action sequences in BLACK TIGER happen every 20-25 minutes, as the script allows. When they do, these scenes explode with crafty precision and strong gore. These sequences involve a few showdowns and lots of shootouts (and a few blow-ups).

If you're in the mood for a new kind of film, then look no further than the romantic, violent Thai Western TEARS OF THE BLACK TIGER. In addition, BLACK TIGER is available on Amazon and Netflix. If there's one letdown that BLACK TIGER shows, then that would be its short length (84 minutes). Then again, good things come in small packages and this is definitely the case here.
March 10, 2011
A noble failure. Much visual inventiveness, but the story is terrible.
March 6, 2011
I can see what the director was going for here, and there are frequently beautiful images, but the wonky editing, god-awful music and bad pacing conspire to turn this into something less than fun.
August 9, 2010
Apart from the over saturated colours and the Thai-Western feel which quickly gets old, this one falters in the entertainment aspect.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ August 7, 2010
This is the kind of movie that restores my faith in cinema. A love letter to old Thai flicks and spaguetti westerns, "Tears" is the right mix of homage and style. This is not a "parody", and seems that western movie templates can't tolerate the existance of movies like this one without sticking the "parody" label. This movie was not spilled by some recycling-nostalgia-pop culture machine, made to sell false images of new "coolness" to kids. This a honest work of love and dedication, that happens to have fun with the material.
½ May 27, 2010
Unusual, but not. Dramatic, but not. Well-acted, but not. Genre-ised, but not.

Certainly not generic.