Fah talai jone (Tears of the Black Tiger) Reviews

• Jun 12, 2019

A very nicely stylised genre flick let down by an old fashioned and unreformed story.

• Feb 25, 2013

The thin line between stylish and cheesy...

The thin line between stylish and cheesy...

• Dec 05, 2012

Cliche & over-the-top but mostly in right ways

Cliche & over-the-top but mostly in right ways

• Caesar M Super Reviewer
    Nov 24, 2012

I've only seen Thailand martial movies and only one out the dozens I have seen was any good. So I chose to explore Thai cinema outside of the Martial Art genre, which failed to change my outlook on Thai cinema. Tears of the Black Tiger is certainly one of the better Thai films I've seen, but its many references to classic westerns keep reminding of other superior films I could be watching. Tear of the Black Tiger is a parody as well as a homage to the Western and the romantic tearjerker. The plot here is so-so, its simply there and goes by without much to give us. The movie dialogue is more corny than a Spanish soap opera. It uses many of the cliches of the western genre which it pokes fun of, but becomes cliche itself for using to much of them. Contains over the top violence; like a man flipping in the air after being shot with a pistol in the mouth. Surprisingly the violence here uses tons of blood whenever someone is killed. The acting is good though ultimately underwhelming due to the lack of screen time some of the actors get. This is a classic case of style over substance. Most of the efforts went into the unique and sometime odd color scheme of the visuals. Some of the shootouts even if over the top were fun to watch. As a fan of the western genre I enjoyed the film offering, but it gets caught up in reminding us of past influential films and failing to give the audiences something new in the process. Tears of the Black Tiger takes inspiration from superior films and fails to capture the same essence as its influences. It's good if you want to past the time, just do not go into this expecting anything as from the genre usual standards.

• Jul 29, 2012

If it had more humour it would be a full-blown parody. Apart from the deliberately colourful set designs, cinematography and method of acting, this is a pretty conventional storyline. It's all lost on me as I don't have any nostalgia for that sort of genre.

• Jun 26, 2012

A jaw dropping experience. A gorgeous color scheme, old fashioned melodrama and gory violence combine to form a fabulous oriental western.

• Jan 16, 2012

Doom is an appropriate name for the Gump-like main character. Westerns are great when they have machine-guns, this one has rockets and a midget too! The 50's aesthetics are beautiful, but it is too long and melodramatic.

• Sep 11, 2011

This is the second film I've seen from this Thai director and it's really something. An outlaw and governor's daughter meet as kids and grew to love each other but fate keeps them apart. This mixes an ultra-violent Sam Peckinpah-esque Western with a romantic soap operatic plot and for me, it didn't always quite gel but when it did, it was quite brilliant. The film is filled with bright colors (even the blood) in its cinematography and design.

• Aug 06, 2011

For the colours alone, any fan of film owes this flick a viewing. Surreal backdrops inter-spliced with over-the-top action sequences, blanketed amid a tragic love story. Frantic dialogue in spots made reading the subs arduous, however, eventually I just turned them off and enjoyed the cinematography (the dubbed version, shock! Was horrible).

• Jul 25, 2011

Western Thaïlandais haut en couleur, drôle, rôôôôôôômaaaaantique et surtout gà (C)nial jusqu'au bout des sourcils.