Box Office Guru Wrapup: Audiences Have Wild Time with Ted and Mike

A pair of new R-rated films dominated the North American box office sending ticket sales soaring to a new record for the biggest June weekend in history. The comedy Ted and the drama Magic Mike both overperformed and connected with their target audiences while Tyler Perry's latest effort Madea's Witness Protection delivered his usual potent numbers. Overall, it was the third best weekend of 2012 as success came from a handful of original movies and not from one big franchise juggernaut opening. The marketplace is now in great shape entering what will be a gigantic July.

Family Guy fans came out in droves for creator Seth MacFarlane's directorial debut Ted which debuted at number one with an estimated $54.1M from 3,239 theaters for a sizzling $16,705 average. The raunchy buddy comedy about a man and his talking teddy bear scored the third largest opening ever for an R-rated comedy behind two major brand-based hits - The Hangover 2 ($85.9M) and Sex and the City ($56.8M). An original story not based on a well-known brand doing this level of business is incredible and reinforces the starpower of MacFarlane. Actors Mark Wahlberg and Mila Kunis also added star wattage and positive reviews helped too.

The Universal release cost $50M to produce and skewed towards men as expected. Studio research showed that males made up 56% of the crowd while 52% were 30 and older. The CinemaScore grade was a good A-. While distributors only retain a portion of the gross, and marketing costs are additional expenses, it is always good news to a studio when its opening weekend gross is higher than its film's budget. Friday saw a spectacular $20.7M bow, Saturday dipped 14% to $17.9M, and Universal is optimistically projecting a 13% slide on Sunday to $15.5M. Most other studios are estimating 20-30% declines for their films on Sunday. But with the Independence Day holiday falling on Wednesday and many young adults having extra leisure time this week, Ted should find its way to a solid showing in its first full week even though Tuesday sees the debut of the summer tentpole The Amazing Spider-Man which will start damaging competitors on Monday night when it begins its first midnight shows.

Channing Tatum scored his third hit of the year with the much-talked about male stripper movie Magic Mike which opened in second place with an estimated $39.2M from 2,930 locations for a sturdy $13,363 average. Women dominated the audience and business was incredibly front-loaded thanks to girls-night-out crowds that planned opening day outings. Friday premiered to a dazzling $19.4M which eventually accounted for half of all the weekend sales. Saturday tumbled by an alarming 41% to $11.4M while Warner Bros. expects Sunday to dip down 26% to $8.4M.

But the promise of beefcake with the likes of the red hot Tatum and co-star Matthew McConaughey was enough to spark excitement and good reviews didn't hurt either for the Steven Soderbergh-directed drama loosely based on producer/star Tatum's real-life stint as an exotic dancer. Studio data showed that 73% of the crowd was female and 57% was under 35. The CinemaScore grade was just a mediocre B. 2008's Sex and the City also saw a massive opening day rush from its audience of adult women. Its Saturday decline was 34% and its female share was 85%. If Magic Mike can hold up and keep attracting customers, it will become Tatum's third $100M+ grosser in six months. He's already seen his February romance hit The Vow reach $125M and his March buddy cop comedy 21 Jump Street make $138.3M.

Ted and Magic Mike offered a one-two punch of raunchy fun which paying audiences found irresistible as the overall box office broke the record for the biggest June weekend in history beating the last frame of June 2009 which saw the massive launch of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Even more impressive was that the top three films this weekend were not sequels and the top five had no action tentpoles. The R-rated newbies proved that young adults will still come out and pay for original stories that truly excite them.

Those looking for clean family-friendly entertainment found it in the Disney/Pixar hit Brave which dropped from first to third place with an estimated $34M. The 49% decline was sizable given how the film is not a sequel and that the new releases provided virtually zero competition. It also pleased crowds on opening weekend earning an encouraging A grade from CinemaScore. Brave has grossed $131.7M in its first ten days and has performed much like Pixar's 2008 offering WALL?E which debuted in late June to $63.1M, fell 49% in its sophomore session to $32.5M for a ten-day start of $127.2M. Brave had the advantage of some 3D surcharges while the robot pic had the Independence Day holiday help it. With a big holiday week coming up, Brave may find its way to the neighborhood of $235M by the end of its domestic release.

Tyler Perry scored yet another hit film with the Lionsgate comedy Madea's Witness Protection which debuted in fourth with an estimated $26.4M from 2,161 theaters for a potent $12,193 average. The filmmaker's fourth movie with Madea in the title played to his loyal fan base which continued to come out. This was Perry's first summer release as most of his offerings went out in the spring or fall. Witness Protection's debut was in line with the $25.1M bow of the last Madea pic Big Happy Family.

Holding up well again in its fourth round was Paramount's animated sequel Madagascar 3 which collected an estimated $11.8M, off just 40%. The DreamWorks Animation hit has now taken in $180M domestically matching the gross of its 2008 predecessor. Europe's Most Wanted will surpass the $193.2M of 2005's original Madagascar next weekend and find itself going past $200M too. International markets saw an estimated $16.2M pushing the overseas haul to $244.2M for a global take of $424M.

In its second weekend, the action-horror-history mashup pic Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter suffered a steep 63% tumble to an estimated $6M for $29M in ten days for Fox. Four films rounded out the top ten falling into the $4-5M range. Fox's sci-fi epic Prometheus took in an estimated $4.9M, down 50%, raising its total to $118.3M. The global haul now stands at $284.8M. Wes Anderson's indie hit Moonrise Kingdom jumped into the top ten for the first time thanks to an expansion from 395 to 854 theaters with an estimated $4.9M as well. The Focus release averaged $5,706 and has banked an impressive $18.4M to date with much more to come as its cume should double in the coming weeks.

Universal's effects-heavy fairy tale adventure Snow White and the Huntsman dropped 46% to an estimated $4.4M with $145.6M domestic to date. Disney's uplifting drama People Like Us was dead on arrival in its debut just barely making the top ten with an estimated $4.3M from 2,055 locations for a pitiful $2,095 average. With mixed reviews, the PG-13 pic starring Chris Pine and Elizabeth Banks failed to excite any demographic and should fade away quickly.

Two big July tentpoles kicked off their global releases this weekend overseas ahead of their U.S. openings. Fox's animated comedy Ice Age: Continental Drift - the fourth installment in the franchise and second in 3D - debuted to an estimated $78M from 34 markets ranking number one in all of them. In some Latin American markets like Argentina and Columbia it broke the all-time opening weekend box office record. Drift is the latest chapter in a lucrative franchise that has now broken the $2 billion mark this weekend in global box office. Though results in North America have been mostly flat over the years, overseas growth has been mammoth with international grosses soaring from $207M to $461M to a stunning $691M for the last film Dawn of the Dinosaurs which accounted for 78% of its global tally. All signs indicate that interest for the Ice Age franchise - overseas at least - remains quite high. It opens domestically on July 13.

Over in Asia and parts of Europe this weekend, Sony's reboot The Amazing Spider-Man set off fireworks of its own with a $50.2M debut from 13 territories led by Korea's $13.4M and Japan's $11.4M. The results were phenomenal with the 3D webslinger crushing the opening for Avengers in both Korea and India by more than 70%. The Andrew Garfield starrer hits U.S. screens this Tuesday one day before the 4th of July holiday. Sam Raimi's trio of Spider-Man films - all in 2D - grossed a combined $2.5 billion worldwide from 2002 to 2007.

After eight long weeks in the domestic top ten, the super hero sensation The Avengers finally dropped from the list finishing in eleventh place with $4.2M and a total of $606.3M from North America and $1.45 billion worldwide. Following in the footsteps of other recent franchises, Sony's newest alien installment Men in Black 3 will end up as the lowest-grossing pic in the series domestically, but will be the top title globally thanks to growth in international markets for action and 3D films. Will Smith's comeback vehicle stands at $169.6M from North America and will conclude with $175-180M including 3D surcharges and today's higher ticket prices. The first two MIB flicks did $250.1M in 1997 and $190.4M in 2002. But the overseas tally on MIB3 rose to $429.8M putting the global take at $599.4M with the $600M barrier ready to fall on Monday. The first Agent J pic sold more tickets but its worldwide gross from fifteen years ago was $589M.

Summer moviegoers continued to flock to new independent films as Fox Searchlight's Sundance award-winner Beasts of the Southern Wild debuted to terrific results in its platform bow in New York and Los Angeles with an estimated $169,000 from four locations for a powerful $42,309 average per theater. Cume since the Wednesday launch was $220,000. It was especially impressive given that it had no stars and was from a first-time director. The critically acclaimed drama adds more markets this week on Wednesday and Friday and then goes much wider on July 13.

Woody Allen's latest European postcard To Rome with Love fared well in its second weekend expansion grossing an estimated $750,000 from 29 playdates (up from five last week) for a $25,862 average. The Sony Classics title has banked $1.3M to date and is scheduled to widen across the country this Friday. With Moonrise Kingdom heading to $35M+ and The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel already above $40M, independent films this summer have carved out solid sales from upscale moviegoers interested in movies with more substance in a sea of mindless popcorn flicks.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $189.9M which was up 2% from last year when Transformers: Dark of the Moon opened at number one with $97.9M; and up 6% from 2010 when The Twilight Saga: Eclipse debuted on top with $64.8M. Both of those frames were helped by the 4th of July holiday.

Folllow Gitesh on Twitter!

Comments

Movie Monster

Bentley Lyles

All the competition is going to get caught in Spider-Man's web this upcoming weekend. It should have a big debut since it opens up on Tuesday. I don't think Katy Perry and Savages will draw big crowds. Audiences of all ages will all be flocking to see Spidey. Who doesn't love the character? I can't wait to see on Fourth of July with my family!

Jul 1 - 07:12 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

I agree with your assessment about Savages, especially with those saying it is similar to Natural Born Killers. If it is in the top three I will be surprised.

I am really hoping Stone bounces back from the god-awful Wall Street 2

Jul 1 - 07:37 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I'm going to see "Savages", probably at a matinee or something. I'm still a Stone fan even with his recent missteps (Alexander, World Trade Center, Money Never Sleeps - but each of these films still have some amazing editing). I'm hoping this film is more insane-fun like his "U-Turn". The studio were idiots to open the film against Spiderman, and the ads have all been monotonous and incoherent. I don't think I've yet seen either Uma Thurman or Emile Hirsch in the trailers, and I'd imagine them both to bring in some draw. At worst, it should have some Blake Lively nudity and hopefully Salma Hayak will at one point yell, "Does anyone know the number to the phone in my car!"

Jul 1 - 11:12 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

U turn was pretty bad too. But I will always be a Stone supporter. JFK is still one of my favorite movies. Even after its historical flaws it still draws you in. I, too, think Savages will fail gut Stone will still get work. Greatness is still within him. I just said "still" a lot....

Jul 1 - 11:48 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I liked the performances of Nick Nolte and Billy Bob Thornton. I also like the editing in that film. It seems a little dated because so many people (especially Tony Scott) have imitated that editing style, and with none of the wit that Stone shows for irratic, shady behavior. And, btw, "Natural Born Killers" is one of my very favorite films of the 90s. So similarity with that film will hardly deter me either. I hope both Aaron Johnson and Taylor Kitsch die (preferably horribly), and Hayek and Lively will run off on a high-speed lesbian romance to Costa Rica. More over the top, the better.

Jul 2 - 12:00 AM

JS

j s

@ Jansen..good Desperado reference

Jul 2 - 11:04 AM

This comment has been removed.

Sean D.

Sean D

I see what you did there. Don't be such a boob.

Jul 2 - 10:47 AM

Dan Paz

Dan Paz

I agree. Even if Katy Perry was opening a different weekend it wouldn't be a super big hit anyway. Just look at Justin Beiber. That movie didn't do bad it just wasn't eating up money. Spider-man is 100% #1. Katy Perry might be a big star, by Spider-man is bigger and been around longer.

Jul 2 - 01:16 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Is anybody else kinda hoping Spider-Man under preformes, just to make Sony more motivated to make a deal with Marvel? I don't want it to be a complete flop or anything like that, but I think it falling below expectations is the only way we'll end up seeing the Web-Slinger in the MCU. Still, I'm sure it will be good and be a big hit.

Jul 1 - 07:27 PM

King Crunk

Spiderman will not flop; he is too big of an icon worldwide. The Amazing Spiderman did 70% better than The Avengers in multiple major markets this weekend; even if it did bomb or underperform here in America, it would still make so much money overseas that Sony would not give a crap. I would not be surprised if it ends up being the smallest grosser of the three big superhero flicks domestically, but I would say it has a hell of a shot at taking the number two spot internationally.

Jul 1 - 08:21 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

It's basically confirmed at this point that Spidey will be in the next Avengers from several sources

Jul 1 - 08:24 PM

King Crunk

Where are these sources? I find it hard to believe Sony would be willing to let Marvel have their flagship character back, at least not without one of the most expensive buyouts in human history, but if this is true then it is awesome.

Jul 1 - 08:29 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

You can rent stuff these days.

Jul 2 - 11:19 AM

Cooper Jones

Cooper Jones

But marvel is owned by Disney, who has enough money to buy the entire company of sony. Twice

Jul 2 - 06:46 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Uhh I dunno about that one bro, Sony is bigger than you think.

Jul 3 - 12:43 AM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

I'm assuming you are talking about the stuff like the plan to put the OSCORP building in the Avengers and the pictures of Garfield with Avengers/Thanos comics. While these do give me hope, I still feel like Sony is just trying get even more Hype for Amazing Spider-man, and they aren't seriously considering it.

Jul 1 - 09:16 PM

Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen

The comics he had in his hand were a gift from a movie industry friend. They were just a gift, he wasn't doing research. Just saying.

Jul 3 - 05:50 AM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

hey how about the dark knight rises?

Jul 2 - 09:41 AM

MisterVile

Mister Vile

Not if the movie is good, i can care less about studios and where the money goes if the film is worth the price. Don't get too caught up with economics and studio politics, it just makes you crazy.

Jul 2 - 05:08 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

I get the feeling I've seen the movie before and thus my interest is low.

Jul 2 - 11:18 AM

I fight for the users

Ian Fastert

Me. I wish Ted would stay on top next week, because it was HILARIOUS!!!!!

Jul 7 - 04:35 AM

JS

j s

@ Jansen..good Desperado reference

Jul 2 - 11:04 AM

Jaxx Raxor

Adam Jones

Ted and Magic Mike did way better than I expected. I thought both would fall below Brave, but that film did a little worse in the second weekend then I thought. I new Ted would finish above Magic Mike because McFarlene is a bigger name to men than Tatum is to women, plus Ted seemed to have a bigger marketing push.

I'm not sure if Amazing Spider-Man will get above $100 million for the Friday to Sunday Gross. It will easily reach it if you count Tuesday, Wendsday, and Thursday.

Jul 1 - 08:10 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

Yeah i agree with you on TASM, if it would have been released on friday than it would have topped 100 million over the weekend. However that being said, i believe TASM will have a strong 6 day opening, i'll say around 75-85 mil over the weekend and 145-165 mil over it's first 6 days.

Jul 1 - 10:48 PM

Jul 1 - 08:21 PM

Kurtiss Keefner

Kurtiss Keefner

Jul 1 - 08:24 PM

Jul 1 - 08:29 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

You can rent stuff these days.

Jul 2 - 11:19 AM

Cooper Jones

Cooper Jones

Jul 2 - 06:46 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Uhh I dunno about that one bro, Sony is bigger than you think.

Jul 3 - 12:43 AM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Jul 1 - 09:16 PM

Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen

Jul 3 - 05:50 AM

Jason H.

Jason Huang

hey how about the dark knight rises?

Jul 2 - 09:41 AM

King Crunk

Did not expect Ted to debut that strong, but I guess Family Guy fans were really excited for it.

Magic Mike will probably burn out quicker than the average movie, judging by how front loaded it was. All the women got worked up over a male stripper movie starring Tatum and McConaughey, and their marketing went straight for that audience, which helped them to a bigger weekend, but probably hurt them in the long run as it is just looked at as the "Channing Tatum stripper movie" by most people.

People Like Us looks incredibly, amazingly uninteresting. Chris Pine got a lot of attention and buzz after Star Trek, and what has he used it for? Starring in This Means War and People Like Us.

Jul 1 - 08:27 PM

Jul 1 - 08:29 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

You can rent stuff these days.

Jul 2 - 11:19 AM

Cooper Jones

Cooper Jones

Jul 2 - 06:46 PM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

Uhh I dunno about that one bro, Sony is bigger than you think.

Jul 3 - 12:43 AM

This comment has been removed.

Sean D.

Sean D

I see what you did there. Don't be such a boob.

Jul 2 - 10:47 AM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Jul 1 - 09:16 PM

Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen

Jul 3 - 05:50 AM

King  S.

King Simba

I still find it kind of funny. When G.I Joe 2 was greenlight they decided to kill off Channing Tatum's character because at the time he wasn't seen as a box office draw. Now they've pushed it back almost a year just so they could add more scenes with Tatum in it.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting ranked as the top box office draw of the year. His films have been creaming those from the likes of Depp, Cruise and Sandler (and on much lower budgets I might add. Magic Mike cost 7 mil, compare that to the 150 mil of Dark Shadows or the 75 mil of Rock of Ages).

Not surprised that Amazing Spiderman and Ice Age 4 are setting records internationally. Even if they dissapoint domestically, they were always going to be huge WW, where brand names sell (just look at last year when On Stranger Tides made 800 mil internationally, despite dissapointing domestically).

Jul 1 - 09:25 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

I actually think Tatum might be a genius. On the one hand you have actors like Ryan Gosling who makes great movies, but a large part of his fan base doesn't show up for them. On the other hand, you have guys like Sandler who makes terrible movies, but his fans almost aways go to them. However, recently Tatum seems to have found a way to make mostly good movies that are still appealing to his audience.

Jul 1 - 09:55 PM

Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

Yes, big brand names do indeed sell well overseas and Spidey is the single biggest drawing superhero overseas, that's been proven time and time again. Despite all the bashing "Spider-Man 3" took, it did take in almost 90 mil more overseas than TDK did. It would not suprise me in the least if TASM ends up being the second biggest grossing film overseas behind "The Avengers"this year.

Jul 1 - 10:54 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Jul 1 - 09:55 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

I stand corrected. I was surprised at the performance of not only Ted, but Magic Mike as well. Oh well, There's no question about Spidy winning the BO next weekend despite the Tuesday release.

Jul 1 - 10:11 PM

Jul 2 - 11:04 AM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Jul 1 - 11:48 PM

Movies for Tax Day
Movies for Tax Day

Your tax dollars at work, in movies.

Picture gallery of movie bears

Summer Movies