Five Favorite Films with Ted

Summary

He's the star (well, co-star if you count Mark Wahlberg) of 2012's highest-grossing comedy (unless you count Breaking Dawn -- Part 2), so we felt it only fitting to ask Ted, the titular furball from Seth MacFarlane's R-rated hit, to give us his all-time five favorite films. "Besides Flash Gordon," he says, "which you already know is my number one favorite film of all time." Indeed, anyone who's seen the movie will remember Ted and John's shared affection for the camp sci-fi classic, and the bear also gave us another insight into his creative process: "Yes, the hotel room fight scene was inspired in part by Road House," he reveals. So now you know that. Ted arrives on Blu-ray and DVD this week. Back to Article

Comments

Edward Rodriguez

Edward Rodriguez

BEST LIST.............EVER....................FOREVER.

Dec 10 - 10:12 AM

Christopher Kulik

Haters are gonna hate, right? Well, screw that stuffed bear: to me, McFarlane is nothing more than a fraud who made his fortune by only referencing other people's past work. That's all FAMILY GUY is: a string of moronic re-enactments/pop culture references of past scenes from other movies and shows with a retarded talking baby thrown in. McFarlane doesn't really add anything to these references, making them utterly pointless. The guy has done nothing original, and I didn't need a beer-drinking, pot-smoking Teddy Ruxpin to tell me how to admire a cult classic like FLASH GORDON.

Oh, and fuck DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR! Worst piece of unfunny dreck ever spewed out by man next to WAITING, which was a bit more offensive. Aside from UP IN SMOKE, here are the real 420 classics: BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, HAROLD AND MAUDE, WOODSTOCK, SUPER TROOPERS, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. UP IN SMOKE and FLASH GORDON are awesome, though not enough to waste any money on TED (saw it for free). Oh and by the way: DIRTY DANCING is the ultimate Swayze flick no matter what your feelings are on ROAD HOUSE.

Dec 10 - 11:57 AM

BillCarson

Bill Carson

Dude, it's just a bear.

Dec 10 - 12:01 PM

Chris Brock

Chris Brock

I think you missed the joke of the piece. It was written from the POV of a fictional character from a movie. The list is not meant to be examples of cinematic greatness, but dumb flicks the two main characters would have watched together. No one would put Tango and Cash and Dude, Where's my Car? on their top five unless they were making fun of them. I wouldn't even call this a real list, more like creative fiction.

Dec 10 - 12:07 PM

Christopher Kulik

No, no, no: I got the joke, and I was simply throwing out my own opinion on McFarlane and his work since this piece is meant to advertise the DVD & Blu-ray tomorrow. As much as I love UP IN SMOKE and FLASH GORDON, I'm smart enough to know they are not examples of cinematic greatness, far from it.

Dec 10 - 12:54 PM

Dave J

"Family Guy" the show that solidified McFarlane's name on the map pushes the boundaries of supreme grossness in terms of sarcasm which celebrities may deem to be offensive! To some it's more offensive than South Park but popular among the teenage demographic, particularly college and university dorms since when the show was cancelled at one time, the high percentage of customers who bought "Family Guy" DVD box sets were teenagers!

Dec 10 - 01:24 PM

Christopher Kulik

I'm well aware of that, but the difference between SOUTH PARK and FAMILY GUY, while both being supremely gross as you say, is that the former actually has original material. Comedy is all subjective, and I prefer the original, contemporary satire over someone who depends on previous artists and material. To me, McFarlane is only a slight step above Adam Sandler, two unoriginal, annoying guys who teenagers--many high from the beer or the bong, let's keep it real-- actually find this stuff funny. I've indulged, and I don't find FAMILY GUY or TED funny. Hence another huge reason why I think Mike Judge is a prophet.

Dec 10 - 01:35 PM

Janson Jinnistan

South Park's satire is sharp, because it targets people and things that deserve scrutiny. Family Guy, proudly, skewers anything regardless of context, which makes it dull, pointless, mean, and, well, not really actually satire by definition.

Dec 10 - 02:19 PM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

I have always considered Family Guy to be kind of a modern day Vaudeville act. As opposed to South Park or The Simpsons which feel the need to have a "message" in every episode, adhering to a traditional story arch complete with resolution and lesson learned. Family Guy is a scattershot collection of wildly disparate comic stylings with musical numbers ect. It's more farce than satire. Sophomoric to be sure, but that's always been the structure... Seems odd to call FG unoriginal but praise Judge who is best known for two kids ripping unimaginatively on videos. Beavis and Butthead wasn't original when it aired the first time, it was simply crass and enjoyed by teens and college kids. Much like Family Guy.

Dec 10 - 02:28 PM

Christopher Kulik

Excellent and interesting points of FAMILY GUY being like a modern-day Vaudeville act, to be honest never looked at it from that perspective. What's really funny is that I actually like the opening music number to FAMILY GUY on its own terms.

Now, as for Beavis&Butthead, when I first watched it I didn't find it terribly funny, but it has grown on me since the 1990s. Part of the reason for that is that Judge, unlike McFarlane, has matured as an artist, writing every single thing he's ever done from his own head. BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD may have not seemed original at the time, but now I'm convinced Judge was ahead of his time, as he's always been. Even a teenage girl in one of my classes told me she got it in that B&B savagely skewers the ignorant, reckless and irresponsible generation that was bred and being raised at the time. Also, if you haven't seen IDIOCRACY, you should as Judge became a prophet because of the movie that Twentieth Century Fox didn't want you see...and they have been trying to suppress it ever since despite the fact Judge has made billions of dollars for the studio. Actually, I think McFarlane plays it safe by comparison, and trust me I've seen many episodes of FAMILY GUY over the years. I'm now done with it.

Dec 10 - 02:52 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Beavis and Butthead are the targets of that show's satire, not the heroes. It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't realize that. We're supposed to be laughing AT them. But, hey, I caught a Family Guy that was riffing off of Michael J Fox's Parkingsons. That's funny, right? South Park makes fun of hypocrisy, vanity, ignorance. Too much of all of McFarlane's shows amounts to the comic equivalent of kicking the crippled.

Dec 10 - 02:59 PM

Dave J

"Too much of all of McFarlane's shows amounts to the comic equivalent of kicking the crippled."

Incorrect, a great portion of "The Family Guys" offensive humor is solely on celebrities and films in general, I think the reason why you would say this is because the unfunny humor very much offends you and may have overshadow anything else! Although, I own some of The Family Guy seasons on DVD, I'll probably won't get a chance to watch them just because they're other things I rather watch even more!

Dec 10 - 04:44 PM

Arthur Vascherault

Arthur Vascherault

I don't see what the point is coming on this piece and complaining about how much you hate Seth. This is about the movie, not Seth. Go find a Seth top movie list and complain about him there, or... you know... walk off a cliff. Either of these options would make the world a little bit better.

Dec 11 - 09:10 AM

Christopher Kulik

@Janson "Too much of all McFarlane's shows amounts to the comic equivalent of kicking the crippled." Thank you, that's why I said he's only a slight step above Adam Sandler; they are like schoolyard bullies making fun of people with disabilities and diseases, a real mean-spirited sense of humor. Sandler hit a new low when he, along with all the offensive jokes on women and minorities, actually had the fucking balls to make fun of and laugh at statutory rape! And I'm one of those ones who thinks there is no limit or taboo, but I'm not sure who wins for King of the Douchebags: Adam Sandler or Daniel Tosh.

Dec 10 - 03:21 PM

Answer: Nobody wins.

Dec 10 - 03:31 PM

Zach Miller

Zach Miller

Um.....I am 99.73% sure that this list is completely based on character development in Ted, so the quality of these movies is irrelevant. Additionally, Seth MacFarlane is a comedy genius who is able to combine all of these different aspects of modern popular culture into a completely insulting, degrading, and hilarious montage of laughter and tears (of laughter). Anyone who doesn't enjoy this man's work isn't enjoying life itself.

Dec 10 - 06:47 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Good comedy shouldn't require ultimatums. That's that "bully" quality coming out - "Like it or else!"

Dec 10 - 07:00 PM

Daniel M.

Daniel Moctezuma

Hey Facebook User, I vote Daniel Tosh king of the douche bags over Sandler, barely edging it though, lol.

Dec 22 - 10:28 AM

Steven Lavender

Steven Lavender

I always saw Bevis & Butthead as more as a satire of child worship. I mean you have the same moronic adults trusting these obvious dolts with tasks or responsibilities that they always screw up. Bevis and Butthead are the set up, Tom Anderson is the punch line. King of the Hill is Judge's most completely formed work of satire (having 13 seasons on a major network doesn't hurt) as they've satirized almost as many subjects as South Park. It isn't as blunt or obvious, but the fact that it is a more realistic cartoon makes it cut twice as hard when it lands in my opinion.

Dec 11 - 10:58 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Calm your tits Mr. Butthurt.

Dec 10 - 09:38 PM

Christopher Kulik

Are you a McFarlane fan? Or just some random asshole?

Dec 10 - 09:48 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

I'm the guy who tells you to lighten up. The list is a joke. Do you know what a joke is? You don't have to be so serious. I know how this works. You insult me, I insult you, and before you know it this page is spammed with a silly argument nobody wants to read. And to answer your first question, I am neither a huge McFarlane fan nor do I dislike him. I think he has his funny moments. To answer your second question, I think I know who is the random asshole here. Haha.

Dec 10 - 10:51 PM

Janson Jinnistan

McFarlane is the random asshole. His fans are just little shits.

Dec 11 - 12:29 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

No use Gage. You can never sway them from what they think humor is because they know whats funny for you. Family Guy is crass, but it has some pretty funny episodes. The Star Wars episodes and Stewie and Brian episodes are damn funny to me and as for this feature, total non-sense internet fluff piece from a "STUFFED BEAR"!

Dec 11 - 01:20 AM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

This isn't about humor. It is just about not being an asshole. You can express your opinion without being an sshole. He didn't.

Dec 11 - 01:50 AM

Christopher Kulik

Whatever Gage, you just didn't like my opinion, and all you had to do was say I disagree and why you disagree instead of just smearing me. And let's just say that when someone accuses me of having tits like a woman and is "butthurt" as if I was just fuckin' raped or something, I get pretty defensive. Whatever, I'm ignoring you from now on.

Dec 11 - 09:52 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Speaking of "butthurt", I can't wait to see the look on the faces of his fanboys when McFarlane finally comes out of the closet.

Dec 11 - 12:30 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

Who cares if he is gay? Seriously.

Dec 11 - 01:04 PM

Janson Jinnistan

"Butthurt" is a homophobic term. It implies anal rape.

Dec 11 - 01:22 PM

Mike Quach

Mike Quach

hahaha calm your tits...he got you good. Kulik you should take it easy...i don't think he cares about your opinion ...in fact i don't think anybody does...i think he just wants to poke fun at u b/c u seem like an annoying combative angry person

Dec 12 - 08:25 AM

Still?

Dec 12 - 01:00 PM

Michael Leeman

Michael Leeman

Chris was just voted "angriest man alive." Nothing a viewing of Flash Gordon can't fix. Flash! Ah-ahhhh!

Dec 11 - 06:40 AM

Christopher Kulik

Man, I wasn't angry, what the hell is with you guys? He's for everyone of us...he's a miracle...king of the impossible...Right, I feel AWESOME NOW!

Dec 11 - 09:55 AM

Alberto Zeeky

Alberto Zeeky

I find it hilarious how many people claim McFarlane is a complete hack. The humour in his shows might not be "sophisticated" enough for some people, and that's just fine... the shows (especially Family Guy) can go pretty damn far with just how flinching vulgar and gross it can be sometimes. However, McFarlane actually has some great underrated stand up. I consistently point out when people try to claim the guy has no talent that go and watch his work with the Comedy Central Celebrity Roasts, he shows it that he's much more than a one trick pony.

I'm glad Seth is now taking on more motion pictures and I'll definitely see the western film that he has in the works right now, and I actually might watch the Oscars now with him hosting too... I've always traditionally hated having anyone who isn't a comedian or doesn't have some comedic talent (i.e. a Downey Jr.) although I will admit I thought Hugh Jackman did a pretty damn good job. I expect you'll see the Comedy Roast McFarlane at the Oscars with the obvious censorship, but I still expect him to make a lot of zingers at celebrities present.

But hey, you can't please everyone... especially when it comes to a comedian.

Dec 11 - 11:21 PM

Gage Kent

Gage Kent

^ so much truth

Dec 12 - 12:25 AM

Janson Jinnistan

When did Robert Downey Jr host the Academy Awards?

Dec 12 - 01:01 PM

Billy Skelly

Billy Skelly

damn, lighten up dude... family guy is funny... chill out

Dec 30 - 11:39 PM

Daniel Moctezuma

Dec 22 - 10:28 AM

Steven Lavender

Steven Lavender

Dec 11 - 10:58 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Is 'bro-dom' anything other than dyslexic boredom?

And the Princess's name is Ornella Muti. Show some respect if you expect to lash that back.

Dec 10 - 12:19 PM

Dec 10 - 04:44 PM

Arthur Vascherault

Arthur Vascherault

Dec 11 - 09:10 AM

Nikolas Zografos

Nikolas Zografos

Thanks for the joke list. That was really funny.

Dec 10 - 01:00 PM

Dec 10 - 01:24 PM

Dec 10 - 01:35 PM

Ethan Hawke's 10 Best Movies

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast