Telling Lies in America - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Telling Lies in America Reviews

½ November 11, 2015
A smooth Kevin Bacon here , a bit shaking but not like in classis " Footlose " , fine 60's music in it ...good one ! SOMDVD
November 27, 2012
I am a big fan of Brad renfro so I want to see all of his movies
June 15, 2012
A truly great movie.

Best script Joe Eszterhas ever wrote.
Best performance Kevin Bacon ever gave.
And Brad Renfro was absolutely brilliant..
½ July 18, 2011
Difficult to get into, character development is not great. Fairly cute storyline.
LWOODS04
½ February 27, 2011
Cast: Kevin Bacon, Brad Renfro, Maximilian Schell, Calista Flockhart, Paul Dooley, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Luke Wilson, Damon Fletcher, Jerry Swindall, K.K. Dodds

Director: Guy Ferland

Summary: Shy immigrant Karchy Jonas (Brad Renfro) is a social disaster at his 1960s American high school. But things pick up when he pursues a cute, supermarket coworker (Calista Flockhart) and hooks up with a slick deejay (Kevin Bacon, in a standout performance) who shows Karchy life's wild--and dangerous--side.

My Thoughts: "The performances by Kevin Bacon and Brad Renfro are great, it's the script that leaves something to be desired. There are also some very good actor's in here that are wasted by very limited roles. There was some great music in this as well. But just not as good as I thought it would be considering the talent."
½ February 18, 2011
A good story told to a fantastic 60's soundtrack with great performances from Kevin Bacon and Brad Renfro.
½ May 6, 2010
I don't really get why anyone would really like this movie much. It's just one of those movies that does't seem to have much going for it. I know we're watching the shady side of the music business back in the sixties, but didn't care for how it was going.
February 3, 2010
A pleasant surprise, having known nothing about this film, ahead of time.
½ July 18, 2009
I see some people can't stand this movie, think it's awful. I saw it years ago and just watched it again. I love Brad Renfro. And I like the movie. It's different. It's interesting. And I thought it was cute. That's just my opinion. :) Oh, and I liked the soundtrack!
December 18, 2008
really wana see this
½ November 14, 2008
With help from talented young director Ferland and a sublime performance from Kevin Bacon, Eszterhas has created a gentle and affecting ode to universal growing-up conflicts within a beautifully rendered evocation of a specific time and place.
July 24, 2008
Nothing great, but I still enjoyed it.
½ May 13, 2008
I don't have much to say about this movie, other than I love it. Brad Renfro and Kevin Bacon both do amazing acting jobs. It's easy to fall in love with Karchy Jonas. Great soundtrack, too.
½ May 12, 2008
Interesting from a radio perspective, but not a Top 100 film.
½ February 17, 2008
Good music, but not much else to recommend it.
½ February 13, 2008
I forgot about this movie until just now. God this was bad.
½ January 29, 2008
For me this story of a young immigrant boy (Renfro) in high school in 1960 who pins his dreams on a fast talking DJ (Bacon) seemed half-baked, despite the fact that it's supposedly the screenwriter's own "semi-autobiographical" story, and most scenes seemed needing more for me. HOWEVER the performances by Renfro and Bacon were nice ones, and enjoyable to watch.
January 28, 2008
A fair depiction of a young immigrant's infatuation with the American Dream. Kevin Bacon makes you hate him and Brad Renfro is very convincing (minus the accent) as the young man wrapped up in the dirty business of the music industry in the 1960s.
½ January 27, 2008
Kevin Bacon bugs me in about anything he does, but Brad Renfro more than makes up for that. Brownie points for the Cleveland representation. The music is pretty good, too.
June 7, 2007
Nostalgia makes this great.