The Temp - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Temp Reviews

August 4, 2016
Most acting of the movie is kind of gentle.
½ October 24, 2015
Hell of a lot of campy fun to be had with this one. Faye Dunaway steals the show.
April 8, 2015
A thriller that keeps your interest only in how much longer do i have to watch this crap.
½ February 19, 2015
"Working Girl" meets "Fatal Attraction." Written by someone who was a frequent collaborator with Aaron Sorkin and directed by Tom Holland, who made the classic original "Fright Night" and wrote the underappreciated "Psycho II," I'd have hoped this film would have been better, but it really doesn't deliver anything you haven't seen before or seen done better. Timothy Hutton is a advertising executive who gets a wonderful new temp secretary, Lara Flynn Boyle, who will stop at nothing to advance her career. When you have Glenn Close craziness mixed with Melanie Griffith ambition, you get a fairly ridiculous mix for a corporate thriller. The story and characters never feel very credible, but I do have to say I was interested to see how it was all going to end. Dwight Schultz, Oliver Platt, Steven Webber and Maura Tierney all appear in supporting roles, as does Faye Dunaway who gives this trashy thriller a bit of credibility. I don't know if this film is really worth watching, but at the same it has a decent cast and was interesting enough of a story that I stuck with it.
August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 5/27/2013)
½ July 24, 2014
One of a glut of psychotic women thrillers from this era of Hollywood. It's fairly decent in terms of pace and mystery, although generally fairly average.
½ July 12, 2014
Watched this on XFinity tonight. It's a paranoia thriller that runs its dry really fast.
½ April 14, 2014
Picked this up for $6. Hadn't seen it before, but looked like a bit of 90's tack I might enjoy.
Actually, it wasn't too bad. The glass in the cookies scene alone raised this movie half a star.
What I didn't like was the end. Seriously? The woman is crazy and has killed several people and he thinks she's going to take that?!
August 28, 2013
I may have seen this, but can't remember.
November 13, 2012
The bottom of the barrel for the "Woman seeking revenge" films.
½ September 24, 2012
Not well like by critics upon its release in 1993, The Temp was a movie that tried to be a little different. Personally, although nothing Oscar-worthy (especially in the writing department), I got what I needed out of this flick. People have got to start realizing when a movie's point is nothing but to have a fun time and The Temp gave me exactly that. There were a slew of things I enjoyed with this flick; the wacky and suspenseful scenarios, the overacting by some, the often funny one-liners and the satirical look at the corporate world. The flick is also fairly uneven with giving us two mysteries and not really giving us a satisfying answer with either. They play the 'is she nuts or not' card then they play the 'how paranoid is the protagonist' card. Frankly, even though I didn't get a full fledge explanation from either, I couldn't help but enjoy myself. Going back and forth on the plot the whole time was appealing to me on a thinking level even though the flick itself tried to play smarter than it was. Tom Holland has never disappointed me with his work. Even when the script was 'meh' he would up my enjoyment with his energetic work. Only he could make The Temp look a lot more classy than it is! He also knows his suspense well and kept the movie flowing evenly. Another terrific job! Timothy Hutton overacts in many scenes, but that was part of the charm. He looked cool enough for the role (that hair!) and when he was over-the-top, he cracked me up. What happened to the guy? Major star potential... Lara Flynn Boyle looked ridiculous at certain point in the movie but her charisma and focused performance more than made up for that. She's also gorgeous. Oliver Platt plays another dick but he's so good at being a dick and once again, he delivers. Steven Weber brought on the rough charm with his character. I liked him a lot here. Faye Dunaway also has her moments of over-acting. She did grate the nerves once or twice but again, it was part of the reason I enjoyed her. Make sense? ... On the downer, although I mentioned earlier that I enjoyed getting teased by this one, there were a ton of questions I had when the end credits started rolling. I can think of at least 10 off the top of my head and I won't bother mentioning them here. They were mainly to do with a lot of the subplots at hand and the logic of certain scenarios that I didn't get. Furthermore, the editing choices done in the final act of the flick were painful to watch. It's so obvious that the studio did so many re-cuts to satisfy their needs as things just kept dropping out of nowhere. Finally, the subplot involving the wife was completely useless to this movie and did nothing but drag the film down. It took itself way too seriously compared to the rest of the flick and I would start to get bored. Overall, I'll get shunned for this from several I'm sure, but I enjoyed The Temp. You know the real friends you have then the friends you keep around for your own personal amusement or for the sake of gaining some cheap laughs? The Temp is that friend in movie form. It's a 'fun because it's dumb' kinda flick. I walked away satisfied. Out!
½ April 13, 2012
Saw this on video years ago and can only recall it being pretty stock-standard, nothing else.
April 6, 2012
lara flynn-boyle, is the lead character in this movie about a temp who rises to the top of the company(well, almost),and faye dunaway is the president of the company where it's employees keep turning up dead.
December 11, 2011
With predictablity running through the veins of this film, its not a wonder that its low on rating but its not all bad! Entertaining enough but not worth a second viewing!
February 3, 2011
Lara Flynn Boyle is every mans' fantasy as the sexy secretary - it's hard to understand why Timithy Hutton's character is trying to resist her. A high point is when she bends over some files to reveal seamed black tights on lovely legs.
Shrewlord
January 13, 2011
A good cast almost rescue this 90s "B" movie cross between an 80s yuppie flick and Fatal Attraction. Story is quite weak and a little silly.
March 21, 2010
That's one wacky cookie company.
December 4, 2009
I forgot that Lara Flynn Boyle was once famous. Why is Lara Flynn Boyle? Watched this, missed Twin Peaks, wanted to feed her a cheeseburger.
½ October 2, 2009
* (out of four)

Ridiculous film with Timothy Hutton as a business man who hires a temporary worker (Lara Flynn Boyle). She becomes obsessive.

The acting and script is terrible. "The Temp" should be forgotten...permanently.