Tennen Kokekk˘ (A Gentle Breeze in the Village) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tennen Kokekk˘ (A Gentle Breeze in the Village) Reviews

April 16, 2012
This is a prime example of why I love Japanese movies so much. A slice of life/coming of age story with a nice, gentle and relaxed pace about it. Nothing too overdramatic except to show the sensitive nature of the lead female character. Soyo is a person that worries too much (not that she's a neurotic teen girl!) about her mistakes. She tries to balance her life out by caring about the feelings of those around her such as family and friends but also going through something that she's never felt before - her first romantic experience. The movie is also about nostalgia and enjoying the things that you did as a kid such as going to the beach, school, hanging out with your friends and falling for someone for the first time. Soyo is such a naive young girl but living in such a rural area you'd expect that somebody like her wouldn't be exposed to many things that city kids get up to. We do get to see a clash of cultures with a school trip to Tokyo. Soyo has always wanted to go there but after experiencing the hustle and bustle of the big city she realises that there's nothing quite like home in the country.

Kaho is quite brilliant as the innocent Soyo, a person not being able to express her feelings properly. She was perfect for the role, charming and so likeable. The chemistry between all of the kids is wonderful to watch, they're like a small extended family due to the place where they live being a small knit community. You'll be stunned at the breathtaking countryside scenery that's shown to you. A kind of place perhaps you wished you could live there yourself.....well I did anyway! For those of you thinking that running a school with so little pupils is a bit far fetched, the truth is these kind of places do exist in Japan. I was instantly drawn to the story and the characters. You can relate to them. I don't think the sideplot about Soyo's father and Osawa's mother (they seem to have had a relationship in the past) was really necessary and only distracted you from the main story. I knew I'd like this movie instantly when I realised that the director Nobuhiro Yamashita had also made the awesome Linda, Linda, Linda.

I can see some people tagging this movie as being too slow and boring but I'm a kind of person that loves these kind of heartwarming movies. It was such an absolute pleasure to watch.
February 11, 2012
beautifully shot and paced drama about bucolic life in japan. the arrival of the big-city boy stirs up a lot excitement at school. the youngest student sachiko acted really well, but it's the cameo kitty (which looks exactly like our stripey) who stole my heart
February 9, 2012
i loved how every detail wasn't overlooked and weaved into a delicately beautiful tale of first-love, set in Japan's scenic countryside. the littlest one in school and a house cat were wonderfully captured too.
½ December 6, 2009
those days when you loved your school more than the boy sitting next to you...
June 23, 2009
Nobuhiro Yamashita, the director of the superb "Linda Linda Linda" has created a much different coming of age story set in a small village in Southern Japan. Soyo ( a brilliant performance by newcomer Kaho) who joyfully attends school with her five classmates until the arrival of Hiromi a new student who has come to the village after his parents ugly divorce. He immediately becomes the object of Soyo's affection and the dynamic of the school is forever changed. It is the cumbersome nature of their relationship and the reactions of those around them, so realistically brought out in every awkward moment that truly defines this film. After this film it is clear that Nobuhiro Yamashita may understand adolescence better than any director working today.
May 17, 2009
Very simple, very deep. These are the movies I love.
January 20, 2009
Set in rural Japan, this slow-moving film shows the simple everyday village life of a schoolgirl
November 30, 2008
Really worth to see. Beautiful views, great actings, touching scenes, a really sepcial movie. Not the boring films with story like "girl attrated by a cool boy who came from the city...at last they be with each other happily". People shouldn't say they'r not interested in it without watching.
½ November 10, 2008
I don't Kaho, but she's great in this movie. Yamashita is undoubtedly one of the best Japanese directors in our generation.
August 17, 2008
I wish I could marry this movie.

There's a lot of things I want to say about Tennen Kokekko, but if I try it'll probably all come out wrong. This is the kind of movie that makes me happy and depressed at the same time. It's a replacement for nostalgia missing in my own life.

This is the very definition of "slice-of-life." It has even less of a plot than Linda Linda Linda. There is, really, no plot at all. There are few characters and the dialog is for the most part inconsequential. These are all reasons why I love it, but they also make it probably the least approachable "warm and fuzzy" flick I've ever seen. So, warning there.

Make sure you watch through the credits.
½ August 16, 2008
A film to remember. Recalling your joy during childhood: peaceful and sweet!
June 29, 2008
Rather cute, but a bit slow.
½ June 22, 2008
A very sweet and innocent film that seems to value the concept of childhood much more than recent 'kid's' films from Hollywood. Also the little girl who plays Sachicko is just the cutest little thing.
June 21, 2008
A film with values, happy moments and a real insight into what makes Japanese women such good wives.

It needed to end sooner but still not bad.
½ June 16, 2008
I really enjoyed this coming-of-age movie. It has scenes in it that come across as detached vignettes that aren't essential to the main story thread yet I found everyone of them to be worth watching. Some stories that seem to be integral are never resolved but again, that's fine because that's life. This is a character movie with Kaho perfectly cast as the lead actress. She's excellent as she portrays all the awkwardness, sentimentality, and wonderment of being a teen. From the director of Linda, Linda, Linda and just as worthy of multiple viewings to catch all the nuances in every scene!
½ June 14, 2008
Typical Japanese youth love story. Beautiful. Brings one to his/her teen years.
½ June 14, 2008
Typical Japanese youth love story. Beautiful. Brings one to his/her teen years.
½ June 9, 2008
simple, moving and sublime story about the lives of several middle school students and their small village in rural Japan
½ April 23, 2008
An unusual film that is both refreshing and with depth. Big change for Director Yamashita from Linda, Linda, Linda. But in a good way. Wonder if Kaho can play guitar too for Linda3x 2?
March 26, 2008
if ozu made cutesy teenager movies, they probably would have come out like this. i hate cute movies but i still loved this one. directed by the guy who did 'linda linda linda'.