Terminator 2: Judgment Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Terminator 2: Judgment Day Reviews

May 13, 2018
10 years after the events of "The Terminator," Sarah Connor's son, John is now hunted by a Terminator far more advanced than the previous one sent after Sarah in 1984. To counter the sinister AI known as Skynet's attempt at John's life, the human resistance from the future sends back a Terminator of their own to protect John.

"Terminator 2: Judgment Day" is directed by James Cameron and written by James Cameron and William Wisher. Released seven years after the original film, this colossal sequel smashed the box office, and came at the height of Arnold Schwarzenegger's popularity. "T2" was a pop culture phenomenon and blew the doors wide open for science fiction and visual effects in the 90s. Without which, we probably wouldn't have films like "Jurassic Park."

Starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as the titular character, Linda Hamilton returning an aptly hardened and tortured Sarah Connor, Edward Furlong as the young John Connor, and finally Robert Patrick as the menacing T-1000, "Terminator 2" brings its A game with its casting.

Linda Hamilton does an outstanding job as Sarah Connor, and her transformation from the first film is amazing. That's how you do character development! Arnold just pretty much does his thing as the Terminator, and his one-liners are legendary. Edward Furlong is quite annoying, but he is just a kid in "T2," so it's excusable. Lastly (but not not least), Robert Patrick's understated yet sinister performance makes the T-1000 one of the most malicious villain to ever grace the screen.

With this vast and ambitious sequel, James Cameron pits our protagonists against a villain with twice the power and intellect. This is a chase film, much like its predecessor, but Cameron takes care to infuse "Terminator 2" with deep themes like nuclear war, fatalism, and the human condition. The main theme of the film, I think is summed up nicely in the last line: "If a machine, a Terminator, can learn the value of human life, maybe we can too." I think that's what really makes "Terminator 2" great among other science fiction films. There's a human-centric story at the core of it, and the characters are very much important in this film.

Themes aside, James Cameron steers the audience through grand action sequences peppered with car chases, Arnie firing a mini-gun, and giant explosions, and spectacular visual effects that still hold up to this day. Mirroring the first film, "T2" does slow down in its second act, but it actually serves a thematic purpose. Rather than shoving exposition down the viewer's throat in one single scene, the film draws out its runtime a bit to dig deeper into the relationships between Sarah, John, and the Terminator.

"Terminator 2: Judgment Day" surpasses the original film with its staggering action, visuals, and rich characters. If you haven't seen "T2," I would very much suggest that you watch it after you read this review--this is probably my favorite film. You can watch "Terminator 2" as strictly an action movie, but you can also see it as an examination on what makes us human, and what it takes to connect with one another on a deeper level.

"The future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
½ May 13, 2018
Spectacular sequel to an awesome movie, which is a rare thing.
May 7, 2018
the best action film ever a must see and a classic
½ April 11, 2018
some stellar special effects, slick directing from cameron and an affectionate performance from schwarzenegger as an emotionless cyborg; but an unremarkable plot essentially rehashing the original. albeit gilding it in higher fashion.
April 2, 2018
Re-watch this fantastic movie from my High School Days. Still as good as ever. James Cameron is a fucking genius. It has everything action, suspense and wonderful character building. I love the yesteryear's action movies. They are fun to watch and the best is minus any stupid liberal socio commentary. Too bad Arnie is getting old.
½ March 29, 2018
A truly violent masterpiece. Intense and impressive on so many levels!
March 19, 2018
An amazing sequel, and where the series should have ended
½ March 19, 2018
Everything great about the first film, but the two hour and 30 minute length really could've been cut down.
March 9, 2018
A Classic sci fi Movie
February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 24, 2018
Five stars when it came out and five stars after watching it for the 20th time. If you're one of the (5) critics that gave a 'Rotten' tomato rating, you are truly out of touch with reality. [Update - lol, I actually went and read the critics' reviews that gave 'rotten'. I take it back, they aren't out of touch with reality, they just didn't actually watch the movie.]
February 18, 2018
Even better then the first one
February 18, 2018
one of the best sci-fi films in history for great action, great acting, great story and a film that is timeless
February 12, 2018
If you only watch one movie of the Terminator series, watch this one. It's perfection.
½ February 6, 2018
Cinematography/Editing: 4
Age/Originality: 4
Total: 19/25
February 3, 2018
A pretty much flawless movie that after almost 30 years is still one of the most impressive forms of science fiction and storytelling. This is a rare kind of film that will remain strong for a long time to come. It couldnt have been done better, and James Cameron himself wouldnt be able to make another Terminator movie to even equal it. A rare and fantastic masterpiece of film.
January 31, 2018
2/1/2018
Revived in 3D just recently, and just brushing aside the now very off dating of things that have already happened, this film was pretty groundbreaking during the time it was made in terms of effects. The storyline is also not dated, which can't be said for a lot of the movies from this decade.
January 28, 2018
Flawless. The apotheosis of action movies. Probably the best action movie. Ever. Nuff said.
January 24, 2018
Exceptional action and suspense. The special effects are great and well ahead of their time. Although the Terminator series itself laid some eggs, this one will not disappoint. The movie is a must see or a "watch again and again" if you have already seen it.
January 18, 2018
After I saw the first one, I didn't think there could be anything worse... Until I saw the second one...