Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Terminator 3 - Rise of the Machines Reviews

jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Good film but should of ended after number 2, But still good action and didn't lose its roots, Tried to be different with a female villain and it pretty much worked but apart from that it's nothing we haven't seen before just with better effects.
July 27, 2016
***
It's really not as bad as some say, to the point where I would actually call it a good movie. But...why? It didn't need to be made. T2 was the PERFECT ending to this franchise, and quite frankly it should've stopped there. But this entry actually isn't all that bad.
July 26, 2016
The film can not compare at all to the first two. From the arrival scene to the action and suspense, it's all done wrong. Clearly the best part is the T-X arrival...
July 25, 2016
The First Movie was a masterpiece and The Terminator was the killer,
This was a fucking abomination compared to the prequel.

Terminator 2 Judgement day was the best movie i ever saw.

Score: 2.5/10
July 15, 2016
Extremely disappointing sequel that is just so forgettable and doesn't even come close to the genius of the first 2 films.
½ June 18, 2016
The film was alright, not great. While the plot is more or less recycling T2, we got to see more of John Connor before Judgment Day. And we got to see the world end! I'm glad they ended it with a feeling of hopelessness
½ June 16, 2016
Meh this movie was mediocre at best
½ June 15, 2016
Like him or hate him, things seem to go south for movie franchises once James Cameron leaves them. It happened with the Alien franchise, and it happened with the Terminator franchise. It's hard to believe that a sequel to Terminator 2 could be this bland.

There's just something missing from Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines. The action sequences are bigger and louder, but they lack adrenaline and impact. It feels like director Jonathan Mostow is doing little more than saying "Hey, we got a huge budget for this movie, so look at all the cool setpieces we can do!" There's nothing explicitly wrong with how the scenes are actually filmed, but they just don't have any impact.

Even more insulting is how the characters are handled. The rambunctious and rebellious John Connor from Edward Furlong's portrayal is devolved into a lifeless, stoic action hero in the form of Nick Stahl. Claire Danes is no better, and shows no signs of growing into a character capable of leading a resistance against sentient robots. Arnold Schwarzenegger is the highlight, but even he lacks both the ferocity of his original performance, and the naiveté of his Judgment Day character.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is just perfectly mediocre. That's not necessarily a bad thing for any other franchise entry, but for a film coming off of two of the greatest sci-fi films in cinematic history, it's a major letdown.
June 13, 2016
I enjoyed this, even though it is a different director, and a step down from T2. I think it is fun, action packed, and worth checking out.
June 6, 2016
A decent addition to the franchise, but never reaches the emotional depths of the first two. James Cameron is sorely missed at the helm...
½ May 23, 2016
On a second thought, after Salvation and Genisys, I do enjoy this movie
½ May 23, 2016
While it does have some silly moments and it feels like the second movie, "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" is a great sequel with awesome action and a really unique villan, T-X.
½ May 12, 2016
better then salvation
½ May 10, 2016
Movie was ok but a big failure to add to a trilogy.
½ April 25, 2016
Decent action, movie and cast. I love the way even on the 3rd movie it still ties in very closely to the first.
½ April 24, 2016
Terminator 3 is a 2003 American science fiction action film, directed by Jonathan Mostow and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.

And it is the first in the series not to be written or directed by series director James Cameron.

This film takes place almost ten years after the events from T2. John Conner has been hiding during this time off the grid. As a result, Sky net, the totalitarian computer system bent on taking over the world and destroying mankind has not seen John Conner listed in the future. His mother is no longer living and even though judgment day has come and gone. Conner believes that it's still coming. Instead of sending a Terminator to find John again, Skynet decides to send a assassin to kill Conners future wife and all of the present resistance fighters such as John Conners future father in-law. They send the T-X a Terminator with a female form. Once again the future resistance send a lone warrior the T-800 as a protector, and the question is which machine will find the target first?

Terminator 3 Rise of the Machines received generally positive reviews. James Cameron said that the film was great. film critic Roger Ebert gave it 2 1/2 stars. The film earned world wide gross of $433 million 17% less than T2. The first budget for the film was $169-$170 million. At the time it was one of the first film to be green lit at this price. The final budget was $187 million. Schwarzenegger's salary was $29.25 million plus 20% of the profits. However to keep the film in LA instead of allowing the film to go to Canada, Arnold donated $1.3 million of his own money.

Terminator 3 was a mess. The movie was burden with an incomplete script and plot points that made no sense. James Cameron once said that the Terminator should be seen as something serious and something deadly. It is never to be mocked, made fun of or perceived as a joke. At the beginning of the film, the T-800 goes to an establishment to attain some clothing. He goes into a gay strip club and when approached by a male dancer offering resistance, the machine extends his arm with his hand open and exclaim "talk to the hand." WTH! Thru out the 90's Cameron said that he would return to direct Terminator 3 but a good script never arrived and the original company Orion went out of business in 1999.

Linda Hamilton was asked to reprise her role as Sarah Connor but she deemed the role too small and it gave her a death scene in the film that added very little consequences to the overall story.

Edward Furlong was offered the role of John Conner but he was battling a drug addiction. This is ashamed, his performance while high, would've been better than Nick Stahls performance.

This film was rudderless, and although it made money it was barely profitable.
For my money, avoid it, the film is a poor follow up to the much superior Terminator 2.
½ April 22, 2016
Terminator 3 really did not need to happen, especially since the movie is just a retread of T2 (which was also a retread of the T1). I would be offended, but only if the movie wasn't entertaining. I find it to be very enjoyable, even though its existence was just to milk more money. It's not great, but it comes very close to being great. It's more of a pointless, yet entertainingly good sequel.
½ March 30, 2016
Not too bad didn't live up to the first and second one though.
March 11, 2016
Epic first chase scene
½ March 5, 2016
Terminator 3 makes us follow the boring story of John Connor and Kate Brewster, both future leaders of the resistance, as they try and evade a female Terminator. It is mostly not exciting except for a few drawn out and over the top car sequences.