Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tess of the D'Urbervilles Reviews

January 23, 2009
O Golly, golly...this looks really good....
November 21, 2008
My favorite adaption of Thomas Hardy's novel.
August 16, 2008
I wanted to watch this after seeing Justine Waddell in "Wives & Daughters".

My verdict:
Wonderful acting, music and scenery. Terribly depressing story on the whole.
I personally wouldn't watch it again.
August 5, 2008
This was the first contact with Tess I ever had - or with anything Hardy related, and I think I must have only been about eight, but parts of this adaptaion have stayed with me. I have vivid recollections of Angel carrying her over the puddle (because at the time, and being so young and ignorant I thought it a very silly thing to do - no one carried me over puddles!) and I remember how sad I felt for Tess as she buried Sorrow, and I always remember the scene when she yells at Alec that he said Angel would never come back for her, and then seeing Tess walk out with the knife. Even at such a young age it must have had a lasting effect on me because now I love Hardy and his works, he has become one of my favourite all time authors. I would definalty recommend this adaptation, but more than that i would recommend the book - but be warned the story of Tess' life is not a happy one.
August 3, 2008
I loved this movie but it was sooooo sad.
July 19, 2008
i saw the movie few years ago first and now three weeks ago and ist was so horrible and sad to know at the beginnig how it is going to end... :( but its a wonderful film.. now i am reading the book anyway
½ July 16, 2008
I kept wondering if this could get more tragic, and it kept doing so. A moving story. Also, Justine Waddell is really talented.
May 18, 2008
can anyone help me to download this movie?
May 13, 2008
Les rapports humains ne sont pas de tt repos. Magnifique film, inoubliable. L'histoire, les paysages, la lumière, l'atmosphère ...
½ April 26, 2008
I hate depressing endings
February 28, 2008
Beautifully acted and filmed, but aspects of plot badly edited.
February 12, 2008
So sad...but it's a beautiful story. Wonderful acting and cinematography. I cried all the way through the ending.
February 7, 2008
Holy crap! This movie tore my heart out--heartbreaking! I thought Justine Waddell was wonderful as Tess (plus Oliver Milburn was hot as Angel Claire).
February 7, 2008
Thomas Hardy is one of my favorite authors, and this is a great interpretation of one of his most famous works.
February 4, 2008
Great movie and sad just like the book.
½ February 3, 2008
I confess I have not read the book, so ignorance is implicitly an issue. I can say I'm glad I'm not Tess, and that my pick of men is greater than Alec versus Angel.
½ February 2, 2008
Hardy is a wicked author and his explorations into the easy abuse of purity ?? is portrayed well in this film which I??d think you would be hard to perform any better ??the story is truly a tragic heart ach from start to the end.
½ January 12, 2008
A woman's nightmare, written by a man, about selfish men, and the woman they destroy.
½ January 4, 2008