Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait Reviews

September 18, 2014
I own this as a bonus feature on the 2005 Force Video DVD release of:
* The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
TheDudeLebowski65
January 18, 2013
Interesting documentary about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that gives a look at the making of the film. Director Brad Shellady interviews the cast and they talk about the filming of the movie. This is a well rounded out film that definitely will give fans something interesting to watch. The documentary uses footage from the film and production photos to recall the moments in making this horror classic. Tobe Hooper delivered a powerful film with the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This is not a perfect documentary, but it is interesting to watch as we see the cast recall the shoot. The biggest problem of the film is that it is too short, and it would have been great if it would have been longer and included more interviews and more history about this classic, landmark horror film. As it stands A Family Portrait is a good documentary, but it is interesting for what it is. The cast give terrific interviews, but like I said, there could have been a more fulfilled, more complete and in depth documentary that featured the legacy of the film, its sequels and its impact on the horror genre. There could have been a more complete documentary that looks at the entire franchise, but this only focuses on the making of the original, which is good to watch and the actors do talk about the impact a bit, but they don't go in detail about it, which is a bit disappointing. This is nonetheless essential viewing for fans of the film, but I feel that the definitive Texas Chainsaw Massacre documentary has yet to be made, until then, this is enough to please fans. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is an iconic picture and with this documentary you get a bit of the impact, but what could have been better was that the cast could have been a bit more in depth about the film's legacy and impact. Due to its short run time, we don't get that in full, and I think it's one of the film's low-points. Other than that, give A Family Portrait a viewing.
January 16, 2013
I wish i could see this movie in 3D
November 17, 2012
For fans of the 1974 horror classic.
October 14, 2012
Mostly interviews with cast members, but you learn a lot of neat things that happen during the filming and get an insight on everyone's views of the success. The editing is decent, and there's plenty of small goodies throughout.
October 6, 2012
awesome movie ... scared the crap out when i was a kid.. lol
½ August 4, 2012
NOT SO GOOD FOR KID,S
½ April 27, 2012
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: A Family Portrait (Brad Shellady, 1988)

Low-budget doco that takes a very interesting approach to covering the already out-of-cult-status-and-into-mainstream-culture-by-1988 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre: instead of focusing on the memers of the cast most folks do, the hapless teenagers, Shellady spent his time interviewing the movie's kinky, murderous family. Which is fun, though it tends to one-trick-ponydom unless you're a major TCM aficionado. Still, a lot of great behind-the-scenes stories about what it was like to film for thirty hours straight in the middle of a stifling heatwave surrounded by rotting meat. ** 1/2
April 9, 2012
GOTTA LOVE TOBE HOOPER..
½ December 27, 2011
an interesting view into the process of shooting the controversial film, yet seems a little half-assed with it's lack of the majority of the movie's actors and most notably, it's director.
November 13, 2011
For how much I like the film itself, this is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz worthy. Also, where the hell are any of the women in the film?
theunknownhobo
July 17, 2011
I genuinely love these movies and I think if I were to speak to a professional about my inherent love for them, some deeper, darker infatuation with Leatherface would emerge. The dude is just so goddamn cool!
June 16, 2010
Here's another film rating.
April 25, 2010
I have watched scenes but never finished.. and it seemed ok
January 30, 2010
A classic, naturally, but also a little long..
December 22, 2009
wtf is this a rmake or re release
June 11, 2009
I wish that they interviewed more than four people for this documentary on the legendary film.
May 21, 2009
Decent if you're a real fan of the original.
½ January 17, 2009
absolutely not my thingie!
January 12, 2009
X-cellent

Pretty good.Hey; people dying,blood and guts,and my favorite family of all time.Why couldn't THEY have made a sitcom?I'd actually watch that!!