Texas Across the River - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Texas Across the River Reviews

July 9, 2013
I usually like westerns. However, skip this one. (It's a barely watchable comedy western)
July 7, 2013
It's been almost 50 years since I've seen this movie but I remember it as roll in this aisles hilarious. I was working as an usher at the time and it was so popular the house was packed for weeks.
September 8, 2012
a must see...if u like westerns with comedy
June 25, 2011
If you haven't seen this...give it a shot, a great comedy western with Dean Martin, Joey Bishop and Alain Delon to name a few. I watched this as a kid with my Dad who got such a kick out of the silly spoof-ish humor, and I guess it rubbed off :) It's a cult classic for sure...Priceless!
November 8, 2010
Ok, ok ok! What kind of reviewer actually takes the time to review Texas Across the River?

Call me whatever, but there was a time, believe it or not, that as a member of the Rat Pack... Dean Martin and Joey Bishop could do ANYTHING in film and get away with it!

I love the title by the way, so this one gets points for at least that. More a period piece of Americana than any great statement in a film. Its sometimes amusing, but not enough.
All about a love triangle where things are resolved in Texas, which is across the river, hence the title.

This light hearted western comedy should never be taken as a serious western... just like Blazing Saddles of its era. This is a very sarcastic look at the west and shows Martin in an element the folks loved at the time. The devil may care attitude in his sylish hit TV show The Dean Martin Show, was carried into this romp through the tumbleweed.

Suggested for immature film watchers everywhere, to screw your head on straight about dry wit comedy. Again, not a serious western at all, good for seeing period filmaking at the time.

Directed by Michael Gordon
Produced by Harry Keller
Written by Wells Root, Harold Greene, and Ben Starr

Dean Martin
Joey Bishop (as an Indian?)
Alain Delon
Rosemary Forsyth
Music by Sammy Cahn and James Van Heusen (hit making duo)
Cinematography Russell Metty
September 9, 2010
July 20, 2009
This movie is so offbeat, so silly, and so well-written that it defies logic. How is it possible to incorporate 60's secret agent music into a western and hope for it to work? I don't know, but all I can say is that it works in spades! Alain Delon holds his own remarkably well in a rare comedic role, and, of course, Joey Bishop and Dean Martin are so comfortable together that they are funny even when they aren't speaking. Everything works in this, especially the little "pas de trois" toward the end when each of the three characters is a line or two behind the others--classic and great execution. And the lines, like "I do not laugh at your pain, but...the location!" and "Arborarh, haar!" have taken on a life of their own within our household, and there are lots more to take from this movie. The only downside is that the retakes are badly done--guess the studio didn't want them to look like they were part of the movie?
Get ready for a silly ride. Oh, and check out Stuart Anderson's face as he sails over the balcony--it is worth re-running a few times!
½ April 7, 2009
Hilarious. Excellent tongue in cheek comedy. A great family movie.
April 6, 2009
GREAT GOD! This Movie is so Funny. I think the Best Western Comedy Movie I have ever seen beside my Fav Bud Spencer and Terence Hill Movies. I havent seen many Movies with Dean Martin. AWESOME Classic