Texas Killing Fields - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Texas Killing Fields Reviews

½ November 23, 2014
Texas Killing Fields doesn't blend the best for me. I love segments of it, but some of the melodrama is just a bit corny. The actors do a lot to make up for it however.. some of the best in the biz.
October 26, 2014
Texas Killing Fields is a movie that should have been a TV series instead. There is way too much going on here for a simple two hour movie, leaving things confusing and unsettled. Based on a true story, Texas Killing Fields tells the story of an area outside of Texas City known as the highway to hell. Since 1970, more than 60 bodies have been found dumped in this desolate area and most of the crimes have never been solved. This film follows the arrival of a New York City Homicide Detective, who has moved to the area and starts investigating a recent series of crimes. If this film had stuck to the story, it would have been terrific, because there was a lot to work with. Instead, the film jumps between three different crimes, in two different jurisdictions, which leaves a team of detectives separated and working on their own things. There is absolutely no background story on the detectives, the victims, the suspects, or the fields, and when the cops are talking to people, it feels like you've missed a whole lot of background information. Everyone knows everyone in these small towns, but the writers seem to have forgotten that we don't know anyone and were left extremely confused. There are a dozen suspect and a new victim every half hour. With each cop working on his own, we are thrown back and fourth to the point where the film becomes unwatchable. Avatar's Sam Worthington stars and as with that film, he's really nothing special. The guy is an interesting side character at best, but definitely not ready to be starring his own film. His partner is played by Jeffery Morgan, who eerily looks like he could be Javier Bardem's twin. Morgan was somewhat better than Worthington, but again the performance was uneven and hard to judge, because it was simply impossible to keep up with what was going on. Texas Killing Fields had a real life story to play on, but too many good ideas for it's own good. The producers try to pack in as much as they could into 105 minutes, which wasn't enough time to tell the story, and left the audience scratching it's heads.
October 3, 2014
watchable.nothing too exciting. that is all
½ September 9, 2014
Shambolic and often incoherent, Mannīs daughter clearly proves talent isnīt genetic. A shame as despite decent performances, poor camera work and muddled writing completely sink it.
September 8, 2014
The worst murder mystery ever written for film.
August 31, 2014
Chloe Moretz and Jeffry Deam Morgan are great in the boring mystery. There are just too many illogical red herrings, bad acting and horrible editing to make this movie anything but a jumbled mess.
½ February 9, 2014
I know many people don't like Sam Worthington and I'm one of them. Worthington is trying to prove that he's not the one-dimensional actor that we all think he is. I say RENT IT!!!
½ February 5, 2014
"Once in...There's no way out."

Texas Killing Fields had the potential to be one of those rare and memorable suspense thrillers that actually work; it had a strong cast, the cinematography was beautifully executed by Stuart Dryburgh creating a depressing atmosphere fitting the tone of the story, and an interesting premise. But somewhere along the way the execution didn't work and the film failed to live up to its potential. I can't say if it was the script or the editing, but the story felt incomplete and incoherent at times. Ami Canaan Mann, Michael Mann's daughter, failed to dig deeper into the storyline and the result was a sort of disjointed film. I still enjoyed the film for the atmosphere and suspense it was creating, but the two different story lines never seemed to be fully developed and I couldn't help but feel that something was left out in the editing floor. I kept on expecting more, but I was disappointed despite the solid performances. I'm a fan of gritty detective stories, and this film does succeed in being gritty and dark, but the detective elements of the story never added up. I'm currently watching the HBO series, True Detective, and that show absolutely gets everything that this movie didn't, right. Skip this film and watch True Detective instead.

Inspired by true events, Don Ferrarone wrote the screenplay about a series of murders taking place in the Texas Killing Fields. When the film opens we are introduced to Detectives Mike Sauder (Sam Worthington) and Brian Heigh (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) who are investigating a murder that took place near a gas station. Brian receives a call from Detective Pam Stall (Jessica Chastain) about a missing woman who she believes might be yet another victim of a serial killer who leaves the bodies of young girls in the abandoned Texas Killing Fields. Pam is Mike's ex-wife and Mike insists that they can't help her because those cases are out of their jurisdiction and they have to solve this case they are in now. However they still try to help out while working on their case. Brian is a loving father who takes an interest in a young girl named Ann (Chloe Grace Moretz) who comes from an abusive dysfunctional family, while Mike is more of a loner. Mike's clues lead him to investigate two local criminals (one of them played by Jason Clarke), while Brian is more focused on finding the serial killer in the dangerous Killing Fields.

Both investigations really caught my attention, but unfortunately one of them was kind of left out and forgotten at the end leaving me feeling a bit disappointed. The two main actors give solid performances, but their characters share the typical cliches found in other buddy cop films. Chastain is a seriously talented actress, but unfortunately her character didn't have much to work with. She has little screen time and is underused. I'm a huge fan of Chloe Grace Moretz and I have seen most of her films, but her character doesn't do much in this story either. None of the characters were developed too well and the film basically focused on the police procedural that began promising but got off track really quick by presenting two disjointed story lines. I can see how this film might work for some people because it has a talented cast, but I just felt it was a bit disjointed and incomplete. I'm still glad they made a film about this side of America that is usually not presented in Hollywood.
½ February 5, 2014
"Once in...There's no way out."

January 17, 2014
great cast, boring and predictable movie
January 12, 2014
If i read the comments from other viewers , i have to say ...some are right , so i give half a star less .
On my dvd the second watch is the same
½ October 31, 2013
A moody environment for an hard-bitten detective investigation, but this is done with little pace to it, much to the film's detriment.
October 20, 2013
This boring bayou film directed by Michael Mann's daughter this has some of the heavyweight police procedural of her father's oeuvre but none of the action or storytelling as cops Sam Worthington and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Watchmen's The Comedian) play antagonistic partners investigating murders of young women in and around the Houston area sometime crossing lines, boundaries, relationships and jurisdictions to get their job done. The 1 1/2 hour runtime seems much longer given the slow pace which is a shame as there are some great performances (especially from Kick Ass' Chloë Moretz and Snatch's Stephen Graham) but the whole doesn't hang together too well and some faster editing would have done the movie a world of good. 6/10 Midlands Movies Mike
October 20, 2013
Uneven, unpleasant and unimpressive, despite a fine cast. The plot is mush.
October 10, 2013
cops seemed not to follow regulations sometimes hard to follow but decent film
September 22, 2013
Great killer, great story, and followed up, not really fond of how they finish the movie, but its based on true events. For someone who knows about this killings, creepy as hell.
September 21, 2013
it was good kept me interested for awhile
September 19, 2013
Texas Killing Fields is very straightforward and runs along quite pleasantly. I think it's a pretty good watch if you're interested in small town serial murder cop thrillers. I particularly liked Jeffrey Dean Morgan & Chloe Grace Moretz here, though not too fussed with Sam Worthington and had to use subtitles to understand what he was saying at times. What's with him and his dreadful accents? I think the ending poses more questions than it answers for me and the whole closing felt quite rushed with little depth, i was shocked at how simple solving the case was. Overall this is quite good if you catch it on TV or pick it up at Blockbuster on a dark lonely rainy day but the plot lets it down.
August 18, 2013
Very poor, elongated episode of CSI, but not as well written, directed or produced. Very mediocre plot, with no explanation what was going on or why, and with extraneous baddies of whom we have no idea how they fit in to the story. The sound quality made understanding the actors difficult, especially the inexplicably popular Sam Worthington who mumbles his way through the movie. He really is a Woodentop!
August 2, 2013