Texas Killing Fields - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Texas Killing Fields Reviews

May 27, 2013
One of the best movies I've seen in my entire life. And looks like it's misunderstood and hugely underestimated. Man's daughter is true genius and I believe that despite ignorant reviews by children minded reviewers won't discourage her. this is a true jewel
½ May 23, 2013
It's structured poorly, it flows weird, and some of the plot points are difficult to follow, but it's all forgivable for me because the acting and the cinematography are both so great. As soon as I saw Jeffrey Dean Morgan on the box I was psyched, but when I saw Sam Worthington my heart sank. I was convinced he would be what that sends this film screeching off the road, but he really was very good. Jessica Chastain was of course fantastic as well, and so was Stephen Graham, but someone I was really disappointed in was Jason Clarke. That guy is a genius, and he really let me down with this one. Overall it was forgettable, but it was a fantastic debut for Ami Canaan Mann.
½ May 11, 2013
This bleak procedural is in many ways is the opposite of the film Se7en. A big city cop goes to the sticks to find redemption. If Se7en is a narrative from the perspective of the young, optimistic atheist trying to make future and understand a perversely moralistic killer then this is a film from the perspective of a struggling yet pious man trying to reconcile the past and understand an irrational and amoral killer. And while this film is obtuse at times it is a promising work of a director with much potential. Great central performances.
½ May 10, 2013
Huge disappointment. I lived through a good chunk of the real story and expected to see more of it in the movie, not just bits a pieces and way too much Hollywood drama. I can't stand that it has the feel of a movie that is set in the past, yet it's supposed to be current. So glad I saw it free on Encore instead of wasting my money in theaters.
May 7, 2013
Texas Killing Fields provides some chills, and features amazing performances from its cast, but it's some times tasteless and let down by an non-coherent and messy storytelling.
April 22, 2013
Just finished watching it. what a piece of crap. More holes than my worn out sneakers.
Ami get a real job.
April 19, 2013
It's incredibly dull yet the story is intriguing and the performances from the cast are good, which carry the film and keeps it from falling into oblivion. My favorite performance is from Chloe Grace Moretz.
½ April 15, 2013
Interesting, gripping, gritty crime-drama. Has a few minor detours which seem unnecessary, and it is not entirely coherent, but it is very intriguing and the pace doesn't slack off for a moment.

Decent performances from Sam Worthington, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jessica Chastain. Chloe Moretz was a bit irritating though.
March 31, 2013
Not nearly as predictable as I expected and probably the best performance I've seen by Worthington. Little rushed and neat at the end but overall a good crime thriller with heart.
½ March 24, 2013
No entiendo por han criticado tan bajo esta cinta. Cierto, luego de ver cintas como Seven o Silence of the Lambs, on inclusive cualquier episodio de CSI tiene mayor ritmo. Sin embargo tampoco es tan mala. Tal vez su pecado es que es muy lenta para lograr llegar a carburar, pero sin embargo presenta una historia aceptable y el elenco es muy bueno, con Sam Worthington, Jeffrey Dean Morgan y Jessica Chastain, y alabo especialmente la elección de Chloe Grace Moretz por aceptar este papel, eso demuestra que la joven actriz va por buen camino, apuntando a papeles más dramáticos. Para quienes gustan de cintas policiales, creo que encontraran esta cinta más que aceptable. Recomendada.
March 24, 2013
Una pelicula mas, con intriga de asesino incluida, con policias concienciados con el dolor y sufrimiento de la/las victimas, con policia torturado por algun motivo de su pasado... Mas de lo mismo... Buena Jessica Chastain eso si...
½ March 16, 2013
I liked the movie. Good story, very good characters and excellent actors.
½ March 11, 2013
Director Ami Cannan Mann knows how to create atmosphere but, sadly, no idea how to tell a story. It 's aggravating because somewhere inside here is a good crime thriller wanting to get out but, Mann and scribe Don Ferrarone bury it in various subplots to which director Mann can't decide on which to focus. Set in a backwater Texas town the story shifts back and forth between a serial killer case, the personal issues of Jeffrey Dean Morgan's transplanted NY cop, Chloe Moretz's troubled teen, Sam Worthington's conflict with his cop ex-wife and a few other plot points and that would be fine if the various storylines flowed together in a proper narrative. They don't. When certain elements do converge for the climax, it has little impact as we never really got to care about them. We jump back and forth with none of the stories or characters focused on enough for us to become involved and the main storyline of a serial killer or killers on the loose, never gathers any intensity due to the fractured narrative and therefor never grabs us and draws us in. Film is based supposedly on a real case and was, at one point, supposed to be helmed by Danny Boyle. Would have loved to have seen what he would have done with this.
March 7, 2013
Competent but dull and derivative.
½ February 15, 2013
Wanted to be a lot more than it was.....a silly mess.
February 2, 2013
Michael Mann's daughter is directing and Mann himself is producing count me in!
January 30, 2013
It's worth seeing. The cast is awesome. Michael Mann, (who I'm a big fan of) his daughter directed this gripping thriller.
January 27, 2013
Great beginning, okay middle and then " Huh?!" Not worst film ever (really great acting) but was a disjointed story. Oh well--I've watched worst.
Harlequin68
½ January 20, 2013
After investigating the death of a young woman, Texas City Detectives Mike Souder(Sam Worthington) and Brian Heigh(Jeffrey Dean Morgan) find time to inquire into the welfare of Ann(Chloe Grace Moretz), a teenager on probation. What they do not have time to do is help Detective Pam Stall(Jessica Chastain) of a neighboring jurisdiction on her own case of a missing person. That has much more to do with their boss still being sore at them for a past transgression than the fact that she and Souder used to be married. Regardless, Heigh announces he will help with her inquiries.

Considering how ubiquitous procedurals have become lately, it is surprising that no one really manages to royally screw one up(or get one just right, either), but along comes "Texas Killing Fields" which manages to achieve a high level of incoherence through attempting to manage two cases at the same time. As inspired as this is by a true story, I got the feeling there was something desperately lurking beneath the surface but what can you do? Because, for the record, atmosphere, above average acting and a really cool car chase can only get you so far.
½ January 15, 2013
Didn't quite live up to how excited I was about it when I saw the trailer, but was good enough.