Texas Killing Fields - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Texas Killing Fields Reviews

½ July 30, 2013
It couldn't hold my interest due to not having an engaging plot or characters.
July 28, 2013
Texas Killing Fields is a suitably grim and atmospheric movie that boasts fine performances and solid direction, but is let down by an uninspiring screenplay filled with one dimentional characters
cosmo313
July 25, 2013
Inspired by actual events, this is the directorial debut of Ami Canaan Mann- the progeny of the great Michael Mann.

This is a police procedural about two detectives trailing a killer known for kidnapping and mutilating women, then dumping their bodies in a marshy area of Texas dubbed "The Killing Fields". Their case takes a turn when the killer decides to set his sight upon them.

For the most part, this is pretty standard stuff. It's not groundbreaking, but certainly watchable. It looks great, and the cinematography is probably the best aspect. The cast are notable, but their performances are serviceable, but nothing more.

The film is suspenseful, but it could have used a lot more visceral moments and action. Also, the presentation is fractured in its chronology at times, which I found to be a bit unnecessary. As far as developments with plot and characters, you get just enough, but even then, a lot of it is just standard stuff we've seen before.

I give it credit though for at least keeping my attention, even if there's really not a whole lot that goes on. See it if you want, but it's fine if you don't.
½ June 17, 2013
While it is suspenseful enough and definitely captures the eeriness of the Fields, there is far too much important information missing and far too much useless dreck included. The performances are excellent, but the script itself clearly needed a few more rewrites. With some tightening, focus and a clear vision, this film could have been groundbreaking rather than just dumped and left for dead.
June 17, 2013
the performances are not believable.
May 27, 2013
One of the best movies I've seen in my entire life. And looks like it's misunderstood and hugely underestimated. Man's daughter is true genius and I believe that despite ignorant reviews by children minded reviewers won't discourage her. this is a true jewel
½ May 23, 2013
It's structured poorly, it flows weird, and some of the plot points are difficult to follow, but it's all forgivable for me because the acting and the cinematography are both so great. As soon as I saw Jeffrey Dean Morgan on the box I was psyched, but when I saw Sam Worthington my heart sank. I was convinced he would be what that sends this film screeching off the road, but he really was very good. Jessica Chastain was of course fantastic as well, and so was Stephen Graham, but someone I was really disappointed in was Jason Clarke. That guy is a genius, and he really let me down with this one. Overall it was forgettable, but it was a fantastic debut for Ami Canaan Mann.
½ May 11, 2013
This bleak procedural is in many ways is the opposite of the film Se7en. A big city cop goes to the sticks to find redemption. If Se7en is a narrative from the perspective of the young, optimistic atheist trying to make future and understand a perversely moralistic killer then this is a film from the perspective of a struggling yet pious man trying to reconcile the past and understand an irrational and amoral killer. And while this film is obtuse at times it is a promising work of a director with much potential. Great central performances.
½ May 10, 2013
Huge disappointment. I lived through a good chunk of the real story and expected to see more of it in the movie, not just bits a pieces and way too much Hollywood drama. I can't stand that it has the feel of a movie that is set in the past, yet it's supposed to be current. So glad I saw it free on Encore instead of wasting my money in theaters.
May 7, 2013
Texas Killing Fields provides some chills, and features amazing performances from its cast, but it's some times tasteless and let down by an non-coherent and messy storytelling.
April 22, 2013
Just finished watching it. what a piece of crap. More holes than my worn out sneakers.
Ami get a real job.
April 19, 2013
It's incredibly dull yet the story is intriguing and the performances from the cast are good, which carry the film and keeps it from falling into oblivion. My favorite performance is from Chloe Grace Moretz.
½ April 15, 2013
Interesting, gripping, gritty crime-drama. Has a few minor detours which seem unnecessary, and it is not entirely coherent, but it is very intriguing and the pace doesn't slack off for a moment.

Decent performances from Sam Worthington, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Jessica Chastain. Chloe Moretz was a bit irritating though.
March 31, 2013
Not nearly as predictable as I expected and probably the best performance I've seen by Worthington. Little rushed and neat at the end but overall a good crime thriller with heart.
½ March 24, 2013
No entiendo por han criticado tan bajo esta cinta. Cierto, luego de ver cintas como Seven o Silence of the Lambs, on inclusive cualquier episodio de CSI tiene mayor ritmo. Sin embargo tampoco es tan mala. Tal vez su pecado es que es muy lenta para lograr llegar a carburar, pero sin embargo presenta una historia aceptable y el elenco es muy bueno, con Sam Worthington, Jeffrey Dean Morgan y Jessica Chastain, y alabo especialmente la elección de Chloe Grace Moretz por aceptar este papel, eso demuestra que la joven actriz va por buen camino, apuntando a papeles más dramáticos. Para quienes gustan de cintas policiales, creo que encontraran esta cinta más que aceptable. Recomendada.
March 24, 2013
Una pelicula mas, con intriga de asesino incluida, con policias concienciados con el dolor y sufrimiento de la/las victimas, con policia torturado por algun motivo de su pasado... Mas de lo mismo... Buena Jessica Chastain eso si...
½ March 16, 2013
I liked the movie. Good story, very good characters and excellent actors.
½ March 11, 2013
Director Ami Cannan Mann knows how to create atmosphere but, sadly, no idea how to tell a story. It 's aggravating because somewhere inside here is a good crime thriller wanting to get out but, Mann and scribe Don Ferrarone bury it in various subplots to which director Mann can't decide on which to focus. Set in a backwater Texas town the story shifts back and forth between a serial killer case, the personal issues of Jeffrey Dean Morgan's transplanted NY cop, Chloe Moretz's troubled teen, Sam Worthington's conflict with his cop ex-wife and a few other plot points and that would be fine if the various storylines flowed together in a proper narrative. They don't. When certain elements do converge for the climax, it has little impact as we never really got to care about them. We jump back and forth with none of the stories or characters focused on enough for us to become involved and the main storyline of a serial killer or killers on the loose, never gathers any intensity due to the fractured narrative and therefor never grabs us and draws us in. Film is based supposedly on a real case and was, at one point, supposed to be helmed by Danny Boyle. Would have loved to have seen what he would have done with this.
March 7, 2013
Competent but dull and derivative.
½ February 15, 2013
Wanted to be a lot more than it was.....a silly mess.