Thale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thale Reviews

½ July 2, 2014
a nicely told movie that reveals everything when it should. not knowing about the nordic lore I was blind and it was just revealed to me as watching. and my curiosity got the better of me and I kinda ruined it for me before it got to the end. for a lower budget film it's done very well.
July 1, 2014
Despite its moderately interesting premise, this is rather dull and has some dreadful effects.
½ June 2, 2014
They had the right idea but simply lacked the budget and resources to pull it off!
½ May 18, 2014
Nowhere near as good as it thinks it is and painfully dreary in places. This fantasy plods through with the odd smattering of scares but it's neither one thing or the other and it's not good enough to be remembered just for its weirdness.
May 14, 2014
They don't make movies like this, anymore... and it's a shame! Cerebral, slow-paced, creepy yet full of wonder, I was sad when this movie ended! No one, to the best of my knowledge, has ever put the hulder-folk in a film, before!

If you like fast-paced action films that cater to attention-deficits, this movie will bore you. If you like a film with depth, that unfolds at its own pace and embodies the real heart of ancient magic - the fear and wonder of the unknown - then you will absolutely love it.
½ March 12, 2014
Interesting, emotional, funny.
February 26, 2014
Waste of time, and no explanations.
February 22, 2014
An equal mix of fantasy and horror, the Norwegian horror film Thale is a truly original film that examines the nature of identity and love. A very character-driven film, Thale deals with two characters trying to make sense of the impossible and one fantastical being trying to make sense of the so-called "normal" world. A film that will continue to surprise you as it explores the interaction between the basic, quotidian good of humanity and evil corporate forces that seek to milk the good for their own ends, Thale delights from beginning to end even if it never manages to quite elevate its plot the levels that it could have.
February 19, 2014
The story is quite interesting but that's pretty much as far as it went for me. Given the apparent low budget of $10,000 it's quite impressive, and there is lots of nakedness, if that interests you. ;)
½ February 6, 2014
Starts off with a decent story premise and then just kinda sits in a room with early 90s style flashbacks, and early 90s cgi.
February 5, 2014
Norwegian folklore comes to life--Fairy tale about Huldra's!!
December 22, 2013
This started off so so so well with a nice mix of humour and suspense. BUT half way through it seemed to veer off intoa new terrority. File under interesting
½ November 26, 2013
Different (quite boring too, indeed) by interpreting a horror (or a fabled maybe) story as an arthouse one.
August 10, 2013
An interesting mythology-infused Norwegian Suspense/Horror. The atmosphere is very well crafted even if the movie doesn't deliver on the scares. Fortunately it also defies most of hte horror cliches and tropes and brings a breath of fresh, suspenseful air to a genre that direly needs it.
August 9, 2013
Thale has a very unique concept but it probably could have been better. So I wouldn't really go that far to call it a masterpiece. If you are a horror fan or a fan of supernatural movies and/or movies with a bit of B-movie charm, You might find this enjoyable. However, It's a foreign language movie and it's dubbed so expect some cheesiness here and there.
July 31, 2013
Interesting idea that sadly runs out of steam too quickly.
July 27, 2013
Disappointing. Relied too much on creepy shock factor.
½ July 1, 2013
Visually well done but so many long segments with just fairy tale diary narration kinda kills the pacing.
½ July 1, 2013
Considering the budget and stacking it against general horror movies that get churned out by the minute, Thale is fairly decent albeit a bit inept in almost every area. First of all marketing it as a horror movie is a little misleading as there are no real elements of horror, it is more a dark fantasy film. Pacing was a huge issue here, as despite the incredibly brief runtime (just a little over an hour) so many scenes and shots of nothing were stretched to the fullest extent of my patience. Some scenes were so strangely paced it felt like perhaps they would have been slow motion but they just didn't have the budget for it, or perhaps the characters in the film are all just really really slow. The story and character development is a little forced but I'll give it credit for being more developed than the average B film. You hardly have time to give a shit about anyone besides Thale, the most interesting character in the film, especially one of the co-leads in the film who for some reason NEVER STOPS CHEWING. If a little more time had been spent on the story or backstory instead of the needless CGI creatures and boring unlikeable characters, this would have been a real indie gem. The actress and character of Thale herself is highly captivating, a little haunting, and the cinematography in some scenes is very well done. Unfortunately most other scenes are incredibly cheap looking, and I would say the biggest flaw of the film is it's unevenness in all areas. It's watchable but not exactly recommendable, and it could have been so much better, but it's not terrible, it definitely holds its ground in the middle of the road.
June 26, 2013