Thank You for Smoking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

November 5, 2015
Prepare to be shocked, enlightened and entertained all at the same time. "Thank You For Smoking" takes a stab at everything that is "bad for you" and turns it into an incredibly witty, political satire film that stirs up controversy and laughs left and right.
½ November 3, 2015
Smart and shocking. This is one unique movie.
October 27, 2015
Jason Reitman's "Thank You For Smoking" is quiet an unapologetic and cut-throat political satire that needs more viewers for those reasons. I first saw the film as an assignment for a political leadership course and I was immediately hooked.

The movie stars Aaron Eckhart as tobacco lobbyist Nick Naylor who's charm, charisma, and word-twisting makes him tremendously successful at his job. At every turn he does what he can against those who seek to prove the negative consequences of smoking. His biggest rival is Vermont Senator Ortolan Finistirre portrayed by William H. Macy. The Senator is pushing for a bill that would require all cigarette packages to have a skull and crossbones label that says POISON.

While fighting against the proposed legislation, Naylor is a divorced man who also wants to be a good father for his son Joey (Cameron Bright) but it can be difficult given what he does. Naylor also struggles with temptation from a young journalist (Katie Holmes), bribing the original Marlboro Man turned cancer patient (Sam Elliot), and maintaining his image.

With all of the conflict set in motion the film has some very clever moments that make it stand out as a masterpiece. While on a business trip with his son, Naylor cleverly explains to him how he wins arguments. He tells Joey to explain why chocolate is the preferred flavor of ice cream while Naylor defends vanilla. After Joey gives his argument Naylor says that there needs to be freedom of choice when it comes to ice cream flavors. Joey asks why he didn't make an argument for vanilla and Naylor says that he doesn't need to argue for himself because his goal is to prove Joey wrong "because if you're wrong, I'm right!" The ending takes place at a congressional hearing and I dare not give away any more.

With blatant satire and strong balance of drama and some quirky comedic moments, "Thank You for Smoking" is a delightfully unscrupulous treasure to behold!
October 3, 2015
The point of this movie is not that it is daring. It is not a film that intends to correct politics, but rather the view of human morals and the transgression of debate to the commoner as an argument of feeling, not logic. This film encourages thought on the self somewhat well and is not setting out to please the viewer with exuberant or massive story elements. It is wise in the same way Goodnight and Good Luck is.
October 2, 2015
This movie was way ahead of its time.
½ September 12, 2015
A comedy that shows that the worst people can be 'successful'.
½ August 18, 2015
Lead by an inspired acting performance by Aaron Eckhart and intelligent writing by Jason Reitman, Thank You For Smoking delivers a highly intelligent satire that can appeal to all sides of the political compass
½ August 18, 2015
August 13, 2015
A clever concept that revolves more around politics than humor. A great cast couldn't save some of the dull moments in this film but besides that it had it's moments and laughs.
June 13, 2015
While unorthodox and strange in many ways, Thank You For Smoking delivers a simple message of choice that it carries throughout its runtime and what effect choice can have on people. But more present than ever is Aaron Eckhart in the role of most likely one of the most hated and vile people in America, and yet he still can make you want to light one up if he offers it. Nick Naylor seems like if met in passing, you would think of him as a straight minded jerk who only cares about the body count his product racks up, but luckily through Eckhart's brilliant and complex portrayal of not only that, but also a man that is struggling with his morality and what it means to be seen as a villain out to steal money and kill children, it makes you want to give a chance but not too much of one.
½ June 12, 2015
Since I was 17, I have been attracted to this film. Back then, it was because I viewed it as an anti-smoking film that satirized the tobacco industry (for which I maintain a frothing hatred of). Today, this is still a big selling point for me, but I have a lot more critical experience, and thus I can say that this film is even better now than it was when I first saw it four years ago. The film is ostensibly satirical of the tobacco lobby, and through the film's main character Nick Naylor, this is done spectacularly well. However, the film deftly avoids being a one-dimensional anti-smoking film by also skewering the other side, showing the cunning, manipulation, and opportunism of both the tobacco industry and the anti-smoking movement. The performances were very skilful, sharp, witty, and positively scintillating, especially in the scenes where Naylor tries to connect to his son. The characters were brilliant, and the way they develop is always an interesting sight thanks to a stellar script and direction that is above reproach. The film opens with a stylistic homage to cigarette packaging, which I thought was little more than a stylistic way to open the film until the Senator unveiled his plan, which becomes the main plot of the film. A film like this would be boring without razor-sharp wit, and this film carries it in enough buckets to fill an open grave. In my opinion, this is one of the most intelligent comedies I've yet to see in film, and it's not just because of my usual leanings on the subject. Whatever you believe, I'm very certain that it is both as insightful as it is witty and entertaining.
½ May 31, 2015
A hilarious satire that leaves no side unscathed. This film was fantastic, and the strong actors really brought the phenomenally-written characters to life. There's also a pretty neat message buried in "Thank You for Smoking," but if you don't pay attention, it might go over your head.
May 30, 2015
May 29, 2015
I just didn't get this. I thought it was boring to be honest. There were some amusing parts, but they were few and far between.
½ May 24, 2015
Gute Unterhaltung ???
½ May 23, 2015
Aaron Eckhart, JK Simmons, Robert Duvall, and William H. Macy are amazing in this clever satire about a spokesman who speaks on behalf of Big Tobacco. There's a number of dilemmas that Eckhart's character faces in the movie, and he faces them with both charming wit and a philosophy that makes him a great debater. It's a great movie where, even though he know he represents one of the world's deadliest industries, you want him to succeed. But it leads to happier ending, and I enjoyed the ride.
½ May 10, 2015
Not as funny as i thought it would be and man that kid really sucked the life out of the movie, he was so annoying!
½ April 8, 2015
I really enjoy this movie. I'm not saying I support smoking, not 99 percent but 100!
½ April 8, 2015
Cynically entertaining.
½ March 23, 2015
Aaron Eckhart gives a good performance in Thank You for Smoking where he plays the spokesman for the tobacco industry. As we peak into his life we get to see how good he really is at persuading people to inhale poison. We also get a glimpse at how the government and media also manipulate people to advance their agenda. A well acted film with a good script but it falls short with lack of depth.