Thank You for Smoking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ March 5, 2015
Funny film about a tobacco lobbyist with a twist!
½ February 26, 2015
A movie all true smokers must see
½ February 16, 2015
The message was good and clear and makes you really think about who we argue and how people tend to change our minds.
January 25, 2015
Lobbyists represent everything that is wrong with our country. Instead of voting for the common good of the people, they are paid in voters and campaign contributions, to vote the way big business wishes them to vote. The result is laws that benefit the few and hurt the many. Thank You For Smoking takes an in depth look at one of these lobbyists, who works for big tobacco. In a satirical way, the film shows how this man is able to achieve his companies goals through bending the facts, bribery, and out right lying in a way that is completely legal under our system of government. Aaron Eckhart is terrific, which will come as little surprise to many, however the film was anything but. Like most films, Thank You For Smoking has it's moments, but overall the film is one short scene that just repeats it's self over and over again. The situations are different and the players are different, but the arguments and agendas are always the same. After watching two hours of the same thing over and over again, I was more than done with this film. No matter how charismatic the actor may be, the fact is that what lobbyists do isn't terribly interesting. It's one meeting and argument after another and the film just completely runs around in circles. The film was critically acclaimed for Eckhart's performance, but nothing else. Some critics think that one outstanding performance makes a film worth seeing, but I don't. Aaron Eckhart is an outstanding actor, who has been great in many other films that are worth seeing. Thank You For Smoking is nothing more than an insult to the American people, that runs forty minutes too long, and just goes around in circles, it's not something I'd recommend wasting your time on.
½ January 4, 2015
Filme quase divertido, legal ver como basta alguém saber falar pra fazer as outras pessoas se perderem nos próprios argumentos.
½ December 22, 2014
Jason Reitman once again delivers a typical satire piece that looks at both the good and evil of corporation and moral organizations in the world of spin.
½ December 20, 2014
2/8/08 12/19/14 I love the style of humor in this film. The entire subject matter is a bit ridiculous, but that doesn't really matter. This is a very unique film and highly entertaining! Eckhart is perfect for this role too. He does a terrific job.
½ December 8, 2014
Slick satire, that only somewhat comes up short as a whole, but great performances all around!
December 8, 2014
Enjoyable hypocrisy. A really amusing satire where you root for the antihero.
½ December 7, 2014
An offbeat value-driven comedy delivered in a cynical manner. Smart directing and Eckhart's machismo guarantee this film will entertain the lot.
½ December 4, 2014
'Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people, I talk'...and talk he did!

Silver-tongued Nick Naylor is Aaron Eckhart's ride into the big league
November 23, 2014
Great movie with a funny story. Chedder apple pie- the all American.
November 8, 2014
An excellent screenplay and a superb performance from lead Aaron Eckhart add to the controversial and engaging subject matter which the story is based on, while remaining neutral on the issue.
½ November 7, 2014
For some reason, I always imagined that this film was a mockumentary (no idea why)... it's fiction, but nonetheless a cleverly funny satire.
½ October 31, 2014
so many scene thieves in the movie. the cast is stellar
October 20, 2014
In retrospect, this was a nice opener to Reitman's career. The ensemble is terrific here lead by Aaron Echkhart who really deserves movies like these to carry today. Robert Duvall gives one of his best performances out of what I have seen from him and JK Simmons is excellent as ever here too. Katie Holmes, Kim Dickens, and Maria Bello are great as is Rob Lowe and the always great William H. Macy. I wish this was more funny like Juno and Up in the Air are but the script is well written and won't make you scoff at it if you don't agree with this character's morals.
½ September 7, 2014
7,5/10

So much names in this. Great scene with the death tolls argument
½ September 3, 2014
Full of lessons and extremely ironic.
August 29, 2014
It comedic and ultimately witty, which makes this movie about a lawyer of smoking comedy, a great movie to watch. I recommend it for people have an IQ over 100 and doesn't just like explosions, slap stick comedy, etc. Overall I liked it but its somewhat overrated. 8.5
½ August 11, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

It is official; Jason Reitman is one of my top 10 directors of all time. Three of the four films I have seen from his filmography are, or is close to being a masterpiece. Thank You for Smoking may not reach the brilliance that is Up in the Air, but it does come close.

On its surface, the film is portrait of a man, whose job is to convince the nation that smoking cigarettes are not at all harmful. Beyond it, explores the ego and greed that fuels the politics of tobacco smoking; it is not about the subject being discussed but rather the people that endorses it. The film is mainly centred on the protagonist, which at first may come off as one-sided, but because the film spends enough time in fleshing out the other players of the game, therefore balancing out the film's character study and social/political commentary. Reitman could have simply placed all of its eggs on the one basket, our protagonist, but that would have been too easy and shallow. It was certainly entertaining to learn, while at the same time laugh at, the tobacco situation in America. The film's comedy is so effective because what we are seeing is real, these are true human beings that fight for these causes; the only difference between it and reality, is the filter that Reitman applies in order to remove the subject's depressing atmosphere. The film's weakest aspect is its most sentimental one, and that is the relationship between the protagonist and his child; this is not to say its sentimentality is the primary rationale for its effect on me, as I felt that was handled tastefully. My issue with the film's human drama is the lack of punch that I was expecting from a Reitman film. Both "Young Adult" and "Up in the Air", possesses that element that would make care so much about the protagonist and the relationships that they own. Thankfully, the film makes up for it with its highly entertaining and fascinating subject and individual quirky characters that never at any point cross the line of being either boring or useless.

Thank You for Smoking is Jason Reitman's first feature, and let me just say; what a debut! Reitman avoids the conventionality of drama-comedy films that were released during the time. Reitman adds his own personal sense of style, which certainly wasnâ??t found in his two succeeding films, allowing Thank You for Smoking to really stand out. The director's aesthetic for the film is a blend of directors that may or may not have influenced him; I was able to pick up some Wes Anderson, David Fincher, and Martin Scorsese trademarks in this film, it is certainly an odd mixture but what he has delivered here, proved me otherwise. Though the film is brimming with style, it never reaches to a point where it defines or overtakes the film, unlike the directors that influenced it, as Reitman believes that a film's power comes from its characters, particularly his protagonists. Take a look at all of his films, as all of them seem to demonstrate fascinating and absorbing protagonist that evidently rises above almost all aspects of the film; when we think of Up In The Air, Young Adult, and Juno, what is the first thing that come to our minds? Straight away, it should be the protagonist of the story. I cannot carry this, though, to Reitman's latest film Labor Day as I have yet to see it.

The cast for this film is wonderful, with each and every one of them delivering Grade A performances. I think this was the film that convinced Christopher Nolan to cast Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent, as his performance here was just phenomenal. He brought so much charisma to his role here as Nick Naylor, that itâ??s difficult to not be persuaded or be hypnotized with everything he does here. The rest of the cast was great but none could hold a candle to Aaron Eckhart's performance; the stands out would have to be William H. Macy and J.K. Simmons.

Thank You for Smoking would be a great starting point in exploring Jason Reitman's filmography, as I think it would be a great warm up to his succeeding films. Reitman's debut is an underrated gem of 21st century cinema.