That Thing You Do! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That Thing You Do! Reviews

April 21, 2016
Anyone who's ever been in a band has two film assignments: Spinal Tap and this. That Thing You Do is as catchy a movie as the title song itself. That title speaks to how people experiencing a sudden life-shift quickly figure out who they should be. Why hasn't Hanks matched this directing/writing effort? His control over this world is so apparent. Mostly, it's an immensely quotable bit of pop-perfection that does so little wrong and oh so much right (Zahn is so wonderful he raises the whole thing a star).
April 16, 2016
Very good movie and very good soundtrack!
April 13, 2016
I still enjoy watching this movie! I love 50's music....and I was born not too far from Erie Pa.....so maybe thats part of the reason why! :)
½ April 9, 2016
A pleasant period piece about a '60s rock band becoming famous. The title song is catchy too. (First and only viewing - 12/8/2014)
March 29, 2016
Overly entertaining, this is one for the kids and the adults. It's remembered fondly today.
½ February 3, 2016
One of my favorite movies. Highly re-watchable.
January 1, 2016
Really great movie with a lot of great storytelling and character. So many up and coming talent and Hanks really shows a skill for directing and screenwriting. I didn't expect to like this film so much and I can't express how much I liked this film, something with heart doesn't come along that often.
December 10, 2015
Its a nice period music piece that looks at the industry (sort of) in the mid 60s. The usual ups and downs of a band are in there as well as random relationship tidbits...most of which are not followed too deeply. I never really got that the focus was on the the band's talent or rise to fame or relationship with each other or dealing with the industry.....and so forth, because its focus is never cemented enough to learn something. A solid cast, nice music and a still entertaining enough look at a band from the 60's makes it worth watching...once.
November 21, 2015
While the story is thoroughly predictable, the characters and plot are admirably understated. You understand the characters' motives without stating the obvious, and the conflicts are realistic and never overblown. It is also a fun parody of boy-band mania from the '60s with wonderful production design.
August 20, 2015
Tom Hanks taking a shot on the director's chair at his directorial debut matches his natural acting talents made this a fun entertainment with catchy, foot-tapping tunes throughout. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 17, 2015
i really love this movie
½ August 12, 2015
Amazing show, never gets old
½ August 9, 2015
A very sharp,fun and simple rock comedy.
July 13, 2015
Great and fun film from my childhood. Still holds up!
July 3, 2015
They caught the mood, and the way it was perfect. And great song!!
½ June 27, 2015
That Thing That You Do!: An infectiously fun, entertaining comedy about the rise of a 60s pop band, the One-Ders (heh heh), and how its bandmembers lives change overnight when they score one big hit. Solid acting, interesting characters and a standout soundtrack make Tom Hanks' directorial debut a winner. A
June 26, 2015
this movie makes me a drummer
½ June 9, 2015
Sweet, charming comedy about a band on their way to success facing the reality of music business where the love for music fades more and more into the background, giving way to commercialism and the individual interests of the band members.
June 2, 2015
Just watched this again a few days ago for like the hundredth time, so good and it has one of the best songs.
½ May 13, 2015