That Thing You Do! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That Thing You Do! Reviews

November 21, 2015
While the story is thoroughly predictable, the characters and plot are admirably understated. You understand the characters' motives without stating the obvious, and the conflicts are realistic and never overblown. It is also a fun parody of boy-band mania from the '60s with wonderful production design.
August 20, 2015
Tom Hanks taking a shot on the director's chair at his directorial debut matches his natural acting talents made this a fun entertainment with catchy, foot-tapping tunes throughout. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
August 17, 2015
i really love this movie
½ August 12, 2015
Amazing show, never gets old
½ August 9, 2015
A very sharp,fun and simple rock comedy.
July 13, 2015
Great and fun film from my childhood. Still holds up!
July 3, 2015
They caught the mood, and the way it was perfect. And great song!!
½ June 27, 2015
That Thing That You Do!: An infectiously fun, entertaining comedy about the rise of a 60s pop band, the One-Ders (heh heh), and how its bandmembers lives change overnight when they score one big hit. Solid acting, interesting characters and a standout soundtrack make Tom Hanks' directorial debut a winner. A
June 26, 2015
this movie makes me a drummer
½ June 9, 2015
Sweet, charming comedy about a band on their way to success facing the reality of music business where the love for music fades more and more into the background, giving way to commercialism and the individual interests of the band members.
June 2, 2015
Just watched this again a few days ago for like the hundredth time, so good and it has one of the best songs.
½ May 13, 2015
Charming and entertaining
½ May 7, 2015
It's charming, likable, and fun to watch. Tom Hanks's directorial debut is a rather enjoyable one to say the least. The story is so honest that it's absolutely captivating and the songs add the right amount of zest to keep you hooked to your seat till the end.
May 2, 2015
Light and breezy harmless little salad before your main course of a movie.
April 20, 2015
If you are looking to get a great, catchy song stuck in your head for (literally) months, THIS is the movie to watch.
½ April 18, 2015
the only good thing about this movie is the theme song
½ March 15, 2015
Great directing debut by Tom Hanks

this is a fun perfect film. and is a complete joy to watch
February 8, 2015
I love this movie. I'll watch it whenever it's on.
January 29, 2015
Tom Hanks writes and directs a fun, if not entirely weight, comedy-drama with some very catchy tunes. Full review later.
½ January 26, 2015
This was definitely a nice little feel-good band biopic. Tom Hanks was great in it, as was Liv Tyler and Tom Everett Scott. It took me a little while to warm up to it since I've gotten used to more hard-hitting and intensely exploratory films, but after getting over that expectation and standard, I finally got into it and really enjoyed it. That being said, this film is not for the jaded.
Hanks did a great job at making it what it is and not trying to be too serious or significant about it. The closing "where are they now?" credits was a nice touch after learning how they climbed to the top.