That Thing You Do! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That Thing You Do! Reviews

October 25, 2014
it took several years for me to know that this is only a fiction movie .. hahaha..
½ September 15, 2014
A ride through the music-making machine with a wholesome, mid-sixties one-hit-wonder. For years I thought I'd hate it, based on trailers and tone alone, but was pleasantly surprised. The film's got some issues, no doubt - especially the horribly tacked-on, telegraphed romantic ending - but it's got a lot of soul and I actually started to like the little tribe of stereotypes as we spent more time together. The theme song is appropriately catchy, too, without being grating like a lot of the era's pop records. Which is important, because it plays no less than once every ten minutes. There's good stuff here, with a nice leading performance from (who?) Tom Everett Scott as the band's hip, friendly drummer, but it's also clearly a learning project for writer / director / supporting actor Tom Hanks. Could've been much better with a bit of a trim and a wilder fire burning behind the lens.
September 5, 2014
Very good story... Reminds me why DO need to live now, not tomorrow!
August 7, 2014
Love, love, LOVE! This film was part of my childhood and has stuck with me ever since. Also, that song is just catchy as heck!
½ July 22, 2014
a really, fun, cute movie - totally what you'd expect of writer/director TOM HANKS LOL
July 10, 2014
One of my all time favorite movies.
June 27, 2014
The story is very well told, the characters are all quite relatable, and the songs are so catchy and amazing that I can't stop listening to them. Tom Hanks has really outdone himself and made one the greatest movies I have ever watched!
June 24, 2014
Great movie! This was set back in the olden days. Tom Hanks is handsome and charming as usual. He is great in this movie.
June 10, 2014
One of my favorites!
April 26, 2014
I first watched "That Thing You Do" as a VHS rental about 15 years ago. After watching it again, I have to say this is an all-around excellent movie. A fun movie to watch, perfectly encapsulating the rise and fall of the popular music industry in the sixties, and a great soundtrack!
April 13, 2014
A funny, light-hearted, and charming comedy.
February 16, 2014
Really liked this movie. It was a delight to watch Tom Hanks but also Charlize Theron and Liv Tyler early on their career. A totally refreshing comedy!
February 12, 2014
That Thing You Do is at the top of my favorite movies list. Maybe it's for nostalgic reasons... but I've seen it over 50 times, and every time I watch it I find something new to laugh at - (a funny extra in the background, a mumbled line by Steve Zahn) - it brings me so much joy and I never get tired of the music.
January 16, 2014
Tom Hanks is a genius for this film. Awesome original songs, great acting. Must see!
½ January 6, 2014
Damn, that title song is catchy!
December 20, 2013
I cant believe this film is the highest rated film on here that I absolutely adore! When this first came out a friend of mine and I saw it at the cinema 7 times. Bought the tape and listened to it constantly, when it came out on dvd we rented it and screamed like they did in the film. I love Tom Everett Scott. Hilarious and moving, with an amazing soundtrack. seen it hundreds of times. Love this film so much- so many fond memories !
December 20, 2013
It is a great film that shows that Tom hanks can direct. It also shows us what happens in groups and why they end up breaking up
½ November 27, 2013
Silly, fun, and way too dang catchy.
October 19, 2013
Tom gives another outstanding direction to a great movie. The style and music are very complimentary of the sixties and the costuming is superb, watch carefully and steal those styles as they are back. Acting and script is strong and full giving a good sounding eye into the band. Motorcars and other accoutrement give a fun reminisce. Nibbles: Turkey sub with bacon crisp.
October 8, 2013
One of my all time favorite feel good movies.