That Thing You Do! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That Thing You Do! Reviews

½ January 14, 2015
Great acting and great music; I will never get tired of this movie!
½ December 21, 2014
Un film neutre. Rien de vraiment negatif ou positif a dire... Sinon je ce n'est qu'une petite histoire semi-banale avec de la bonne musique. Sans plus.
December 12, 2014
I have seen this movie multiple times now and it never gets old. This is just a classic story of a 1960's band, sort of like the Beatles, who create a hit song and ride it into stardom. It was a great accomplishment that for the movie they were able to create one of the catchiest tunes ever along with enough other songs to release an album after the movie came out. The song "That Thing You Do" is amazing and it had to be good because you hear it about 20 times throughout the course of the movie. Its fun to see the teens lives change as they gain notoriety and heartbreaking at the same time. Some things toward the end seemed rushed to conclusion but the rest is golden. This fun, music filled movie is great and most people should enjoy it.
December 6, 2014
i want to see this movie
November 12, 2014
Finger-snapping, head-bopping fun! Tom Everett Scott is effortlessly cool with his ugly-sexy mug, and Liv Tyler is luminous and effervescent. Steve Zahn looks suave and uncharacteristically the most grown up of the bunch. The O-nedders. Hyuk.
October 26, 2014
liked how they rode that one hit for the whole movie (not some musical variety hour)
October 25, 2014
it took several years for me to know that this is only a fiction movie .. hahaha..
½ September 15, 2014
A ride through the music-making machine with a wholesome, mid-sixties one-hit-wonder. For years I thought I'd hate it, based on trailers and tone alone, but was pleasantly surprised. The film's got some issues, no doubt - especially the horribly tacked-on, telegraphed romantic ending - but it's got a lot of soul and I actually started to like the little tribe of stereotypes as we spent more time together. The theme song is appropriately catchy, too, without being grating like a lot of the era's pop records. Which is important, because it plays no less than once every ten minutes. There's good stuff here, with a nice leading performance from (who?) Tom Everett Scott as the band's hip, friendly drummer, but it's also clearly a learning project for writer / director / supporting actor Tom Hanks. Could've been much better with a bit of a trim and a wilder fire burning behind the lens.
September 5, 2014
Very good story... Reminds me why DO need to live now, not tomorrow!
August 7, 2014
Love, love, LOVE! This film was part of my childhood and has stuck with me ever since. Also, that song is just catchy as heck!
½ July 22, 2014
a really, fun, cute movie - totally what you'd expect of writer/director TOM HANKS LOL
July 10, 2014
One of my all time favorite movies.
June 27, 2014
The story is very well told, the characters are all quite relatable, and the songs are so catchy and amazing that I can't stop listening to them. Tom Hanks has really outdone himself and made one the greatest movies I have ever watched!
June 24, 2014
Great movie! This was set back in the olden days. Tom Hanks is handsome and charming as usual. He is great in this movie.
June 10, 2014
One of my favorites!
April 26, 2014
I first watched "That Thing You Do" as a VHS rental about 15 years ago. After watching it again, I have to say this is an all-around excellent movie. A fun movie to watch, perfectly encapsulating the rise and fall of the popular music industry in the sixties, and a great soundtrack!
April 13, 2014
A funny, light-hearted, and charming comedy.
February 16, 2014
Really liked this movie. It was a delight to watch Tom Hanks but also Charlize Theron and Liv Tyler early on their career. A totally refreshing comedy!
February 12, 2014
That Thing You Do is at the top of my favorite movies list. Maybe it's for nostalgic reasons... but I've seen it over 50 times, and every time I watch it I find something new to laugh at - (a funny extra in the background, a mumbled line by Steve Zahn) - it brings me so much joy and I never get tired of the music.
January 16, 2014
Tom Hanks is a genius for this film. Awesome original songs, great acting. Must see!