That Touch of Mink Reviews

• Oct 27, 2018

Cary Grant is fabulous as Philip Shayne and Doris Day is lovely as Cathy Timberlake. Only movie they were paired in and the chemistry works a treat. So what if the concept is a little dated, it's a thoroughly good watch with some chuckles along the way.

• Sep 09, 2016

I remember the NYC foot automat scene. Saw it in theater when it came out, at the Meralta. Had a crush on her for years.

• Jul 28, 2016

That Touch of Mink was horribly sexist and demeaning of women. I turned it off when the men bragged about controlling their wives. One man told Cary Grant that he liked to "belt" his wife when she wouldn't sleep with him. Cary Grant agreed! I despise this movie with a passion.

• Mar 05, 2016

Some men have no sense of moral obligation. A very successful businessman crosses paths with an aspiring young girl in the big city trying to find her way. He wants to use their chance encounter to get in her pants, while she wants to save her virginity for marriage. She loves the charming businessman, but he may not want to marry her to accomplish his task. A crazy whirlwind of events circle them until they fall in love. "For every unwed mother there's an unwed father." "I never thought of it that way." Delbert Mann, director of Lover Come Back, Separate Tables, Marty, Home to Stay, Night Crossing, Heidi, Dear Heart, All Quiet on the Western Front, and Tell Me My Name, delivers Touch of Mink. The storyline for this is fairly straightforward with some funny and well written characters. The acting is excellent and the cast includes Cary Grant, Doris Day, Audrey Meadows, John Astin, Dick Sargent, and Gig Young. "I'm not even important enough to be a tax loss!" I came across this on Turner Classic movies (TCM) not too long ago and had to DVR it. I am a huge Cary Grant fan and was excited to see this film of his. Unfortunately, this was a bit cliché and just okay. Both Grant and Day are excellent in this film, but the plot is too straightforward to make this a classic. I recommend seeing this once but I wouldn't add it to my collection. "Does a snake know he's a snake? He crawls on his stomach and thinks he's a king." Grade: B-

• Feb 29, 2016

My feminist feelings were lacerated by this silly movie.

My feminist feelings were lacerated by this silly movie.

• Dec 20, 2015

A lighthearted romantic comedy.

A lighthearted romantic comedy.

• Dec 16, 2015

A millionaire and a prude go to Bermuda three times in an effort to "get it on," but they both break out in hives. Eventually they get up the courage up to see each other naked and they make a baby.

• Nov 02, 2015

Doris is lovely in this film, but poor Cary is too doddery. The worst thing about it is that it's far too long. They really stretch out the situation until the viewer totally doesn't care what happens.

• Aug 09, 2015

Funny, classic! Great Sunday afternoon watch. Cary Grant - what's not to love?!

Funny, classic! Great Sunday afternoon watch. Cary Grant - what's not to love?!

• May 09, 2015

Not one of my favorite Doris Day films. I liked Pillow Talk better. But this was okay. I really liked the scenes between her and Audrey Meadows better than between her and Cary Grant. Especially the "automat" scenes -- what a fun concept!