That'll Be the Day - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That'll Be the Day Reviews

August 9, 2007
How have I never heard of this!
½ August 1, 2007
A lovely, understated and very British teenager film which carries a few shared memories...
½ July 8, 2007
i liked this flick! who would've thought that Ringo Starr had the acting gene!
½ July 7, 2007
Very similar to Quadrophenia (which I coincidentally saw right before this), but with a not quite so angry a tone. David Essex (of "Rock On" fame) plays Jimmy, a rather lost young man who has a dream of being a rock star in late 1950's Britain. He drops out of school to realize his dream, but finds out it's not nearly as simple as he anticipated. Ringo Starr -- yes, THAT Ringo -- has a nice role as Mike, Jimmy's carnival worker friend. He has a funny scene regarding a tattoo in a rather private place. Essex does a pretty good job in this film, although you don't find yourself really rooting for his success because he does a few things that make you want to punch him. The soundtrack is outstanding -- every great 50's hit you ever heard on those Time-Life CD commercials is here. Plus you get a taste of Keith Moon's drumwork. He plays the drummer -- yeah, I know, quite a stretch -- in a band called Stormy Tempest, who's lead singer is early Brit rocker Billy Fury. All in all, worth a nostalgic look. I'm told there's a sequel, called Stardust.
July 5, 2007
not really interested
June 6, 2007
Nice slice of nostalgia.David Essex is good as Jim MacLaine,& Ringo Starr excellent as his friend.I prefer the sequel "Stardust"-which details Essex's character's eventual sex,drugs & rock n' roll rise & fall,but it was'nt on here when I looked!
May 23, 2007
Havnet seen it, but RINGO RULES!!
½ March 23, 2007
david looking gorgeous as usual think he`s even better now.classic don`t forget ringo!
February 23, 2007
Great movie, shows late 50s Liverpool scene, as Ringo lived it.
January 14, 2007
love ringo starr - even when the movie isn't all that
December 12, 2006
I wonder what this is about, i think ill see it!
November 25, 2006
Solid British film, based on the early life of John Lennon, has a terrific cast with excellent performances from everyone, especially David Essex and Ringo Starr. Great score of 1950's hits, fast moving, well directed.
October 11, 2006
GOOD MOVIE,
NOT AS GOOD AS THE SEQUEL STARDUST THOUGH
September 7, 2006
even tho i hate david essexs music both this and stardust the follow up i enjoyed actually what follow i.e stardust was better film 4 stars for that
½ June 21, 2006
One big ugh for man kind.