That's the Way I Like It - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

That's the Way I Like It Reviews

February 11, 2016
A Singaporean re-imagining of Saturday Night Fever, with a little Bruce Lee & "Play it Again, Sam" thrown in for good measure.
December 10, 2012
A movie that struck a chord with many, especially those of us growing up in South East Asia.
Hilariously scripted and brilliantly excuted.
Check this moviw out, folks..a timeless dramedy.
FULL STARS
March 29, 2012
Thats the way i like it
March 10, 2012
really enjoyed the whole movie.
August 7, 2010
Extremely enjoyble if featherweight film basically transposing Woody Alllen's "Play It Again Sam" to the disco era and using Tony Manero as our hero's spiritual guide. Adrian Pang makes a great comic hero. Worth a look for fans of disco, Bruce Lee, and unconventional foreign movies.
September 2, 2009
I LOVEEE this film! Simple story, but the characters are unforgetable. Funny with a big heart.
July 30, 2009
Just ordered this on Amazon and looking forward to seeing it again.
½ July 9, 2009
i want to watch this movie again, but unfortunately i don't know where to find this, anyone of you know??????
½ June 23, 2009
A rather predictable plot but still some endearing characters. I was surprised that the movie is 99% in English with just a few Chinese terms now and then, though I'm glad the subtitles were still there because it's not very good English :). Overall a cute romantic comedy that is entertaining for it's look back at the 70s disco scene in Singapore.
½ September 12, 2008
this movie always brings a smile to my face, i don't know why. this forumula's been overplayed, but it is pulled off nicely. the audio quality, though not "superior," works with the often muted colors, and when the colors become vibrant, the audio explodes. very subtle, i think, in how it gets the job done. slowly becoming a fan.
½ July 28, 2008
I like the actress a lot, I find the story and everything solid but still with soul but the problem is that it so lacking in charm at times, the characters especially and always stops short a lot of times which is such a pity.
½ July 5, 2008
½ April 18, 2008
Great movie! So-o-o funny and groovy. I think thematically, it bit off too much than it could handle.
April 17, 2008
I've owned this movie since 2002 and never once actually watched it. I think I was worried it couldn't live up to the trailer I had seen. The trailer shows a guy watching Bruce Lee and doing all of bruce lee's kung fu then sleeping in a theater, waking up to see Saturday Night Fever on the screen and then a montage of him dancing dressed in full disco gear. It was amazing. This movie... while not living up to my 6 years of hype was still pretty decent. I think the biggest problem is that it didn't know if it wanted to be serious or not. The concept is funny but then mid-way in the film the main character's brother *SPOILER*
announces he wants a sex change and is disowned by his family
*SPOILER OVER*
... and that was kind of out of place with the rest of the film...but at the same time I could relate to it. The character also talks to a John Travolta character who walks off the screen so it definately has a Play it Again, Sam thing going for it... however Play it again sam is one of the top 50 greatest comedies ever made and this is not
April 14, 2008
This film has lots of charm.
The characters are simple, the plot has holes all over the place, especially concerning his younger brothers conviction of wanting to be a woman. This film of course is a time peace and it is very interesting on how the movie 'Saturday Night Fever' change pop culture in Singapore. I enjoyed this film for what it was, cute, innocent, and simple.
½ March 19, 2008
this movie rocked. Disco por vida!!
December 27, 2007
This movie was dubbed comedy/drama. It fit the bill, there were some tears, but mostly it was just hilarious! I loved it.
½ December 27, 2007
If you like bad disco karaoke, this is the movie for you!
A PG-13 Saturday Night Fever ripoff with a Singapore flair.
Hock, a big Bruce Lee fan, is forced to sit through the latest movie- "Fever" and is inspired. He decides to enter a dance contest to raise money for a new motorbike, even though he can't dance. He gets encouragement from his friend Mei and from the Tony Manero character who talks to him from the movie playing in the theater. Yes, that's right, a bad John Travolta impersonator comes out of the screen to give him advice! Then add to that karaoke-sounding Bee Gees covers! Tight pants! Mix in a bit of squabbling family and troubled brother and then add the two women. Sprinkle with cheesy dialogue and finish it off with a nice pink fairy tale bow! Put in oven and burn to a crisp.
December 18, 2007
Yea, it's a silly parody of Saturday Night Fever set in 1970s Singapore, but it's just so darn sweet!
December 2, 2007
everyone looks like they're having a great time. what a great cast! love hearing the singlish too!