The 39 Steps - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The 39 Steps Reviews

October 1, 2016
This is the second version of the classic novel to be adapted for the screen, this time by Ralph Thomas. Kenneth More is on the run in Scotland, with just 48 hours to save Britain from an international plot. But first he must evade his pursuers and prove he's no traitor.

Whilst More's performance is good, the movie suffers from the original by a lack of tension. There is tension in the movie, but not as much as the Alfred Hitchcock version, and this is where the movie is let down. One more theatrical version would be made 19 years later.

This one is still watchable though and perhaps this version or the other version in 1978 because both of those were made in technicolour whereas Alfred Hitchcock's was done in black-and-white. If you are against black-and-movies, then perhaps this version is for you.
August 13, 2016
A remake of Hitchcock's classic, it offered the same material as the original film, though the original was better, the remake was able to stand on its own.
February 27, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
April 3, 2014
I enjoyed this movie as I did the earlier Hitchcock version, however both took incredible liberties in regards to the Buchan book they claim to adapt. I remember picking up the Buchan book in university expecting to read an adventure novel along the lines of these two movies and was disappointed to discover that the book bore hardly any resemblance to the movies whatsoever. Perhaps the most faithful adaptation is the 1978 version starring Robert Powell. No matter, Kenneth More makes a very appealing Richard Hannay and is a much better actor than 1935's Donat and the color is well used to highlight some beautiful Scottish scenery.
April 3, 2014
January 22, 2013
Besides dazzling camera-tactics ,101% extra-pure enjoyment
½ June 29, 2012
OK remake of the Hitchcock classic lacks spark.
½ June 17, 2012
The play was better...I'm betting the Hitchcock version is better still...
December 29, 2011
Quite an entertaining movie with typical English humour
September 27, 2011
I've seen the original Hitchcock.
½ August 20, 2011
A suspenseful and entertaining British espionage flick with beautiful scenery of the Scottish countryside and the beautiful Taina Elg.
June 18, 2011
Almost a scene-by-scene remake of Hitchcock's 1935 original, again a contemporary version, this time the secret plans are for a ballistic missile. In some ways its better than the original, colour cinema, no more hammy acting, and real location shots add something but somehow the plot isn't revealed quite so clearly, perhaps too many location shots make the plot exposition scenes more rushed?
April 21, 2011
If, like me, you enjoy British films of the fifties, this may be a pleasant surprise. It was released in the same year as Hitchcock's masterpiece - North by Northwest - and let's be honest although Kenneth More is a proper British gent he doesn't really compare with the peerless Cary Grant. The plot itself has much in common with the big budget Hitchcock movie and is basically a long chase film with our hero being pursued by the police and a gang of international spies. There is much fun to be had spotting the host of character actors in the cast including Sid James - King of the Carry On films. The colour photography is lush and quite rare for a British film of the period. It looks as though most of the work was on location and the film takes us from London to the Scottish highlands. Good for a wet Sunday afternoon.
½ January 25, 2011
Intelligent and full of genuine dialogue. Did have a tendency to move a bit slow at times.
½ January 25, 2011
½ October 28, 2010
An interesting film.
September 18, 2010
Besides dazzling camera-tactics ,101% extra-pure enjoyment
½ September 5, 2010
Another version of a classic story and well done for it's time
½ July 4, 2010
Lots of running, hiding/trying to blend in... The main character knows nothing about 39 steps until the end (neither does the viewer).
Not my fav Hitchcock's movie but I've seen it more than once.
June 29, 2010
Sadly this film feels almost comcaly dated. With its Chumly Warner accents and delivery. But taken in its period context this is a well paced, action packed movie that is flawed by todays standards but must have been a real crwod pleasing thriller at the time