Reviews

• Sep 20, 2021

The movie focuses with the 9th battalion group during the time of the early 1990's as they are being trained and prepared to go to war in Afghanistan.

• Sep 27, 2020

Like many American war movies, i.e. Heartbreak Ridge and Full Metal Jacket, where raw recruits spend the first half of the movie training and the second half battling the enemy. Friendships are forged, buddies are killed, ethics are tested. The battle scenes are impressive, from the company level to larger set pieces. This is on par with many Hollywood bigger budget war movies, and surprisingly nothing unique from the Russian perspective. Just different enemies.

• Apr 01, 2019

Great movie that show how elite russian troops act in battle.

Great movie that show how elite russian troops act in battle.

• Jul 21, 2017

A really truthful story of war which is much better than those american "we-bring-democracy-by-bombing-countries-which-have-oil' movies. This film shows the real horror of war actions and you won't regret watching it!

• Feb 17, 2017

Excelent non English movie....Great acting, a very good story, great image....Probably if you enjoy Transformers this is not the type of movie you will enjoy. In my opinion is like Jarhed multiplied by 10 aded with 60% Saving private Ryan.

• Sep 29, 2014

This is maybe the best Russian made war drama in years. It is more like Full Metal Jacket in Russia with these young Russian soldiers and their struggles, through its beginnings until the battlefield in Afghanistan. Though it's more long and deep, the execution and the pacing is well written. Superb cinematography and an amazing cast gives this film a lot of credit. A must watch at least for "war movie" aficionados.

• Sep 08, 2014

Over dramatized which lost effectiveness.

Over dramatized which lost effectiveness.

• Jun 07, 2014

The Russian 'Platoon' and 'Full Metal Jacket' just like those films a character driven story about the brutalities of War, in this case Afghanistan Excellent battle scenes which show tragedy and courage in equal measure Saturday night film around midnight with a glass of your favourite tipple

• Apr 28, 2014

Good war film out of Russia. You could do a whole lot with a big ticket item like the Soviet military action in Afghanistan in the 1980s. You could have made many a socio-political point (perhaps along the lines of Charlie Wilson's War). But, I'm not going to fault the film for not being overly political (like some critics did with We were Soldiers...).

• Apr 20, 2014

The 9th Company is like a Russian version of Full Metal Jacket, with it's plot revolving around the Soviet War in Afghanistan. However, The 9th Company lacks everything that made Full Metal Jacket good. Now, I haven't seen many Russian films, but the acting in this one isn't great, and while it is tragic in some parts, most of the movie is pretty slow. The effects aren't great either, since most of the movie looks pretty cheap. However, The 9th Company is still much better than the generic Hollywood war movie, so I would still recommend this.