The Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Baby Reviews

November 19, 2016
The baby is delightfully tacky. I'd say it comes off like John waters and rob zombie made a movie together. My first impression is that this movie was clever fetish exploitation. It's a fun watch and worth multiple viewings.
½ October 29, 2016
Sick film and it seems more and more real in the present society lol.....
October 29, 2016
very creepy cult fave it's a treat 2c ruth roman (strangers on a train) go all evil like bette davis in 'hush hush sweet charlotte'
June 4, 2016
The Baby dips its' toes in many waters without really getting wet: part exploitation, part thriller, part social commentary, it resists classification even after 40+ years has passed where almost everything has found its way into one genre or another. If anyone even thought of releasing a movie like this today, it would be a goof and not treated with the same earnestness or lack of irony. Due to the absence of gratuitous sex and violence, The Baby never veers into typical grindhouse territory. However the explicit themes depicted in such a straightforward manner certainly place the "disturbing" tag on the film. However disturbing doesn't even begin to describe what goes on in The Baby. When I found myself in the end sympathizing more with a family that commits incest and abuse than with the social worker protagonist, I knew I had fallen deep down the rabbit hole.
April 17, 2016
Twisted thriller from 1973
½ July 13, 2015
In the list of the top 5 most disturbing movies I've ever seen. What the holy hell.
February 1, 2015
He's a pretty special baby.

A social worker who recently lost her husband requests a special case, the Wadsworth Family. The Wadsworth Family consists of a mother and her two daughters raising a full grown man as a baby. The baby's name is, Baby. The social worker believes the baby can grow and evolve but the family is unusually reluctant to let her test her theories. It is obvious the family is possessive and slightly crazy, but how far will that crazy extend and will the social worker's life be at risk?

"What's his real name?"
"Just baby."

Ted Post, director of Good Guys Wear Black, Magnum Force, Beneath the Planet of the Apes, Peyton Place, Stagecoach, and Gunsmoke, delivers The Baby. The storyline for this picture is very unique and well done. I found the content uniquely done and a nice delivery of an original plot, a little like Spider Baby. The acting was also better than I anticipated and the cast includes Anjanette Comer, Ruth Roman, Mariana Hill, and Michael Pataki.

"He's your brother, not an animal."

I found this on Netflix and thought it would be an interesting 1970s grindhouse thriller...I was 100% right. I thought this film was very clever and original. It was weird and eerie but also unique. This is a must see for fans of the horror classics and/or cult films.

"Wifey loves her big baby."

Grade: B+
January 24, 2015
Maybe the title sounds fool but it's a creepy film.
January 11, 2015
A very twisted plot, but a well done film. It's sick, but that's what makes it so good!
½ August 29, 2014
Props for taking me out of my comfort zone!
July 13, 2014
Pointless, predictable, and yet I enjoyed it. So sleazy, I felt like I needed a shower when it was over, or, at least, some baby wipes.
April 25, 2014
Old-timer Ruth Roman chews up the scenery in this otherwise sordid thriller.
April 19, 2014
The most disturbingly bizzare movie you'll ever see. I challenge anyone to watch it (if you dare) and not be speechless afterwards.
½ March 24, 2014
Monday, March 24, 2014

(1973) The Baby
PSYCHOLOGICAL DRAMA/ THRILLER

Before the internet also became a valuable source to look up rare films, one of my all time favorite magazines to look up hard-to-find Asian movies is a magazine called "Asian Trash Cinema", and they would showcase 'trashy' movies- "trashy movies" as in comedy action, gore and violence with second rate acting. Much of it's attention is usually centered on shocking and surprising it's audience, since it's not a reflection of what happens on real life, but the possibility about what can happen. Anyways, this movie is the perfect example of what 'trashy American cinema' might've looked like, since it's intention is to surprise and shock it's viewers made with a low string budget. The movie has to be looked at for it's 'idea' than for it's acting, which the movie's message overshadows the amount of money put into it. "The Baby" as the movie is referring to, is really a 21 year old, blonde-haired young man who acts like a baby, who lives with his two adult sisters Germaine (Marianna Hill) and Alba (Susanne Zenor) Wadsworth and a mother, Mrs. Wadsworth (Ruth Roman). When this particular family, get investigated by a social worker, Ann (Anjanette Comer) who has just lost her husband, the movie then asks, 'Is this grown up a baby by choice' or 'Was he brought up that way'. There's a little twist at the end, which some viewers may have figured out before the movie is over. And although, the movie kept me interested until the very end, it still left me with more questions than the movie was willing to give me any answers.

2 stars out of 4
March 23, 2014
The Baby was made in 1973. You show it as 2012......other than that, the movie is frighteningly real as in cases in the news lately of such abuse and cruelty.
½ March 20, 2014
Just plain freakish! (First and only viewing - 3/20/2014)
March 16, 2014
More creepy than what I concider a Horror Film.David Manzy,the Actor they chose to play the Mentally Impaired Teenage Boy encouraged to be an Infant,looks to me like a 40 year old Man.I have a feeling this film may be responsible for the underground fetish of adults who wear diapers and want the full baby treatment.Sickening. I wish I could wash this film from my brain
½ March 12, 2014
A deeply disappointing, extremely weird film starring a handful of sub-par actresses and actors. The only notable performance to be found here was that of David Manzy as the Baby. By the end of the film, I totally believed that he was a grown man with the mental fortitude of a toddler. Nothing about his performance was telling of his true nature as an actor. He was sublime but his work was wasted on a lackluster film. I'd submit this as my entry to a 'B-Movie Night' party but otherwise I probably would not trouble with it again.
jjnxn
½ January 27, 2014
What was that?! Dumb early 70's horror film that is only worth seeing for Ruth Roman's performance.
January 25, 2014
I was FASCINATED by this movie when it came out, then saw it on the TCM schedule for tonight and realized it was the same movie. So excited about seeing it again! The classic "so bad it's good" movie, and a guilty pleasure to be s-a-v-o-r-e-d.