The Beales of Grey Gardens - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Beales of Grey Gardens Reviews

½ December 4, 2016
Pretty much the same as the original Grey Gardens, just like a extended version. But, it somehow help building the entire picture around them, supplementing with additional information and a broader perspective. Every scene is a new dress and a new look, actually making Edie a icon of fashion.
½ May 17, 2014
Probably could have left it alone after the first one, but still interesting and worth the watch.
½ November 4, 2012
An extra look at the lives of two outrageous individuals, with footage worthy of being in the original piece, but superb as it is in clips.
June 19, 2012
I know crazy people are great for documentaries and I know documentaries are supposed to be objective, but this film just irritated me. With main characters that won't stop talking (even over each other's sentences), the banality of it all felt like a film by John Cassavetes mixed with a forced stay with those relatives you have that you're forced to visit, but in reality you need to put them in a mental institution.
November 26, 2011
extra footage from the first film, lots of goodies here, too.
½ June 13, 2011
It was okay, but it was pretty much just footage that they didn't use for Gray Gardens cobbled together. It served no real purpose.
½ October 20, 2010
More of the same from the grand tramps.
August 6, 2010
I LOVE these ladies. They are an inspiration.
February 1, 2010
Some of this footage does rival Grey Gardens, but not enough of it....plus it's just too uncomfortable and with no point or reason....but yet, some how, very watchable....
January 14, 2010
Quality for those whom the Beale's antics appeal to. Likely an unneeded repeat for anyone else. Not sure it is completely worthy of a Criterion release, though it is artistic, odd, and has some very good humor at parts. Far more genuine than the 2009 Hollywood remake of the original documentary.
January 10, 2010
Like one of those dreams where you find a secret room in your parents' house, this collection of extra footage from Grey Gardens is a magical surprise. There's more Jerry "the Marble Faun" and Lois, both mild eccentrics in their own right, and you'll find yourself green with envy that they have access to the Edies while you're on the outside looking in.

This movie actually underscores the brilliance of the original, however, as I think it tends toward the shrill. It's a valentine for fans only.
½ November 20, 2009
This documentary was less annoying and more insightful than Grey Gardens, however I found it very sad to watch the broken dreams and insanity brought about by isolation and being a carer for someone for such a long time. This film is exploitative as they have taken advantage of someone who at the very least has lost touch with reality. Having said that Little Eadie laps up the attention and is probably the happiest she has ever been in her life so it is a win win situation.
October 29, 2009
This movie contains more of the Maysles' footage of Big Edie and Little Edie in their rundown mansion. The movie might be a little better than the original documentary Grey Gardens in that the filmmakers involve themselves more in the lives of the Beales. It still is amazing to watch and question what Beales were thinking when they allowed filmmakers to film them in the wreck of a home.
September 28, 2009
Of course not as incredible as the original documentary, but any new footage of these ladies is appreciated. More insight into "The Marble Faun" and Little Edie's paranoia of outsiders. Her obvious crush on the Maysles was adorable.
lesleyanorton
½ September 25, 2009
Never been much of one for once-rich and privileged, now-poor and self- obsessed white folks endlessly rambling over past glories and flirting like school girls. i must have no heart.
August 19, 2009
I just love it, can't get enough! When Big Edie chastises Little Edie for using the $500 blanket from "Jackleen" to put out the fire; just classic!
½ August 8, 2009
First off, I picked this one up thinking it was the ORIGINAL "Grey Gardens". Only later did I find out this is actually a sequel made from unused footage from the original 1975 documentary. That said, this is still a fascinating glimpse into the quirky fascinating life of the Beales. I'll have to look for the original one.
½ July 20, 2009
Great follow up to the original
June 10, 2009
Thought it was ok. Want to see "Grey Gardens" though as I heard the original first documentary was very good.