The Believers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Believers Reviews

June 28, 2016
Although a thriller, and a disturbing one at that, this is also a meditation on how people who are searching or in need of something outside of their regular lives, can be easily sucked into dangerous ideology. It can be terrorism, racism, or anarchism; here, it is a religious cult. Robert Loggia and Martin Sheen are a Police Lieuetenant and a Psychotherapist, respectively, who investigate when an NYPD detective goes off the rails after finding the body of an eight year old boy on a sacrificial altar. The deeper they go, the more personal it gets, until Sheen's own eight year old son, played by Harley Cross, is caught up in the affair.
½ March 20, 2016
There's a lot of talent involved with this film, both on and behind the camera. John Schlesinger directs a screenplay by Mark Frost, with Martin Sheen, Robert Loggia, and a host of talented character actors. It's not immediately apparent why all this talent was put to the service of this film. As mainstream Hollywood horror goes, it's pretty good. It's moderately entertaining and moves at a pretty decent clip. It's a fairly muted and safe bit of horror though, and there's just little remarkable about it. It's difficult to see why anyone would be all that interested in making it, especially a man with Schlesinger's body of work.
February 1, 2016
Wow this was bad. Avoid it at all cost! I will never get the time I wasted back from watching this.
September 11, 2015
Oldie but goodie horror flick...I saw it many years ago and just watched it again, it is still memorable.Great cast and very frightening.
June 19, 2015
Cool old school Voodoo movie. Some wicked scenes.
½ April 26, 2015
I have a soft spot for this film and hadn't seen it in ages. I watched it several times when I was much younger, and it's one of the first films I recognized as being shot in Toronto because of City Hall. I like Martin Sheen in it. The bad guy in it still scares me, and is second only to the bad guy in "Poltergeist 2" for scary looking actors. If you like horror films, give it a try.
½ November 12, 2014
I liked it. I found Martin Sheen's acting to be a little over intense and the plot a little slow, but for a 114 min horror flick it was pretty affective.
½ November 6, 2014
Compelling but hokey and too unpleasant.
½ September 19, 2014
I found this movie to be so racist and illogical. There's a series of animal and then human sacrifices in NYC, which through a series of mind-bogglingly ridiculous events leads the protagonist to the center of a fanatic religious sacrificial ritual. The ending was stupid, Cal's treatment of his housekeeper/babysitter was ignorant, and the fascination with "ancient african sacrificial rituals" was disgusting. This movie definitely gave off a stench of the times.
½ September 8, 2014
An old school chiller.
June 17, 2014
É pena que John Schlesinger pegue no thriller macabro seguindo um dos seus piores exemplos - "Exorcist II - The Heretic" - e repetindo todo o chavascal desse. Isto porque havia uma boa história de crença colocada à prova para contar em "The Believers". Mas nunca este argumento em decomposição (literal) encontra o ângulo certo para nos convencer e "The Believers" cedo se entrega a um carnaval de bruxarias que já não assusta ninguém em 2014.
½ July 8, 2013
A creepy and unsettling 80's occult horror winner--Well done thriller!!
February 26, 2013
I think the movie info is wrong here:

The true story of how two former child actors and a pair of struggling musicians got hired to appear on a TV series -- and became one of the biggest rock groups of the 1960s in the process -- is recounted in this made-for-cable feature. When a TV producer got the idea of taking the premise of A Hard Day's Night and turning it into a situation comedy, he hired Mickey Dolenz (Aaron Lohr), Davy Jones (George Stanchev), Mike Nesmith (Jeff Geddis), and Peter Tork (L.B. Fisher) to play th
February 17, 2013
Wrong release year listed here.
½ January 29, 2013
This page is a bit confused as to what movie it's referring to... the one I saw was a John Schlesinger horror pic from the 80's starring Martin Sheen... and had nothing to do w/ the Monkees!
½ October 2, 2012
What starts out like a family drama soon enters serial thriller territory and finally ends up being a supernatural horror film. The greatest trick this film pulls is that those aspects flow into each other really well and make for a very entertaining, sometimes disturbing and ultimately exciting film. That's also thanks to the acting, particularly Sheen makes for a convincing police psychologist and father, whose son is threatened by an voodoo cult. Even though the film is clearly a child of its time (the 80s), the shocks and twists still work and the wonderfully unpleasant final punchline stays with you for quite a while. Very good!
July 26, 2012
This movie about voodoo worship amongst Manhattan elites may look good, but it just not as tense or scary as the film thinks it is.
June 2, 2012
I remember liking this movie a lot more back in the day than I did upon this most recent viewing. Sheen is solid in the lead, but brings nothing a dozen other actors could have also done. There are definitely some memorable scenes (the electrical shock at the start, the spider eggs in the face, etcâ¦) and some good audience manipulation by director Schlesinger, but overall the film was a lot more silly than I remember.
May 18, 2012
That first scene is frightening!
½ March 1, 2012
Malick Bowens who plays the hougan in this movie has an oustanding performance: memorable, yes...