The Believers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Believers Reviews

½ January 29, 2012
Exceptionally well-made, deadly serious horror film. Martin Sheen delivers an honest and genuine performance. The facial blemish scene is scary as hell.
December 10, 2011
Weird but not that bad
½ August 3, 2010
This movie is about black magic, sacrifices and curses, with decent actors and a coherent storyline minus a few absurd glitches. It's somewhat interesting despite the fact that the "horror" factor is rather bleak. It's more like a thriller, but then, tension does not really build up... at all. It's too slow and too long, and while trying to add depth to the characters, it gets lost in unnecessary detailed subplots.
½ July 21, 2010
Eerie and creepy thriller..average performances and direction !!
July 4, 2010
I want to see this movie cause it does expose what is really going in the Cahtolic Church with the evil rituals that are done in the big cult.
½ May 15, 2010
Ok film revolving around a psycho cult that wants to sacrifice children. Martin Sheen does a good job alongside with Robert Loggia . the story i found to be interesting but in the long run dull.
May 15, 2010
After the freak accidental death of his wife, cop psychiatrist Martin Sheen and his young son Harley Cross move to the big city of New York to start over. A routine session with newly-crazed cop Jimmy Smits reveals to Sheen an underground world of voodoo cults and killings that are linked throughout the city, involving child sacrifice, rich socialites, and even the endangerment of his own family. The film also stars sexy Helen Shaver as Sheen's landlord and frequent shower of nudity (and boy does she look good), Robert Loggia as a head detective working with Sheen, and Harris Yulin as a corporate head honcho who knows a lot more about the voodoo murders than he's letting on. The Believers is a fantastic thriller, with some great (for it's time) twists and turns, not to mention some fun special effects. Despite it being part of the 80's horror film boom, The Believers plays it very straight and as a result, is nowhere near as dated as its peers. Hell, it looks a whole lot better than a lot of 90's or 2000's films. A great cast mixed with a great story and even better direction from the late John Schlesinger (Midnight Cowboy) makes this one of the classic thrillers. It's no surprise that most voodoo films aren't exactly the best, but the Believers it top notch...I promise. Great watch.
April 17, 2010
superb little thriller which sees Martin Sheen take on a child-sacrifice cult. So many completely bonkers scenes and genuinely entertaining. You have to see this film - be warned though, it may put you off ever using an electric coffee maker again.
½ January 15, 2010
The beginning is so bizzar when she gets Fried by her coffee pot in front of her husband omg .. It stayed with me for a few days..
September 12, 2009
Add a review (optional)...
July 19, 2009
Your standard xenophobia thriller
½ April 13, 2009
Boring for a thriller.
½ March 26, 2009
Skrämde iaf skiten ur mig när jag var 10 har inte sett den sen dess dock tyvärr..
March 25, 2009
Weird but not that bad
March 12, 2009
Honestly, I don't remember much of anything about this movie, but one scene ... when the mother gets electrocuted while making coffee ... I think about it every time I make coffee, so, needless to say, I think about it just about every single day.
January 13, 2009
Not bad for an 80's horror flick. Of course, there was some stupid 80's acting and scenarios, but come on, it's the 80's! You kind of have to go into these movies expecting some stupidity.
December 8, 2008
no thanks not my thing
November 27, 2008
Probably one of the stupidest movies I've seen. Martin Sheen came off like an idiot, he was kind of acting like how his son acts in Two and a half men really. 5.5/10
October 9, 2008
Pretty solid and entertaining movie about a cop investigating the murders of some kids and the cult that may be involved.

It drags in parts but you don't notice it much, the cast is great and it's got some nice set pieces (including a spiders coming out of a woman's face scene).