The Believers Reviews

• Aug 01, 2020

The Believers starts out making you think that it is going to be a very average and predictable experience. However, the film has some interesting plot twists and some really intense scenes! The facial rash scene will make your skin crawl! (No pun intended.) The Believers was perfectly cast, Sheen, Loggia, Smits, Masur, Bowens, Shaver and Yulin are all absolutely great in this one! Martin Sheen in particular gives an excellent performance making his character very believable and most worthy of your rooting for him! Perhaps one of Sheen's best performances?

• Jun 15, 2020

The Believers is a disturbing thriller based around a brujeria cult (wrongfully often not clearly differentiated from Santeria). Although, for me, not really a horror flick other than being slightly gory for a thriller - the face blemish scenes are definitely a fear most people have had. Martin Sheen and the other character actors are solid and there were enough twists to keep me interested. I think it holds up fairly well. I'm not sure why the score is quite so rotten.

• Apr 18, 2020

I don't understand the critics and "experts" dislike for this movie. Same with Rotten Tomatoes and their ROTTEN rating. It's hilarious how it has a 35 Rotten Tomato score, but yet 90% like this movie. Maybe it was ahead of its time? I think it rocks. So go KICK rocks with your ROTTEN rating. 💨🎤

• Oct 30, 2019

These bad reviews are absurd, this film is full of disturbing images, great actor, and a solid plot.

• Jun 28, 2017

Surprisingly good thriller/horror that grabs you right away and the ride it takes is entertaining.Nice little hidden gem from yesteryear.

• Mar 12, 2017

This was one of the classier horror movies of the 1980s. Not quite as chilling as I remember it being, but it has its moments.

• Jun 28, 2016

Although a thriller, and a disturbing one at that, this is also a meditation on how people who are searching or in need of something outside of their regular lives, can be easily sucked into dangerous ideology. It can be terrorism, racism, or anarchism; here, it is a religious cult. Robert Loggia and Martin Sheen are a Police Lieuetenant and a Psychotherapist, respectively, who investigate when an NYPD detective goes off the rails after finding the body of an eight year old boy on a sacrificial altar. The deeper they go, the more personal it gets, until Sheen's own eight year old son, played by Harley Cross, is caught up in the affair.

• Mar 20, 2016

There's a lot of talent involved with this film, both on and behind the camera. John Schlesinger directs a screenplay by Mark Frost, with Martin Sheen, Robert Loggia, and a host of talented character actors. It's not immediately apparent why all this talent was put to the service of this film. As mainstream Hollywood horror goes, it's pretty good. It's moderately entertaining and moves at a pretty decent clip. It's a fairly muted and safe bit of horror though, and there's just little remarkable about it. It's difficult to see why anyone would be all that interested in making it, especially a man with Schlesinger's body of work.

• Feb 01, 2016

Wow this was bad. Avoid it at all cost! I will never get the time I wasted back from watching this.

• Sep 11, 2015

Oldie but goodie horror flick...I saw it many years ago and just watched it again, it is still memorable.Great cast and very frightening.