The Blob - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blob Reviews

January 8, 2017
A cultural icon of a film. Colorful for this time and genre, funny and a bit self-aware again for the time, and creative for the effects at any time, the movie is a perfect midnight watch fest and certainly worth the cult status and will bring a smile to most people's faces for one reason or another.
½ December 29, 2016
OK, it looks poor alongside the special effects and great acting we have today, but it's a good movie and definitely worth a watch.
November 25, 2016
So much damn fun. Classic B-Monster goodness. The jingle at the beginning is so ludicrous, hilarious and catchy!
November 22, 2016
I'm not interested in seeing this movie, the 1988 remake is a hell of alot better.
Steve Mcqueen is a great actor but still I ain't gonna be watching this movie because it will be probably boring.
October 30, 2016
I think I was the exact right age when I first saw the movie as a kid. It was terrifying and thrilling and was a film that burdened itself into my memory. The most memorable parts to me as a kid are a bit corny now, like the farmer with the blob stuck on his hand, or the blob chasing people out of the movie theater, or the finale when Steve McQueen is trapped in a diner that the blob has engulfed. Still, this film is a lot of fun and it's pretty funny seeing the ultra-cool McQueen playing a snot nosed teenager who's condescended to by all the adults around him (even though he was 28-years old at the time of filming). Classic goofy fun.
½ October 30, 2016
The one thing that took me out a little is how they simply believed steve mcqueen without questioning him, and had the same conviction to warn the town that he had, despite zero reason to think there was a blob.
Far less believable than the actual blob. Also, they got fire trucks? come on. Not sure why it would be averse to cold, flying in outer space. 40 or 50 people killed? Just randomly escape out the window? LOTS of suspension of disbelief.

Horrible theatre extras all laughing while running from the blob.
There should be more redemption for Steve telling the truth.

All painful flaws aside, this may be the epitome of the '50s monster flick. I love the camaraderie of the teens & townsfolk.
October 3, 2016
Just stupid enough to be charming. The Blob doesn't age well, but that only adds to its watch-ability. You won't love it, but you will enjoy it... it think.
October 2, 2016
No wonder nobody trusted Steve McQueen... he plays the oldest looking teenager ever.
October 2, 2016
My significant other and I began our 31 nights of horror movies yesterday with this classic. Neither of us had seen it before and I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, it was campy, and cliche, and unintentionally hilarious but that's why I loved it. The opening theme song was gold, the actors playing teenagers looked 30, and the not-so-special effects warmed my heart. I truly enjoyed this movie. The ending was a little weak though. 4 out of 5 stars.
September 8, 2016
Come on, this was one of the best movies.
August 20, 2016
More than ten minutes of Blob action.
June 21, 2016
One of the odder inclusions in the Criterion Collection. It's an okay example of a 1950's sci-fi monster flick. There are better examples ... a LOT of better examples. I know Criterion likes to include work from independent producers with a whiff of the auteur about them, but while this is probably Jack H. Harris's most famous productions, "4D Man" is a far better and more interesting film to highlight (along with "Equinox", which is also in the collection). Even the presence of Steve McQueen does little for this film. It's not a terrible film, but it's poorly paced and features some really terrible acting. The blob effects are nice though, and Burt Bacharach's theme song kicks ass ... remember ... it leaps and creeps and glides and slides.
½ May 4, 2016
This B-movie of the sci-fi/horror genres is plenty of goofy fun as a meteor crashes in a small town and unleashes murderous Gak upon the locals, and only the teens can stop it! Silly and cheesy, but just the right amount of cheese, with that 1950s innocent theme to keep you laughing and rolling your eyes throughout. Good fun, though not terribly deep thinking.
½ April 15, 2016
The smell of cheap fifties horror, combined with horrible acting and a abdominal glue blob monster, really sticks to your eyes like shit.
February 27, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ January 20, 2016
A cheesy and corny 50's horror film that unfortunately lacks any kind of cheesiness or corniness. With expectations high, this cult classic doesn't live up to the hype. The blob is not a threat until the last twenty minutes of the film, even then it becomes a joke. And everything in the film escalates from non-belief by the cops to total belief by some random "friends." While slightly enjoyable, the film doesn't deliver on being a cult 50's classic. The only thing I enjoyed about the film was the opening credits song. It instantly became stuck in my head. It's funny, corny and cheesy and also very misleading as a setup for rest of the film.
January 7, 2016
Awesome representation of how crappy effects were when I was a kid and how far we have come.

Shows imagination is great because suspended disbelief happens only in your head, not the screen.

It's worthy of cult title because, despite its faults, it still offered a thought provoking premise.
October 28, 2015
Just the right amount of cheese, complete with a thematically clashing opening song, stiff and hokey acting (especially from Steve McQueen) from obviously middle-age adults trying to play roles much younger than them, The Blob is the perfect "so-bad-it's-good" movie that serves as a great leaping point for newcomers to horror films (especially '50's horror films), B-grade monster and sci-fi flicks, and the teen movie.
½ October 25, 2015
While it's far from the worst installment in the horror genre, The Blob suffers miserably from its unrealistically mature performances, insubstantial direction and chortle-worthy dialogue, making for an awkward and visually disgusting B-grade sci-fi thriller that has little more going for it than its somewhat entertaining globular antagonist.