The Blue Tooth Virgin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Blue Tooth Virgin Reviews

September 29, 2013
The opening credits make a great and unusual start to this movie indicating a potential goodie. Photography is soft and subtle making the characters stand out. One has to be into writing, plays, poetry and other nerdy written things to be into this movie. This screen play makes out the truth about what we all think about working in Hollywood; it really is full of hot air. Nibbles: Pumpkin Cupcakes.
December 6, 2012
Loved this movie. Saw it as a Film Festival in Hollywood. The Plot and the characters are so interesting and it really makes you think. Russell Brown is a great writer/director and Bryce Johnson is a great actor. Very likable. See it."
November 2, 2012
Love the movie..smart...raw...a glimpse into the minds of "pseudo-intellectual-artist-wannabees"...
June 29, 2011
Interesting look at the writing process. Some might say it is too much talk and no action, but I liked it.
June 23, 2011
Beneath the corny title, u will find a wonderful friendship story about writers and their insecurities, not being able to digest criticism... very relevant to us, the writers and the people around us. Very charming tale.
September 11, 2010
"The Blue Tooth Virgin" sees two writer friends facing that age old dilemma: what happens if you read your friend's work... and hate it? Do you tell them you hate it? HOW do you tell them that? Or do you lie and say you loved it? Sam is a screenwriter. He once wrote a TV show that only ran for one season, but the critics loved it. He dwells on this - a lot. David is a writer. He writes for a pretty pointless magazine. The magazine is popular, but you get the sense that David would much rather be writing movies.

Sam asks David to take a look at his latest screenplay and let him know what he thinks. So David does just that... and absolutely detests the screenplay. It's some ridiculously confusing sci-fi, murder mystery story with bizarre characters - and David literally can't think of anything good to say about it. So when Sam asks David to tell him his thoughts, things get very awkward. Awkward and pretty funny. The screenplay Sam writes is called "The Blue Tooth Virgin" by the way, and there are many points in this movie where they comment on how horrible that title is.

Sam: "I'm not a plot guy, I'm a character guy".
David: "Good movies are about character".

- Very true. Characters are important, and I liked the characters in "The Blue Tooth Virgin". They were realistic. Not boring... which is sometimes the case with 'realistic' characters. I liked the editing, the direction and the dialogue too. Mostly the dialogue. It's funny. Realistic. Sorry, I keep using the word realistic. I'm just very used to seeing characters in movies seem SO phony. The dialogue and characters are really important to "The Blue Tooth Virgin". Don't let the seemingly simple premise stop you from giving this movie a chance. As someone who would love to write movies one day (if I ever have any good ideas) the world these characters live in really appealed to me.

"The Blue Tooth Virgin" actually feels like an hour and a half long episode of a TV show. Is that a bad thing? I don't think so. Because if it were a TV show, I would definitely watch it. It may not be the kind of movie you could watch over and over, but I would recommend that anyone even remotely interested in writing or movies should check this one out at least once.
June 7, 2010
This is movie that writers or people in Hollywood may appreciate more. Clever and shot wonderfully on a very low budget. Its one of the few movies that truly revels the real truths about screenwriting and the drama that follows chasing a screenwriting dream. It could also be looked upon as a pyschological piece about the lies people tell themselves in order to succeed or feel successful. Some people may feel its another film about L.A. narcissism but there something else there. Its one of the few films I reccomend about Hollywood even if its too talky.
½ May 6, 2010
*** (out of four)

A movie about writing a movie. It's been done before, but this film turns out to be just what a screenwriter would like to offer. It lampoons the industry it serves while questioning the true reasons thousands flock to L.A., script in hand, to take on the motion picture world.

Sam (Austin Peck) has just completed a new script that he feels is destined for greatness. He could use a break. It has been several years since his failed television show has been on the tube. He gives the script to his best friend (Bryce Johnson) to read. He does, but he hates it. He tries to give Sam the news gently, but their relationship is strained when they fight over it.

The story doesn't fall into the usual traps, instead it unfolds much like a stage play with long scenes of the characters just talking. The interaction is what makes the characters interesting. The scenes evolve much the way they would in real-life.
March 23, 2010
I like when actors get to move into movies after starting on soaps.
September 25, 2009
i think this movie is very interesting
September 21, 2009
Clever and beautifully shot mini-budget comedy/drama that gets to real truths about screenwriting...and more importantly, about the lies we tell each other and ourselves and the costs and rewards of absolute truthfulness.
February 13, 2009
February 13, 2009
Loved this movie. Saw it as a Film Festival in Hollywood. The Plot and the characters are so interesting and really makes you think. Russell Brown is a great writer and Bryce Johnson is a great actor. Very likable. See it.