The Botany of Desire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Botany of Desire Reviews

June 1, 2013
While the premise (how plants used us to become exceptionally successful!) came across as kind of silly, the information was very interesting, and the program was put together very well.
January 10, 2013
Enjoyable film, a look at ways that plants manipulate humans to achieve their goals of getting their genes spread around the world.
½ August 26, 2012
Love Michael Pollan. Interesting and informative doc on 4 aspects, metaphors of plants' control over humans--apples, tulips, cannabis, and potatoes.
June 17, 2011
This sounds extremely dull. I am going to pass.
½ May 7, 2011
Really fascinating study of the biology, natural history, and cultural significance of four domesticated plants. The way the plants have influenced us and the way we changed their traits through breeding over time is pretty staggering.
½ March 20, 2011
This movie focuses on the need for diversity, no matter the plant. Very interesting stuff; makes me want to become a "lunatic farmer!"
March 14, 2011
I have new found respect for Apple, Tulip, Cannabis and Potato plants....
February 24, 2011
Ok. I want to be a farmer now.
February 22, 2011
I haven't read the book, though I have read others of his. So I can't attest whether this gave it justice or not. And while I think there are better food documentaries out there, it's not bad. That being said, it's more about plants as a whole (well, 4 of them) rather than food.
January 23, 2011
Saw it on the plane and have read the book. its a very interesting concept-- the plant's perspective!
½ January 20, 2011
Great documentary! And the Netherlands features prominently in two of the 4 plants discussed (though I'm not sure one of them is the kind of attention we want, but that's just me). It's inspired me to take a look at other potatoes rather than the familiar.
½ January 18, 2011
Although this documentary often takes some side steps that do not seem relevant to the questions at hand, its subject matter, which is difficult to make interesting, comes alive thanks to brilliant visuals and well-placed narratives and interviews.
January 15, 2011
Apples from Kazakstan? Genetically modified french fries? yommm
December 6, 2010
So brilliant and so ignorant
December 1, 2010
have *you* ever considered the existential predicament of the apple? ...that's what i thought.
November 29, 2010
I usually do not call anything a must see, but this is an exception. An interesting take on how plants use us, instead of the other way around. From causing financial meltdowns in the 17th century, to causing specific chemical reactions in the human brain, this PBS documentary takes the viewer on a journey of thought and adventure. Plants can be saviors if used correctly, or cause famine and death if not, in the case of the potato. Even plants with no functional use, such as the tulip, have an economic niche in the billions of dollars. A terrific look at where we have both been, and where we are going. The question is, who's driving the bus, humans or plants?
November 29, 2010
A riveting look at the evolution of four plants important to humans, and how we and they benefit from their natural qualities.
November 21, 2010
This was the best botany documentary I have ever seen. If you've been waiting to see apples, tulips, marijuana and potato's to share screen time look no further.
October 25, 2010
So intriguing the idea that plants have co-evolved to control us: the apple - sweetness, the potato - sustenance, the tulip - beauty, and marijuana - pleasure.
October 9, 2010
Marvelous doc with actually engaging voice over narration by McDormand, and some mildly sharp cheese in a few background reenactments and historical montages. The application of natural selection to plant-human interactions provokes an interesting socio-historical overview of select species, which is brief but has a fun revisionist edge.