The Boys in Blue - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boys in Blue Reviews

January 26, 2016
The Boys in Blue was a big hit in England in the 80's, Cannon and Ball were Mr & Mr Saturday night if you can believe it. Still, better than The Krankies, needless to say, I think you need to be British to understand/enjoy/remember. Great at the time, 3 stars for nostalgia.
March 23, 2013
Great cast with Roy Kinnear, Arthur English, Jon Pertwee, Edward Judd. And cannon and ball, its a great comedy romp, although Ball's voice and high octane are a little annoying at times but it's still great fun.
½ September 3, 2011
In the early 1980's, Cannon and Ball were very successful, with their own TV show. Then they were offered a film, directed by Val Guest (The Quatermass Xperiment (1955), Casino Royale (1967) and erm... Confessions of a Window Cleaner (1974)), based on the old Will Hay film, Ask a Policeman (1938), it seemed this would give Cannon and Ball an even bigger break. Well... erm... Set in the sleepy English village of Little Botham, (pronounced Bottom), this has two bumbling policemen, Sergeant Cannon (Tommy Cannon) and PC Ball (Bobby Ball), who never seem to get any big crimes, and only help with getting cows off the road, and sorting out the parking for local events. However, the district's Chief Constable (Eric Sykes) tells them the station will be shut. To try and keep it open, Cannon and Ball try to invent crimes but they accidentally stumble across a real crime involving millions of pounds worth of stolen paintings being smuggled out of the country, and there's a secret passage underneath the police station leading to a smuggler's cave. So, it's up to our two unlikely heroes to solve the case and bring justice. Sadly, this wasn't the Hot Fuzz of the 1980's, it's a 10th rate Police Academy. This just has Cannon and Ball doing their usual stuff, with very bad jokes and worse slapstick thrown in. Not even the appearances of Roy Kinnear, Jack Douglas and Jon Pertwee can save this film. It was bad then, and it's bad now.
June 19, 2011
This should have cult value, but it is a terribly poor comedy script and the plot is just a farce.
June 15, 2011
Whilst the jokes are quite dated it's always a pleasure watching the strong supporting cast in action, including Jon Pertwee and Jack Douglas
November 28, 2010
I have always had a soft spot for this film since I first saw it when I was a kid in the mid 80s. The Cannon & Ball comedy is very dated now ‚Rock on Tommy‚? but it is still a very good film and surprisingly a really good script and supporting cast with the likes of Roy Kinnear and Eric Sykes. Cannon & Ball really suite the part of the clueless policemen, this was made when they were at their peak and its easy to forgot how popular they used to be a long time ago.
My favourite part has to be where they stake out the farm house and when they see the supposed flying saucer. Would recommend this for the Nostalgic it is something that probably would not be popular today, some people might not get the bucks fizz gag!. ‚Thats Fantastic Tommy, Fantastic‚? Maybe not Fantastic but very good. I have to admit I quite like the theme tune too!!!
January 25, 2009
its a classic, i love it.
July 29, 2008
Great comedy classic with the genius of Cannon and Ball
June 23, 2008
laugh every time i see it
May 25, 2008
Thankfully this was British comedy duo Cannon and Ball's only foray into movies. Rock on Tommy!
March 5, 2008
Come on! Renowned to be awful but I love this film. Ball is great, especially making 'the blonde' change seats.

Had my copy signed by Cannon & Ball when I saw them live, so I treasure my copy even more.

An undeniable guilty pleasure and a great cast. Stolen paintings, dodgy businessmen, a police station that doubles as a mini-market, a UFO?

See it. If you don't laugh at least once, you're dead!!!
January 21, 2008
My favourite movie of all time :-)Cannon & Ball are legends!!!!!!!!!!