The Car - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Car Reviews

August 9, 2016
One of my classic fave horror movies
August 7, 2016
Herbie goes turns into a homicidal maniac. It's Jaws on wheels. Good low budget stuff.
May 28, 2016
Entertaining and fun movie with a bad ass looking car causing havoc.
½ May 9, 2016
I watched this when I was a kid and I really liked it. I re watched it recently and liked it just as much. Now, it's not for everyone cause it's extremely cheesy, but it really is a cult classic. A possessed car roams a small town in Utah, killing off citizens and police officers. It's so much fun. It also has a lot of great, memorable scenes, like the car in the garage scene, or the car through the house scene, or even the final scene. Also, like any cheesy movie, it has some great lines such as "CAT POO!" or "farting music for a year". It really needs to be seen to understand what is so great about it. It also includes a pretty good soundtrack and a real sense of tension in the scenes involving the car. I think it's an underrated cult classic that more people need to see.
April 30, 2016
This movie is a 70s summer drive in classic. The light ways tossing in their pathetic current standard to this is sad. I still dont know how they made a demon of fire in an age with no CGI.
½ February 7, 2016
Fairly dull attempt at trying to make "Jaws on land". Some of the effects are great, and the stunts are impressive, but overall it's not very effective.
January 8, 2016
As silly as any film about a driverless car running people down is expected to be, this has a few good moments. I thought their attempts to give the characters more depth was a bit of a waste of time, but it's an alright way to kill an hour and a half.

Plus, that creepy honking!

Rental.
½ October 27, 2015
It took three screenwriters (Michael Butler, Dennis Shryack and Lane Slate) to postulate the malevolent sentience of a motor vehicle? Anyway, The Car is a subglacial, moronic jalopy that doesn't benefit from turgid family squabbles. Stephen King's Christine knew that the sinister car itself wasn't especially scary. It was the insidious seduction of Keith Gordon that was frightening. The POV of the car is basically a series of tawny color filters. The bridge massacre of two bicyclists is achieved to minimal suspense and overt stupidity. James Brolin, father of the burly Josh, is the chief deputy who obnoxiously tussles with Lauren (Kathleen Lloyd) after an evening of unwedded revelry. Speaking of which, the gregarious domestic scenes with Brolin, Lloyd and his two daughters are unbearably schmaltzy. It might be lax to omit character drama but an abused wife, a recovering alcoholic and a single parent, are all clay pigeons for further bloodshed. The kitchen-sink approach is utilized by Elliot Silverstein to capture the inexorable dread of the Lincoln Continental Mark III's spree (ex. The camera is mounted low near the tire when it screeches to a halt). Regardless, when the sheriff is impaled by the titular car, it looks like he was paralyzed with fear and collapsed instead of collided with. Those who desire hermetic explanations will be chagrined that the car's possessed powers can be chalked up to Satanic manifestation. Of course, that is a vague assumption since no concrete reason is proposed other than an opening quote by Anton LeVay and the fact that is can't trespass on consecrated ground. Lloyd's taunts at the Lincoln are wildly unfunny ("Why don't you get out of that upside-down bathtub?"). The one consolation is the Hal Needham-like stuntwork such as when the car leaps through a residential house's window.
½ September 7, 2015
Falls under the headline of good campy horror.Critics hate this but this underrated bit of cheese is a lot more thriller than horror but that is fine with me.
July 27, 2015
This was a really good B-horror movie -- it was funny, solidly directed, and has some nice chills and thrills. It's like Spielberg's Duel, with similar affect.
May 30, 2015
As a Horror movie it's bad but as an action thriller it's great!!! I still love this movie and one day I hope it can gets a reboot.
½ April 27, 2015
I own this on DVD and Blu-Ray.
April 9, 2015
Campy and fun, definitely a cult favorite of the 70's. Enjoyable and goofy, but serious for its time.
April 1, 2015
A strange sort of movie which it's presence never left out. I mean it. The way it's constructed, it has it's own characteristics as a bizarre movie, no doubt.
January 24, 2015
Awesome horror movie
December 31, 2014
i don't know why I loved this movie. Maybe the sound of the demon possesed horn or the sound of the engine. Whatever it was, I love it!
November 17, 2014
A fun horror flick that has a few surprises up its sleeve, and lots of car attacks too. 56/100
½ October 20, 2014
Campy, cult horror movie about a demonic car... How could it not be great? Totally entertaining
½ September 12, 2014
A little slice of my childhood that probably goes a long way to explaining a great deal about the way I am today.
August 27, 2014
Sure it's a Jaws knockoff, and the acting is quite iffy for 80% of the film, but that car is scary as hell, and certainly scared the jeebus out of me and my brother in the 70s.