The Century of the Self - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Century of the Self Reviews

December 3, 2008
This documentary, though dry (VERY dry), cemented my belief that PR just programs you to want things you don't need, or believe things that aren't true
August 5, 2008
And I thought I knew quite a lot about public relations! This is unbelievably well done. Focuses it's emphasis on facts and history, rather than personal opinion and bias. Every citizen of the western world, particularly Britain and the U.S., should see this video - if only just to understand how manipulated and twisted our societies and governments have become in this age. And how it came to be that way.
July 3, 2008
This documentary series gives a mind blowing perspective on the origins of PR and branding, tracing the history back to Freudian psychoanalysis. If you have any interest in the politics of communication, or how the United States has developed into the advertising heavy media capital it is today, you should check it OUT!
½ June 3, 2008
This is good stuff. Maybe a little simplified on the Freudian theoretical side but a real damning of propaganda (*ahem* public relations), corporate and governmental manipulation, and peoples love of sitting round the table drinking wine and lapping up doggy treats. Must watch
April 7, 2008
Brilliant series on the co-development of American Psychology, consumer capitalism, and focus-group politics. As with the other work I've seen by Curtis, it's sophisticated, well-argued, and visually engaging. While not without their faults, Curtis' films are probably the most important political documentaries of our time.
February 18, 2008
brilliant series of films explaining how the world works and who it benefits. some parts are truly disturbing; is it just me or does it seem like those focus groups feed off people's souls?
February 11, 2008
This was outstanding!!! just an enlighting documentary...
January 30, 2008
Strap your friends, families and even your enemies into a seat and make them watch this film for the greater good! Outstanding...
January 29, 2008
Odlican dokumentarac u 4 dijela o nacinima na koje korporacije i politicari manipuliraju masama pomocu nasih podsvijesnih, iracionalnih misli i emocija.
January 25, 2008
Brilliant. I have to say this was a great recommendation. This is worth tracking down.
January 19, 2008
Utterly utterly utterly brilliant. Adam Curtis is up there with Peter Watkins in the great documentary maker stakes. Wow!
January 17, 2008
Curtis's expose of Freudianism's use in undermining democracy and controlling the populace establishes him as the political documentarian of our age.
½ January 12, 2008
An interesting documentary that deleves into commericalism and physcology. Although a little slow.
December 24, 2007
The best documentary ever made.
December 21, 2007
One of the best and most interesting documentaries I have ever seen. Shocked it is on Flixster.
December 18, 2007
Better than any course that I have gotten from UCLA so far.
December 10, 2007
A must see!
Might change your view of the things.Also it might make you feel stupid a bit, but don't worry - that's how you're already treated ! If you wanna know how can you make instant cakes sales go through the roof (add an egg!) or why did Clinton win his second term in the white house then take a look at this 4 part documentary (last one is particulary disturbing). Only one complaint - Freud's postulate is repeated over and over again, as if we I did't get it the first 100 times.
November 18, 2007
Best documentary I every seen. If you are remotely interesting in how you think and why, seeing this will be a perfect starting point.