Children of Heaven (Bacheha-Ye aseman) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of Heaven (Bacheha-Ye aseman) Reviews

½ January 20, 2017
A heartwarming, expertly directed and refreshingly humble film from Pakistan that boasts an ingenuous story that counts it as one of the most moving kids' films from across the world.
January 19, 2017
Very Cute and Extraordinary performance by the kids in this movie.
½ January 15, 2017
Throughly a tender and sweet movie about family, determination, and love.
½ November 24, 2016
It feels almost impossible not to love these two adorable young children who carry on their shoulders this beautiful tale of innocence, poverty and compassion - a film that pulls us with such power into the situation faced by its characters that we can't be left unmoved.
October 20, 2016
Children of Heaven is flawed in structure and pacing, but the film is so effective in its simple storytelling and very good characterization that it becomes such a moving tale that can really affect you emotionally. Watching the two children was so heartwarming and at times heartbreaking, the child actors gave very good performances, the film is mostly very well made and it succeeds as such an emotional family drama with a couple of truly powerful sequences.
February 10, 2016
Rating: 59%
The acting and direction is pretty decent in Children of Heaven, but the characters are from likable and the story isn't that impressive.
November 20, 2015
???????? ?????? ?????, ??????? ?????? ????? ? ?????, ??? ??????? ??? ????? ? ??? ???????????. ?????? ?? ???????? ?? ???????? ?? ??? ??? ????? ?? ??????
August 25, 2015
Strange stakes and an unsatisfying ending didn't make for entertaining viewing.
½ June 26, 2015
The simplicity, the expressions and the innocence - Children of Heaven banks upon all three and proves to be a gentle reminder that to portray a deep sense of humane connections, one doesn't need to resort to complicated events. I believe I have never seen a movie with a simpler plot yet so touching and relatable. One can simply watch the movie and proclaim "yes, this can totally happen with me!" Iranian movies have always surprised me with their elegance and style of storytelling, I will surely look forward for more!
½ June 5, 2015
An ode to love, purity and good heart. This Iranian film is one of that strange pieces of jewelry that from time to time we can find. A movie for children, too different of the dumbest and violent films from super heroes and entities alike. In 1998 was nominated to best foreign language film but it had to face to "Life is beautiful" from Benigni. The scene with father and son ride a bicycle made me remind of Vittorio de Sica's "Bicycle Thieves"
October 6, 2014
exceptional.
i happened to see the Singaporean version first, years ago. and i found it amazing. but this, being the one the SG version adapted it to, awesome. the acting was stunning.
½ July 27, 2014
Enchanting film, makes you appreciate what you have & realize what we take for granted
July 26, 2014
Amazing movie that shows life in Iran after revolution. Shows the beauty of people there especially kids. The struggles of common man and child in Iran. There were some parts that were unanswered; possibly because they were gaps in script but not enough to take away from its beauty.
½ July 22, 2014
definitely a nostalgic film for me. i enjoyed watching it, and there were some aching moments of longing, though i think a lot of that pertained to my specific experience as a child growing up in iran. as a film, i think it executed the child's pov very well and did a wonderful job of depicting a world through non-conventional narrative structures. in the end though, the characters didn't change or grow, which to me, removed the audience from experiencing the film and ultimately denied audience satisfaction (which may have been intentional, but didn't align with my personal tastes). regardless, a very poignant, nostalgic, tragic film.
June 5, 2014
The way a director juxtaposes innoncence with poverty is simple and touching.
½ May 13, 2014
A movie that spring to my mind whenever I'm thinking about Iran, not without reason, because this is my first Iranian movie and come from one of my favorite director Majid Majidi.

I really love how Majid portray the innocence of children mind and how he chooses not try to explain the meaning behind what and why it's happening. Nice touch at the end of the movie, by not showing children's reaction, giving viewer opportunity to imagine sweetest reaction they will have.
½ May 10, 2014
Children of Heaven serves as a heart warming meditation about real goodness in humanity
April 25, 2014
This film, which put Director Majid Majidi on the World Cinema map, is a piece of gem. The story revolves around a pair of shoes, or rather its absence; never did I imagine that a pair of shoes can sustain my interest for 90 minutes. Writer/Director Majidi tackles issues like poverty, necessity, selflessness, purity of childhood, sibling-love, perseverance and determination with such aesthetic and charm, without being melodramatic.

After five minutes into the movie, the kid Ali confesses to her sister Zahra that he lost her shoes and he couldn't find them; the innocence and sadness portrayed in this scene draws you into their lives immediately. The two kids are the heart and soul of the movie, and carry the movie forward with their range of genuine and varied emotions; the director draws out such powerful and sublime performances out of them. Even the supporting performances of Ali's father and the-small-girl-in-school are quite commendable.

Losing something you're entrusted to, getting into trouble at home/school, asking your sibling/friend to cover up for you, sharing responsibilities when someone you care is sick, determination to win something with a larger goal in mind - these themes are so universal that a kid or adult from any place could easily relate to. The story might seem too linear and optimistic to some, but it portrays a world of love and selflessness. People, especially kids, with lesser means are often more selfless and helpful than their fellow beings with more riches; they appreciate and understand the value of even the simplest and smallest of things.

The incidents, the adventures, and the whole running around due to the missing pair of shoes teaches them a lot of things. All the running around eventually pays off when Ali gets selected into the school race team; we never really realize how we acquire certain talents.

Other than the brilliant acting, the artistically shot scenes and the remarkable background score add to the beauty and feel of the movie. The seven-minute kids' race sequence towards the and is quite craftily shot and directed. There are so many scenes which are memorable, and stay etched in your mind for a long time.
March 30, 2014
A beautifully told story of brotherly love and poverty directed with a steady eye by Majid Majidi. The two young actors (whose only film credits to this day remains Children of Heaven) deserve accolades for a fantastic job. It is a sad thing that they have never appeared in another film as both displayed talent beyond their years and experience. While the plot is simple (the older brother loses his sisters shoes at the market and makes every effort to keep her happy and him out of trouble so that his poor father and sick mother won't have to spend what little money they have to replace the lost shoes). A great film that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.