The Creeping Terror (Dangerous Charter) (The Crawling Monster) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Creeping Terror (Dangerous Charter) (The Crawling Monster) Reviews

½ May 14, 2019
Some movies fail in every conceivable aspect to such an extent that they become unintentionally hilarious. This category includes such illustrious films as Plan 9 from Outer Space, Manos: Hands of Fate, and The Room. To that list, I would like to add a lesser-known "gem" - Vic Savage's The Creeping Terror. As with many of these films, there is an interesting story behind The Creeping Terror. In short, it was part of a scam by Vic Savage. Besides scamming investors, the director stiffed the man he hired to create the monster costume, who then proceeded to leave in protest, taking his creature costume with him. The result was the shag carpet monster seen in the completed film. Reportedly, someone also lost the soundtrack - the sound in the final film is composed of bad ADR, overly-serious narration, and atrocious, repetitive music and stock sound effects.

It is apparent what kind of movie The Creeping Terror is before the film has passed the 5 minute mark. After a conversation between two of the leads which showcases the poor quality of the cinematography and the amateurish writing given to the narrator, the movie attempts to show an alien spaceship landing. I say "attempts" because I honestly had no idea what was going on the first time I watched this film. The effects shot of the alien ship approaching earth employs the time-honored technique of smearing vaseline on a camera lens and filming a truck (the spaceship) driving past on a stretch of highway with a number of streetlights (stars). The film then cuts to stock footage of a rocket launch, except played in reverse so that the engines appear to suck in the exhaust.

Returning to the monster, one of the most important parts of any creature feature, it looks like a pile of soiled quilts with some rubber tubing sticking out of its head, and the shoes of the high school students carrying the creature can occasionally be seen projecting from under the costume. Not only is the creature ugly and unthreatening in design, but it is extremely unthreatening in behavior. The creature moves at less than walking pace, and at one point, someone outruns it by crawling. It also visibly struggles to push past folding tables and chairs during the dance hall scene. This makes the human characters look like complete morons, as they could easily escape the creature simply by walking in the opposite direction, but instead sit there and scream until it eats them.

Unsurprisingly, the human characters are incredibly uninteresting. Furthermore, the main characters fail to accomplish anything at any point in the movie. The most the movie attempts to do with its characters is incorporate a subplot about how Barney, one of the police officers, is in the wrong for being a bachelor. Several extended sequences also focus on random characters doing completely irrelevant and uninteresting things. For instance, the dance hall scene starts with an extended sequence of people dancing before the creature teleports into the room (it doesn't appear to enter through a door).

The Creeping Terror is a rare example of a movie I could one-up if given the money. It feels like a film made by a handful of adolescents who were given a few thousand dollars and group of community theater actors and asked to make a film. It is also a fascinating film, in the sense of a 10 car pileup caused by careless driving. The film is so unbelievably incompetent and amateurish and produced for such cynical reasons that I can't give it an even give a slightly positive review, no matter how much pleasure I took from its sheer incompetence.
June 24, 2018
Oh good lord. This film. The Creeping Terror (which like many terrible films I've seen, I first saw on MST3K) is just BAD. However its a so-bad-its-good film. The dialogue is laughable, characters are stupid, we have a monster made out of carpets (not kidding), and is just so enjoyable. Not much more to explain, just watch it. You'll have a fun time.
½ December 10, 2016
In the fim, two aliens arrive in a flying saucer. They are there to eat humans, to see there weaknesses(which we don't find out until the end), so aliens can plan an invasion. One of them stays in the saucer for some reason, while the other roams the counry side devouring people too stupid to run away, for example a young mother, a grand-father and grand-son, a cop( who didn't even have to die, but went too close to the giant throw rugs in the saucer, who couldn't even hurt him, as they were strapped in, but whatever), a couple making love,(which had the only person in the film smart enough to run away, BTW), and an entire dance hall, with what I assume was prom going on at, even though it was noon. There, also was a piano there that was trying to be scary, but.. Then the thing devoured a whole group of Hippies, who were just too high to scream. The it went to Lover's lane, where it flipped over a car that literally just came from a junkyard, as it had no tires, huge dents and graffiti on it. It then proceeded to take down a whole group of ARMED soldiers, but was then shot to death by Vic Savage. Then the other finally came out, and somebody ran into it, but not before half devouring some douchebag doctor I didn't care about. Without the extra scenes of the giant penis looking thing with a vagina head eating people, the film would have had a run time of seven minutes
The review: I was overcome with HORROR watching a rug devouring several retarded hillbillys who lived in a nuclear gas testing area, as that is the only place in the world where would only stand there, looking shocked, as an alien tarp-pipe -cleaner contraption devours them whole, through a vagina in its neck. But who knows, maybe i'm wrong, and these people were just standing there, trying to comprehend why the HELL they agreed to be in that movie, and why the thing attacking them looked like looked like a giant mound of mushy broccoli and pipe cleaners, with what appeared to be tennis shoes sticking out from under it. But who knows, maybe the vagina-mouthed rug stopped at a shoe store, to get a nice new pair of kicks, before it went on its murderous rampage, devouring a couple hundred braindead hicks. "But damn," he wrote," they got a star-studded cast to be in it, like the guy who did the sex ed documentaries in the 50s, as he did 95% of the movie's dialogue." He then wrote about how he found the third person dialogue to be hilarious. It was QUITE the scaving review!
The acting was also horrendous, as at least twice( in the few moments of actual dialogue) a character was speaking without there lips moving. Also, everyones' scream sounded the same as they were being devoured. Also, you could clearly see arms helping the poor people into the tarp, which the extras steered with the utmost grace of a retarded chimpanzee.The ending was the only good part of the film for two reasons.
A. It was finally over.
B. The ending, while actually being kinda dumb, was still the smartest part of the film, so Yah!
November 19, 2016
Terrible, but laughably enjoyable at the same time! I would recommend watching the MST3K version though! Overall the film is terribly directed, incoherent, drab, and the victims are so damn stupid (come on you can run away from this slow-ass carpet alien-thing!).
October 17, 2016
THE CREEPING TERROR has to be one of the worst movies ever made. It is, quite simply, beyond belief. What in God's name were these people thinking when they made it? I mean- who the bloody hell thought some monster made of carpet swatches and rubber tubing eating people was scary? Every time this monster eats someone, their legs are still moving as they are being devoured- it looks like the actors are climbing into the monster. The hilarity and incompetence is off the scale in this garbage. Nobody will ever believe that such a shockingly bad film like this actually exists- but it does. Oh, it really does.

I will admit- this movie does have somewhat of an interesting premise that would have been needed to be further changed and developed- these monsters are actually alien sample collectors designed to study human weaknesses. Now- I could see a satire or maybe a serious sci-fi movie starting out like that- but this movie is so atrocious, so incompetent, so badly made and so unbelievably crazy that who could ever take it seriously? The film not only disregards this interesting premise but actually forgets about it to become a standard monster chase film- and that is an insult to monster chase films.

This movie may have to be seen to be believed. I mean- it is really something. It has absolutely no redeeming features. Everything about it is awful- even the little things, like the cinematography, the makeup, the special effects (probably the worst special effects in history- even more so than PLAN 9)- absolutely everything in this movie is awful. Not only is it a complete anti-classic, but it is just downright hilarious. Hilariously awful. Like a few others, this must be considered a highlight of any bad movie festival. Movies this bad deserve their own movie festival- maybe even their own museum.
½ July 12, 2016
If your idea of "terror" is being slowly pursued and swallowed whole by a heap of carpets and some tubing, prepare to have the life scared out of you!
½ March 16, 2016
The Creeping Terror is bad but I have seen worse. The monster is a joke and it features the kid is terrifying faces that the camera languishes on where the character could totally run away but doesn't. How many good movies were ever completely overdubbed? For all of the flaws, I am kind of entertained by this and like the rock and roll dance sequence. It can be a chore to get through
½ January 27, 2016
The Creeping Terror is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I know such a thing is often declared following a miserable cinematic experience, but I say it with every single ounce of my being. It is completely irredeemable; horrible and painful on every possible level. Not a single thing is done well or even competently, as if the unscrupulous Vic Savage was going for some kind of record for how much he could screw up the production. For me the whole thing wasn't even amusing in an ironic way. There's more narration than dialogue, and it's often superimposed over scenes of actual conversation, explaining to us what is being said. The light balance is dreadful, making it look as if filming took place during a nuclear fallout. The plot is beyond ridiculous, the special effects are abysmal, and the alien creature we're all supposed to fear resembles a giant, unkempt fur coat draped over a handful of no-doubt uncomfortable extras who awkwardly shuffle about the area with all the grace of a drunken dad at a wedding reception. If the monster is good for anything, it's reducing the number of brain dead people in the state of California, since every single person who dies in this movie only does so because, upon seeing a giant, slithering slug from outer space, they chose to remain still and look shocked rather than, you know, running like Hell in the opposite direction.
In terms of filmmaking competency, this is actually worse than Manos: The Hands of Fate. I realise that isn't a statement that should be made lightly, but that film was at least in colour, and despite it all being dubbed there was still the illusion that the characters were speaking to each other. There was also much less filler, and the people in it had some semblance of survival instinct. The Creeping Terror, or more accurately, The Shambling Nuisance, is 76 minutes of inexcusably dumb people being killed by a laughably designed antagonist, filmed with little care or attention by someone who doesn't know the slightest thing about movie making. I watched purely out of morbid curiosity, and will forever pay the price for doing so.
½ July 5, 2015
This isn't a movie. A real movie has actual characters that talk and not just a bunch of stock footage with a narrator talking over it.
January 8, 2015
Hahahahahaha! Tooo damn campy!
½ November 7, 2014
OMG. What a bad film. A horror documentary. The whole film is narrated with very little actual voice acting. This is mostly silent movie acting.
July 22, 2014
This Film is absolutely terrible. The monster looks like carpet, it shouldn't be in black in white, it dosen't need narration, and since the monster moves like 2 inches a minute, people would be able to run away right, well they just stand there. This film is, so far, the worst film I have ever seen.
½ April 30, 2014
92%

Hilariously bad, and the narrator just makes it worse or better, depending on how you look at it. The monster cutting a rug is just too much.
½ March 24, 2014
This is probably, one of the worst best films of all time for its ridicules monster and its also never disappoints every minute is as awkward and brainless as any one would want from a bad film I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed/survived plan 9 from outer space and the incredibly strange creatures who stopped living and became mixed up zombies or I.S.C.W.S.L.A.B.M.U.Z.
October 31, 2013
I never managed to see the entire film. I found it on late late late night TV about 25 years ago and I laughed so hard I broke a rib. Yes, this movie is transcendently bad. However awful any other movie could be, it could never fall this low.
½ October 29, 2013
The Creeping Terror AKA The Carpet That People Crawl Into is a cheap 60's drive in flick featuring a rug monster who slowly waddles over people and sucks them into a slit in the rug. The Creeping Terror is one of those films people spent more time doing other things in their cars and to be honest anything would be funner than watching this poorly made film.
April 24, 2013
This movie is much too intense for younger viewers or for those who love carpets.
March 18, 2013
PEOPLE it was made 40 YEARS AGO!!!!!
calm your hormones and move on! jesus
½ January 18, 2013
What a ridiculous monster movie. The acting is awful, the plot is a mess, and the monster looks horrible. It's a freaking walking carpet for crying out loud. The film's so cheap that the didn't even bother to record most of the dialog back, leaving us with some cheesy narration. Hilariously bad.
½ January 17, 2013
During a overly protracted scene in which the carpet-monster eats attendees of a dance party before moving on to the young couples in "Lover's Lane" (plus a balding middle-aged man enjoying the show), an incessant piano struggles to prove it can be just the instrument for the job to create a tension-filled atmosphere. These ten minutes (which feel like an hour) are chock-full of action----which can suck more than the other? The men under a carpet pretending to be a monster, or the piano? Note: this movie's budget was on the same level as the Beast of Yucca Flats---don't expect any dialogue, just clumsy narration. And lots of it.