The Croods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Croods Reviews

January 25, 2016
Pretty funny and a good family movie.
January 18, 2016
Nice stylized animation and great voice acting highlight a fun and easy to connect to screenplay. Extra feels for fathers of little girls. I don't like Nick Cage but his performance for Grug is great and his character arc while predictable, is handled wonderfully.

Spoiler; they keep the ending family fun and sweet and it's fine the way it is and nice but this could have won an Oscar if they would have left it at Grug in the cave painting his family. I thought I was going to bawl like a baby.

Good family film with something for everyone.
January 16, 2016
This is a great film! I actually liked it. It had some scary scenes though.
½ January 15, 2016
Really Enjoyable Family Orenitated Story, With A Catch For All Those Stick-In-The-Mud Dads Out There.
½ January 14, 2016
The Croods is the funniest animation I've ever seen, I laughed my heart out.
January 10, 2016
The Croods is such an underappreciated and fun flick that is one of the most entertaining from the studio. It has an unoriginal and predictable plot, but the characters are well developed, the conflict is well realized, its heart is evident, the score is good and the animation is breathtaking and quite inspired. It is a charming, funny and quite moving film.
½ December 26, 2015
Superbly animated with very colourful characters, but the lack of familiar prehistoric creatures makes it weirder than it should be. The story is weak and the characters are stereotypical and the silly scrapes they get themselves into do little more than move the film along.
December 26, 2015
With a solid voice cast, stunning animation and a few laughs this is fun entertainment that might not be too taxing on the brain but is enjoyable in its somewhat simple and light approach.
December 13, 2015
stupid funny, but funny
½ December 3, 2015
Surprisingly vibrant with some great messages. It's cute, fun, and nice to look at...and every now and then it makes you feel. Unfortunately, as a story, it's very predictable and doesn't seem to progress sufficiently enough to be a full length film. It's just not "classic" material, but it is worth checking out.
½ December 2, 2015
This is fun family movie that is enjoyable to watch.
½ December 2, 2015
Noble in message, a tad boring in every other respect. You get the point after the first twenty minutes, really, but it's a harmless flick and there's nothing particularly wrong with it. Children will enjoy it, but unlike some of the Pixar classics it likely won't be a favourite among adults.
½ October 20, 2015
Big props to this movie, which I wasnt really interested in seeing, and barely remembered its existence when the title was suggested to me, for being as damn entertaining and funny as it was. This one had a lot of smart ideas (A neanderthal family has to escape their home because of mammoth geological changes to the earth) mixed in with some really smart jokes. There's a bit of sick humor in this, and some frightening scenes that may not make it suitable for kids, but I had a blast with this.
September 23, 2015
Awesome movie... best Animation flick of the year... so far
September 22, 2015
not nearly as much heart and soul as pixars
September 16, 2015
he Croods is a featherweight animated comedy perched somewhere between Ice Age and "The Flintstones." It's not as funny as the former or as endearing the latter. It is the kind of movie that you enjoy it while you're watching it, but afterwards it slips away from your mind. In six months your kids might not even remember it.

The Croods of the title are a prehistoric family. There are six of them: Dad is Grug (Nicholas Cage); Mom is Ugga (Catherine Keener); Gran is the elder (Cloris Leachman); the kids are a teenage daughter Eep (Emma Stone); a son named Thunk (Clark Duke); and a feral toddler named Sandy (Randy Thom) who acts more like the family dog. They are fairly afraid of the world around them mostly because the entire landscape seems ready to swallow them up. For this reason, Dad has instituted the family motto: "Everything new is bad!"

It's true, The Croods don't know much about the world around them (despite a perfect grasp of modern English) and Dad takes measures to keep them safe, like locking them in a cave at night. The family may scoff but his technique seems to have worked where others seem to have failed. No one ever blatantly points it out, but The Croods seem to be the only human beings on Earth. There are indications of another family, but that information is held out for one of the sentimental moments.

The story has an adventure, but it settles more firmly on boring family issues. The oldest child, Eeps yearns to break out of Dad's cautionary measures and explore the world. One night she does, and comes across a handsome young wanderer named Guy (Ryan Reynolds) who has information that the world is about to come apart. This - we remember from science class - is the breakup of Pangaea, a single continent that broke up millions of years ago and became the continents that we know today. That sets off an uneasy journey as the family heads . . . someplace safe. With the whole world coming apart it is hard to tell where they think they are going, but there seem to be some peaks that make up the horizon.

The family story involves Dad's attempt to lead his family despite the fact that young Guy has much better survival instincts. He is also angered by the fact that Eep has taken a liking to the new boy and that opens up the old familiar you-gotta-let-her-grow-up plots that have been the bane of the Ice Age sequels.

The journey itself has its moments. Between dodging fierce creatures and massive land shifts, The Croods discover fire, shoes, sunglasses, umbrellas, belts, the rickshaw, lawn furniture, family portraits, domestic pets, dreadlocks, and a concept called "hugging" (awww!) They also discover a strange phenomenon that only takes place at night, little pinholes in the night sky that help them understand where the sun goes all night. That scene is, admittedly, kind of magical.

One could only wish that the rest of the film were as wondrous. This is a fairly mushy movie. Like every other animated comedy these days, it is dulled by a bunch of sweet and sentimental family bonding. The problem is that the characters aren't interesting enough to make us care. The screenplay by Chris Sanders and Kirk DeMicco deals with the domestic issues of the father and his budding daughter, but who cares about that? This is a movie for kids. Why not just give them an honest-to-goodness slapstick comedy that will make them laugh non-stop? Leave the drama for when they grow up.
September 15, 2015
Not bad. Then they died!
September 13, 2015
The new update to iOS devices and that he was a little more than one of my favorite thing to say I love it and I don't have to go home now I can see that your not going to be in my head hurts so much fun and easy
½ September 9, 2015
it started a little slow for me but it was a good movie over all
½ August 24, 2015
The Croods combines state of the art animation,hilarious humor,and neat story and makes it history in the making. Review by Logan Cornn.