The Croods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Croods Reviews

½ August 22, 2015
This is a lovely animated movie with a great message.
August 21, 2015
Dreamworks are a funny bunch, occasionally creating some lackluster pictures, but every so often you get a solid animation. I feel as though The Croods is kind of in between. It's script is definitely unimpressive and slow at times, but it runs at a speedy pace with choppy scenes of adrenaline rushing action sequences, followed by the slow reflection of the ignorant cavemen. I wouldn't day worthy of an Oscar this year, but the Croods is definitely worthy of admiration and applause from both kids and adults.
August 12, 2015
funny, engaging and prehistoric action! This movie is a must watch for anyone.
August 10, 2015
The Croods is a harmless film, it has some laughs and some touching moments but it doesn't reach its potential, this movie could've been a major hit but there were too many missed opportunities but overall its a fun feel good movie with some amazing visuals
August 8, 2015
Foolish and cowardly.
½ August 8, 2015
I really liked this movie although, I could have done without Nicholas Cage's voice as the dad, both otherwise it was great.
August 8, 2015
The Croods is funny, entertaining, and quite touching
August 6, 2015
Lovely story and very funny at times!
½ August 3, 2015
Heartwarming, fun for all ages, my 7 year old loved it. I miss Nicolas Cage!
August 2, 2015
Love Nicholas cage this movie is better than national treasure 1 and 2
July 27, 2015
0Cheesy, but so cute. Any Dad who's watched his daughter grow up can relate and the jokes are FUNNY!!!
½ July 26, 2015
The animation is spectacularly gorgeous, especially for a Dreamworks Animated film. The only flaws here would be the overprotective father-to-his-daughter trope that appears in some other animated films for families, and the climax does drag on a bit. But other than that, it's near great.
July 25, 2015
Really great animated movie. I had a smile on my face the whole time with some great comedic moments and love able characters.
½ July 16, 2015
My Eight yr old niece LOVED this, and as much as I love the Toy Story movies and plenty of animated movies, I was only mildly entertained here.
It was like Antz, all about the personalities, and not at ALL about the story or the emotions.
I hated Antz for spending most of its time letting big name stars make mild caricatures of themselves.
Totally unfunny.
This film is not that bad, but was just ok to me.
I think my niece and I saw it again on dvd, but I'm pretty sure I spend a good chunk of time getting something to eat in the kitchen or dozing off on the couch.
Great for kids, mildly ok for the 'rents.

2.5 out of 5
½ July 14, 2015
6/12/2015: An ok movie. An interesting story, but that many laughs.
July 11, 2015
The funniest cartoon since "Up".
July 5, 2015
I gave this movie a B
½ June 30, 2015
Not bad. Not great. Some entertaining moments...some slow parts.
June 25, 2015
The Croods is a mishmash of good & odd choices. The animation is good and has a lot of bright, beautiful colors. However, it lacks a bit in the story department. I don't know whether to praise or criticize the creatures in this movie. They take things like a saber tooth tiger and gave it fur that's all the colors of the rainbow. There's another giant creature that attacks them constantly that looks like kind of like The Cheshire Cat. There's two different giant animals that attack them. Why? Had there been a moment where they tame one to help fend off the other, I could understand it. In the end, both of them were tamed by the family (one of which is not even shown being tamed). Seems like a missed opportunity for extra conflict. I found it funny that at the end, they pretty much had a pet for every family member. Seemed like overkill on the cutesy animals to me.

That's one of the biggest problems I have with this film: there's such a lack of legitimate conflict here that I got bored and annoyed with watching the family just walking and getting into minor inconveniences most of the time. "Oh no! There's a bunch of pointy shells on the ground! What can they possibly do to survive this harrowing situation? Oh wait, Guy knows how to make shoes - problem easily solved." I know it's a kids movie, but I really feel like it could have thrown in a bit more drama for the adults and would have left the entire audience more satisfied.

It's worth noting that the trailer made it look like it's Eep's (the teenage girl) journey, but this film is really mostly about the conflict between Grug (the dad) and the character named Guy. However, that's generally the bulk of any real story here. The rest of the film is just them running into relatively minor inconveniences.

As for the characters themselves, most of them are pretty good. Ugga (the mom) kinda gets lost in the shuffle and almost looked too much like her daughter, Eep. Eep actually got on my nerves a bit.

The film had a lot of good things going for it, but I feel like it could have been so much better. Kids will probably love it, but I think it's hit & miss for adults.
½ June 20, 2015
One of the worst films I've seen ever