The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing Reviews

Blaster1618
September 11, 2010
Editing was always something I was aware of in the conveyance of timing continuity and emotion, but until I watched this I had no idea of the evolution of the form. Some of my favorite scenes and how the timing made it happen. For example Spielberg talking about the shots of the shark in Jaws looking fake and how he and his editor counted the number of frames they could keep it believable. 33 frames horrifying, 37 frames fake looking rubber fish. Speilberg comments on the weeks it took to get this malfunctioning contraption to work and in the finished work 33/24th of a second In addition, the movie covers the originators of film thought it was an amusement until the addition of editing. Through the 20-40?s were editing was strictly controlled in form. It moves on to Bonnie and Clyde and Trousseau and on into modern digital editing. George Lucas talks about how he was an editor before a director, that explains allot. If like me you like to absorb and understand all about the movie process to know how thing go right and more specifically why things go wrong this is a must see. Why may I say it?s not five star, surprisingly the editing of the interviews is not very good and they run a little long winded.
½ September 10, 2010
"My editing process is an intuitive process; it's what feels truthful, it's what feels strong, and it's what works."

"The editor has the most objective eye in that creative environment." - Steven Spielberg

"Editing is manipulation. We're manipulating reality as the audience sees it." - Michael Kahn
August 28, 2010
Wonderful documentary. Even after everything I've done, it's amazing to see how creative and important the role of editing can be in the creation of a motion picture. Even without having seen a majority of the pictures they gave as examples, I was still able to follow what they were trying to express. While a little out of date (I think the most recent movie they had was Episode II: Attack of the Clones), the techniques and the skills that editors have developed is simply amazing.

Check this out if you enjoy editing or if you're simply a fan of film itself
August 11, 2010
The Cutting Edge was nice to learn the different styles of film editing. The camera views change the scene which makes a seen or breaks it. The film is definitely good to learn the styels of directors on different genres of movies.
Harlequin68
August 11, 2010
[font=Century Gothic]"The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Editing" is a mildly interesting documentary about the art and history of film editing, starting with its invention which made narrative films possible. It is fascinating that women were many of the pioneers in this field. Film clips are shown, of course, along with directors and editors discussing their special relationships.(I would have liked to have seen a director like John Sayles who edits his own films, so I could compare approaches.) And there is also footage of veteran editor Walter Murch working on "Cold Mountain." What the documentary describes is how an editor shapes a film through pacing and how the editing can manipulate an audience which can be both bad and good. "Schindler's List" is an example of a movie where the audience is told what to feel while Michael Haneke excels by constantly challenging the audience's expectations.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]However, the documentary is sadly only told from the viewpoint of Hollywood films with nothing about foreign or independent films(Nothing on "Memento."), except as innovators like Vertov, Godard and Eisenstein.(And as long as we're talking innovators, where's "Citizen Kane?") For example, there is a huge difference in the pacing between "What Time Is It There?" and "Moulin Rouge"(2001) which was apparently edited in a wood chipper. Yes, digital effects are neat toys but they are no substitute of the humanity of real actors. And it does not touch on the thorny subject of where a film is taken out of a director's hands and re-edited without his permission.[/font]
½ August 11, 2010
For documentaries it is hard to make a review on because either people hate documentaries or like them it is never in between. In my opinion I did not like this movie because even though the movie showed a lot of different styles of editing films it was still very boring.
½ August 11, 2010
Interesting editing techniques are revealed, and the interviews with directors are also useful in helping to explain the relationship between the director and the editor. Similar to the cinematography documentary "Visions of Light", I found that I liked this documentary now that I have a better knowledge of film and hopefully better taste as well that would push me to inquire about filmmaking techniques.
80/100. This is a must see documentary for any serious film buff. For all you
folks out there that dismiss older films, you may be surprised by your
favorite directors such as Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Steven
Spielberg and James Cameron praising the magnificence of silent films
and many classics. Without these classics and the skill involved in
making them, today's movies wouldn't be what they are. A brilliant and
informative documentary. It very thoroughly explores a movie art form
that is often not understood and certainly unappreciated. The editing
of a film is very instrumental in its success. However, not many people
appreciate it.
[color=magenta][i]Cry Baby[/i] [b]9.5:fresh:[/b] s[/color]
[color=#ff00ff][/color]
[color=#ff00ff]I forgot that I never put the quotes up here from when [b]John Waters[/b] came to Full Sail. Dad came with me and we sat about ten feet away from him! He was so awesome, not freaky and weird like you'd think- just a chill, creative, cool guy. The kind of guy who my family would probably hang out with. He was honest and straightforward, and amusing as hell. I'll make sure to post that stuff soon. [/color]
May 19, 2010
A fascinating look into the editing process.
May 5, 2010
First, the good parts: there's some classic scenes here, highlighted for the stellar work of the film editors. There is an abbreviated history of film editing. There are directors talking - in public, no less - about the debts they owe their film editors in creating masterpieces. (Spielberg talking about editing the scenes with the mechanical shark from "Jaws" is very nice - he's humble & funny.)

And then the bad parts: too much Q. Tarantino (who should be used like a garnish rather than as a spice - the filmmakers use him here like a waiter with a pepper grinder who won't listen to you when you tell him to stop). Too little actual insight into the process of editing a scene (though there is some nice moments with a sequence from "Cold Mountain" that I wish had been expanded.) Too much pontificating on editing in broad terms rather than dealing specifically with certain films.

Overall, I'm glad I watched it - but this is not a great documentary.

NOTE: on Netflix streaming, this is rated PG. With the level of violence in some of the scenes that are shown and the number of F-bombs dropped (remember: Quentin should be a garnish!), this is probably closer to a R rating. You have been warned.
½ April 4, 2010
Thought this movie was going to be boring but was actually very informative. Cant believe how much editing well can change a movie.
February 28, 2010
This is a must see documentary for any serious film buff. For all you folks out there that dismiss older films, you may be surprised by your favorite directors such as Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Steven Spielberg and James Cameron praising the magnificence of silent films and many classics. Without these classics and the skill involved in making them, todays movies wouldn?t be what they are. A brilliant and informative documentary. It very thoroughly explores a movie art form that is often not understood and certainly unappreciated. The editing of a film is very instrumental in its success. However, not many people appreciate it.
½ February 7, 2010
"I think great editing skills will.. will.. protect a director from suicide." - Sean Penn

never underestimate the power of an editor.
FilmFanatik
February 6, 2010
Excellent documentary on the medium.
January 19, 2010
Wonderful documentary on a wonderful profession.
January 18, 2010
A pleasure to watch. If you're a filmmaker of just an enthusiast you need to watch this.
½ December 13, 2009
Bon documentaire sur le montage!
December 7, 2009
Good look at the overall process of movie editing.