The Day of the Triffids - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Day of the Triffids Reviews

½ March 18, 2015
While more serious and closer in tone to the book than the 1960s version, it's just as dull, which leads me to suspect it's the source material I don't like. It's a story that gives bizarrely little focus on the fact it has giant man-eating plants in it.
November 29, 2014
Watched it at home the word for me is brilliant.
April 23, 2014
Quite Freaky. Even More-so When You Realise These Plants CAN Actually Move!
½ March 26, 2013
A movie about nature's revenge. This time with triffids theat came wild and reminding octopuses kill or blinding people Can rate it above R15
September 24, 2012
Best version I've seen, the opening titles used to creep me out as a child. Leak soup anyone?
Directors Cat
January 4, 2012
The Day of the Triffids was a mini-series based on a best selling book that lasted for 2 episodes. Both of them were good. They were exciting and stayed faithful to the book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I prefer the 2010 Remake because it had even more stunning action sequences and was darker than this one. I believe both deserve theatrical releases because they had everything a good apocalypse film should have.
½ November 26, 2010
This miniseries starts out equal parts interesting and corny, but by the end becomes an engaging post-apocalyptic survival drama. The styrofoam triffids are silly at first, but are scarier once they acquire mobility, moving parts, and long-distance communication. The novel and show seem to be inspiration for some more recent works, e.g., 28 Days Later. Worth watching in one sitting.
October 27, 2010
So I watched it as a film when its really a two-part mini-series so it did feel like it was a very long movie, so luckily it was worth it because I thoroughly enjoyed it :) Never seen the original nor did I know much about it so I had no expectations before watching it. I always seem to love apocalypse films and this one did it perfectly, with or without those killer plants ;) A little corny at times but in a way that simply worked. Overall I loved it and now I'm rather keen to see the original.
September 20, 2010
This cult classic mini-series from the early 80's is too ridiculous to hate and too earnest to take seriously. I got several good belly laughs out of it, at any rate.
September 20, 2010
an interesting well acted science fiction classic that predates the more gruesome zombie movies and movies like "28 days later".
March 18, 2010
This is a cult gem with a nice take on the 63' version, and BBC special effects.
February 10, 2010
For starters, this is actually a 6-part British tv series, which was confusing when I saw it because it still had the opening and closing sequences in the movie-format. The hero of this story moved so slowly through the story I'm surprised that the triffieds didn't get him, which brings me to my next point: the triffids. They weren't as scary as I thought that they would be, neither were they a central part of the story. Even so, not an awful series.
January 3, 2010
BBC is remaking this one.
December 27, 2009
August 9, 2009
This should have been titled: The Day of the Blind People and the Strange Disease.

157 minutes. A six episode mini series that was about 3 to 4 episodes too long.
90 minutes would have been optimal.
But then again this was more about blind people, a strange disease and human nature than Triffids.

The stupid plants weren't even the real menace here!!!

Quite interesting that the disease took a back seat to the Triffid problem. If you could actually call those plants in the film a problem. A nuisance like crabgrass more like it.
The disease was killing just as many people if not more than the stupid plants.

I enjoyed the '60's movie much better than this and from a science fiction point of view the movie was far superior.

Oh, and the intros to every episode started to get on my nerves. When the first episode came on I laughed my ass off. Totally reminded me of The Planet Of The Apes television series. Very cheesy.
½ July 25, 2009
A great miniseries which stays quite true to the book, to the extent that the entire first episode was a boring monologue recited from a hospital bed, but don't worry things pick up from there. The visual effects are simple but still effective. Definitely worth a watch for fans of the book, or post apocalyptic films.
½ May 6, 2009
This is an epic apocalyptic mini series that ran on the BBC in the early 80's. Its smart, scary and never boring during its 3 1/2 hr run. This is the way apocalyptic horror should be handled! This is one of the best apocalyptic sci-fi horror stories ever! Its as intelligent as Dawn of the Dead! And in some ways more.This had as much if not more influence on 28 Days Later! It just doesnt get much better than this folks!
May 4, 2009
This was eighties sci-fi cheese at its best. I wish I'd seen this before seing 28 days later as the latter was a total rip off :-D