The Dead - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Dead Reviews

September 28, 2015
Similar to Altman's swan song A Prairie Home Companion in its rumination on death and tonally consistent with the work of Terence Davies, The Dead is Huston's final film and (fittingly) touches on themes of memory, nostalgia, generational differences, and ultimately the rejection of death. Gorgeously shot and well-acted, it may be a low-key chamber piece, but it deals in lofty existentialism that lends it a more universal effect than similarly-structured works.
August 13, 2015
well crafted period pic
October 23, 2014
The great John Huston's final film, where perhaps the greatest Irish cast has ever been assembled on screen,The Dead celebrates the beauty of the English language, the challenges of marital love and the intimations of mortality which can bring us back to an exaltation of life.
May 8, 2014
Huston's final film is his final masterpiece.
½ April 27, 2014
Charming but quite uneventful. Certainly not something I'd watch for entertainment, which isn't a bad thing, but not something I would really even enjoy watching through a second time. I'm sure it's true brilliance is beyond my cinematic knowledge though.
February 8, 2014
Based upon a James Joyce story. Directed by John Huston. At times funny, morose, wise and soulful. A great American art film. There are more beautiful moments in any ten minutes of this film than ten other combined.
February 1, 2014
A sweet, somber ending to a grandiose career.
November 24, 2013
Rich and intricate, yet modest and dignified, like the lace Ireland has been so well noted for, this was (right down to the 'friendly pity' of the husband towards the wife not really his) a brilliant interpretation of Joyce's best short story (my favourite anyhow). Made by a dying man, the film shows no trace of desperation or self-indulgence in its theme. John Huston's condition at the time of making it seems to have done nothing but enrich the pathos of his touch. A soft, but strong, farewell.
June 13, 2013
Irish bourgeois gather for the Feast of the Epiphany in this adaptation of James Joyce's story.
When I read Joyce's story in Dubliners, I thought that it was unfilmable. The conflict exists in the passage of time, the inability to really know another, and the inevitability of death -- all themes that can be conveyed but with the subtlety inherent in Joyce's writing. And when I finished John Huston's adaptation of the story, my opinions haven't changed. What emerges in Huston's work is a work of too much subtlety, and I doubt that I would understand the story's point had I not read Joyce's original work. In fact, I think the film is a good "visual Cliff's Notes" of the story.
The performances by Anjelica Huston and Donal McCann are both quite strong. I've never seen Huston as vulnerable as she is in the final scene, and her performance gives the film the grace and emotional power it needs.
Overall, this is not a bad film; it's just a good attempt at the impossible.
½ March 24, 2013
This last film directed by John Huston is based on the James Joyce short story of the same name. For my money it is better than the story (You won't often hear me saying that.) with it's slow, sad unfolding of a tale of love and loss. Each performance is a little gem, each moment filled with meaning.
January 28, 2013
John Huston's last film is the moving adaptation of James Joyce's story The Dead, taking place at an upper class family New Year's Eve party in Dublin in 1904, after which a wife confesses a love affair she had long ago to her husband after hearing an old ballad. An intense film, delightful to the eye with the wonderful art direction, and the poetic cinematography that follows the complex actions of that one night well. John Huston really displays his experience and talent with this final great movie, where great performances were required from the cast, and great performances were delivered.
½ December 16, 2012
One of the best adaptations of a written work (a brilliant one, one of the best, in this case) I've ever seen.
October 18, 2012
It carries a whole universe of emotions.
½ August 15, 2012
With son Tony Huston writing the script and daughter Anjelica Huston in front of his camera, John Huston's last film is an intensely personal, spiritual, and sad one. However, it crackles with pointed moments of retrained humor and startling humanity, retrieving it from any kind of terminally depressing territory. Also stunning to look at.
½ August 1, 2012
john huston's final film is rather boring and feels as if it drags on and on, despite only being a little over an hour and twenty minutes. when it was all said and done, it felt quite pointless and a waste of my time.
½ June 22, 2012
John Huston's screen adaption of the famous James Joyce novel The Dead was the master director's last film. The story is set in the first week of January 1904 in Dublin where a bunch rich friends is having dinner, all of different shapes and thoughts, we get to know what they are doing and what kind of awkward moments that might arrive, and political view. It isn't much, and it isn't my kind of movie to say it straight, but I really felt for some of the characters and could set me into their mind, so I give it a thumbs up.
½ May 25, 2012
John Huston's penchant for storytelling is on display in this period piece. Similar to any number of Irish-based films before the Troubles. Anjelica huston kind of hanms it up in this. eh. it was aight.