The Distinguished Gentleman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Distinguished Gentleman Reviews

August 17, 2016
Eddie Murphy as a con man who mistakingly becomes a congressman is the theme for this tired, disappointing comedy.
July 27, 2016
I'm talking with my kids about the election and trying to explain to teenagers about that you cared by Congress men votes. And since they're so young minded this is the only movie that I think that they could relate to you on what I have been trying to explain to them. It's not available on Netflix it's not on Comcast. I hadn't seen the movie in a very long time. But I think that they would understand the concept that I've been trying to explain
½ May 15, 2016
Nothing extraordinary, but classically funny Murphy is still worth your time.
½ April 7, 2015
Here's where Eddie really starts to lose me.
April 21, 2014
A total stinker! Eddie Murphy has been in some pretty bad movies, but this has to be one of his worst. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
January 3, 2014
Gotta like the older Eddie Murphy flix...
September 26, 2013
Far better than people give it credit for. This was a competently made and acted movie. Sure its cheesy and formulaic, but it was still a fun movie and provided a lot of laughs and funny moments. Not a masterpiece, just a fun popcorn movie- exactly what it promised to be.
½ July 20, 2013
How Am I Just Seein This lol
January 7, 2013
Murphy's comic brilliance is at the service of the story and he positively shines with a number of diverse and zany impersonations, most enjoyably a Jesse Jackson takeoff. While the result is inevitably middle of the road, it still manages to be the funniest picture Murphy has made in quite some time. Murphy shows an easy versatility, going for guffaws one minute and pulling off a grinner the next. The film is content to remain at the level of the mildly entertaining, with no real surprises and not much sass. It has a few good laughs in it thanks to Murphy, but mainly depends for its appeal on an uncomfortable manipulation of racial stereotypes. Eddie Murphy does his patented routines effectively, and the dialogue has some pungent moments, but the movie doesn't succeed as the "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" update it would like to be. The Distinguished Gentleman prefers to give us measured laughs at a leisurely pace, and then it settles for the sellout upbeat ending. Ho hum. Uneven but occasionally quite funny political satire.

VERDICT: "In The Zone" - [Mixed Reaction] These kinds of movies are usually movies that had some good things, but some bad things kept it from being amazing. This rating says buy an ex-rental or a cheap price of the DVD to own. If you consider cinema, ask for people's opinion on the film. (Films that are rated 2.5 or 3 stars)
December 26, 2012
Eddie Murphy at his finest, as a con man who tricks the voters into electing him to Congress, where he finds the big con going on in earnest. Entertaining, funny, revealing, and a viciously satiric criticism of our political system. With Sheryl Lee Ralph, Victoria Rowell and Lane Smith.
December 7, 2012
Havent seen this ??? Maybe should get round to seeing.
October 31, 2012
This movie was one of Murphy's funnier older movies, with some great jokes and acting by Murphy with a strong supporting cast.
June 27, 2012
Ca demarre calmement, le rythme n'augmente jamais et EDDIE MURPHY est clairement seul pour brasser du vent et ca dure pres de vingt minutes de trop, mais MONSIEUR LE DEPUTE est un film sympathique, chaleureux et assez amusant, si on s'accroche un peu. Pas un des meilleurs de MURPHY, mais un des plus originaux.
June 4, 2012
Its not the best movie...but it gives a chuckle. Don't overthink it
June 2, 2012
Eddie Murphy carries this movie with his trademark persona as a con man who's elected to the House of Representatives. The storytelling approach shows its age, but the script has bite to it. This was the last decent movie for Murphy until The Nutty Professor.
April 16, 2012
YOU DIALED 1-800-FONE-SEX!
May 28, 2011
Mr. Murphy goes to Washington.
½ May 18, 2011
The Distinguished Gentleman is an entertaining film. It is about a Florida con who uses the passing of a U.S. Congressman to get elected. Eddie Murphy gives an amazing performance. The script is well written and witty. Jonathan Lynn did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed this film because of the comedy. The Distinguished Gentleman is a must see.
May 7, 2011
I love Eddie Murphy and this is one of his better early films.